Those boats going into Llandudno Rog bring back some magic memories of growing up in the 50s...............Mam and Dad took me for a week every year.............to Rhyl....and enjoyed sailing down the coast to Llandudno and Colwyn Bay in one very much like them or could even been one of them......

Edit.......nearest i ever got to going on a Cruise...;).

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have often hired houseboats on the magnificent Murray River in South Australia with two other couples. We book a boat where each bedroom has its own en-suite. The boats have all the mod-cons.

Myself and friend used to hire a row boat on the Trent when we were at primary school. Nobody seemed to bother in those days. When I was at Mellish I was a cox for the rowing crew. We were based at Br

One of our fishing club members is nick named 'Captain'. Some years ago 8 of the club came to stay in my cottage in France, to do a bit of trout fishing. When they saw that I had in fact got 3 boats i

Technically most of these are ships with the exception of Brittania which is a yacht,all surface craft, a true boat is a submarine

Rog

read that somewhere

Correct. My father who had been in the Navy during WW 2 was always correcting people who (wrongly) referred to ships as boats and pointing out that submarines are boats.  He was also keen to point out that a Union Jack is only called that at sea. On dry land, it's a Union Flag.

• Like 1

Being picky it's wrong to only class subs as boats, except maybe in the navy,

Boat etymology:

small open vessel (smaller than a ship) used to cross waters, propelled by oars, a sail, or (later) an engine," Middle English bot, from Old English bat, from Proto-Germanic *bait- ........    long before submarines were invented.

Easiest way to tell the difference...I was told this many moons ago." You can put a boat on a ship, but you cannot put a ship on a boat".

• Like 3

One of our fishing club members is nick named 'Captain'. Some years ago 8 of the club came to stay in my cottage in France, to do a bit of trout fishing. When they saw that I had in fact got 3 boats in the hanger I was promoted to the 'Admiral'. The Captain was miffed :cool:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Soon (in June) I am going on a cruise. Only on a London canal though. From Little Venice to Camden Should be fun , wonder if they have shows and dancing. :laughing:

• Like 1
On 5/3/2024 at 1:09 AM, Brew said:

Boat etymology:

small open vessel (smaller than a ship) used to cross waters, propelled by oars, a sail, or (later) an engine," Middle English bot, from Old English bat, from Proto-Germanic *bait- ........    long before submarines were invented.

Do they still do the naval battle at Peasholm Park in North Scarborough? As a kid I used to enjoy going to watch it. If I remember correctly, they had submarines too. You could hire boats on the lake and there was a miniature railway thereabouts too

I've seen "youtube" video's of the naval battles on the lake but don't know whether they still have them, worth checking youtube to see them Oz

Rog

19 hours ago, plantfit said:

I've seen "youtube" video's of the naval battles on the lake but don't know whether they still have them, worth checking youtube to see them Oz

Yes I did check plantfit,thanks.

The naval battles are still going, operating between July 1 and Sept 2 on Monday, Thursday and Saturday. 4 pound 50 for an adult and 2.50 for a child or 12 quid for 2 adults and 2 kids. Interestingly no apps or pre booking through a rip-off ticket agency, pay at the door only

• Like 1