At one time, wasn't it possible to purchase self assembly kits of Mirror dinghies, to build yourself at home?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have often hired houseboats on the magnificent Murray River in South Australia with two other couples. We book a boat where each bedroom has its own en-suite. The boats have all the mod-cons.

Myself and friend used to hire a row boat on the Trent when we were at primary school. Nobody seemed to bother in those days. When I was at Mellish I was a cox for the rowing crew. We were based at Br

One of our fishing club members is nick named 'Captain'. Some years ago 8 of the club came to stay in my cottage in France, to do a bit of trout fishing. When they saw that I had in fact got 3 boats i

Yes, they were made by Bell Woodworking at Thurmaston Leicester. I went with a van to collect the kit. It was mainly marine ply held together with epoxy coated grp. I had never sailed before but I knew a local farmer who had a lake stocked with trout for the Nottingham Fly Fishers. I sailed weekends and evenings out of the trout season at ten shillings a session. Many years later I took up windsurfing and sailed on a lake at Thurlby near to Plantfit’s. He may well have been responsible for excavating it.

We certainly was responsible Phil, after Thurlby quarry was worked out we moved to the new site called Norton Disney quarry about a mile out of the village, funnily enough I have a video tape and a DVD of work being carried out at Thurlby complete with Tug boats pushing a dumb barge same as the ones used at Attenborough and Hykeham quarries,

A Bantam tug ( 7 ton) being lifted out of Hykeham lake ready to go to Attenborough

Bantam_tug_being_lifted_from_Hykeham_lak

Bantam_tug_being_lifted_from_Hykeham_lak

Rog

• Like 2

I love boats and had one for fishing for the last 60 years. Nothing big - just 10' - 16'. Still got a 16' Tehri boat with small Honda 4stroke and an electric outboard.

I'm in a fishing boat most weeks - Carsington tomorrow then a local water on Friday.

I have borrowed bigger boats - a Princess 30' motor cruiser and a traditional Norwegen Folkboat for sailing in Scotland.

Going to Ireland for a weeks boat fishing in a fortnight and then up to the Highlands for another week a month later. Even if the fishing is not that great it is satisfying to be out on the water in wild places. The silent electric outboard makes it quite peaceful.

• Like 1

Like your pictures Rog., but tell me, where is the mess deck or heads?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

The only Boats ive had owt to do with were rowing boats down the 'Embankment''....about 2 bob for an hour...back in 61/62....

Oh yes not forgetting the   odd thursday half day closing...over at 'Highfields'' '.......couldnt swim back then....but never told the lucky Lass...i was rowing for........after nearly 'Drowning'' a couple of times decided to learn to swim when i was 30....

As was the great 'Rod' when he sang this........now nearly 80 he still looks and sings good...........

I am a massive Rod Stewart fan and have been to see him in concert so many times.  Talking of water venues, I used to go to Carrington Lido as a child with my mum and loved it, also the boating lake on Queens drive (?) where we used to sail my brothers little boat and paddle. 

• Like 1

Can anyone remember the disco boat on the Trent ?

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I taught myself to sail in on a nearby pond in Mirror dinghy which I built myself and later sailed an Enterprise dinghy at Notts County Sailing Club Hoveringham. 

The Enterprise is a great little dinghy. I built a Cadet and a Fireball whilst at school. Learned to sail in a GP14 on Sutton Reservoir. My 14 year old grandson has just taken it up and thoroughly enjoying himself sailing on open water and the river. 

Willow, I remember Ed Stewpot playing Josh MacRae's version of Messing About on the River on Children's Favourites on a Saturday morning. Some good 60s footage in this clip.

• Like 3

I remember listening to this song on Saturdays Childrens Favourites way back and another song not sure of the name something about Little Boxes.

• Like 1

Oztalgian, yes I'd forgotten about Mcrae's original. I heard it often on  children's favourites. And some evocative videos here.

IMO there are few activities that can match inland sailing a single crewed boat for pleasure. My brother got his sailing certificate and passed his knowledge on to me during broads holidays. 

1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

Ian Finn, yes Pete Seager, little boxes all made of ticky tacky

Burl Ives sang many of those songs too on Childrens Favourites.

Ugly Bug Ball, Big Rock Candy Mountain, Little White Duck and I Know an Old Lady.

Listened to them all when travelling to the Forest away matches in the mid sixties

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Beekay said:

Like your pictures Rog., but tell me, where is the mess deck or heads?

Mess deck in the little cab, heads out the back door lol

Rog

• Like 1

Working barge in Town Lock Newark

Newark_24.04_(9).jpg

Rog

• Like 3

I remember the barge traffic on the Trent during the 60’s. Trent Carriers used to advertise ‘Humber Ports to the Midlands’. There was a dock and a large warehouse at the bottom of Trent Lane. At one time Whittaker’s of Hull used to bring fuel from the Humber refineries up to Colwick. The river used to be dredged to accommodate the barges but that no longer happens and the river can be as shallow as 1 metre deep in places during the summer. I believe there are still some gravel barge’s operating on the tidal stretch below Cromwell lock.

• Like 2

View from the cab of a loaded gravel barge heading toward a foot bridge at Long Eaton through the Attenborough nature reserve

Heading_towards_Long_Eaton_bridge_with_a

Rog

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I remember the barge traffic on the Trent during the 60’s.

John Harker barges transporting oil played havoc with my fishing gear when they rounded the bend on the up river end of the anti flood wall at Fiskerton. first the draft sucking all the water out and then the wash sending it all sloshing back. You really had to hang on to your keep net and your fishing basket/box and rod.

Here is a link to a very interesting article  A History of the Trent Basin by Mark Patterson\

Trent-Basin-–-A-History-by-Mark-Patterson-1.pdf (trentbasin.co.uk)

• Like 3

Balmoral coming into Llandudno pier

P1050332.jpg

P1050331.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

They are all part of the so called green energy we are all being hoodwinked about Lizzie

Rog

• Upvote 1

Maike D on her way to Grangemouth just gone under the Forth railbridge

P1050898.jpg

Rog

I’ve been over that bridge by rail (on the way to Perth on business) and under by road but I’ve never sailed beneath. I’ve also been to Grangemouth when it was owned by BP Chemicals (now owned by Ineos). The trip to Grangemouth was an interesting day out. East Midlands to Glasgow, hire car to Grangemouth. A trip round the laboratories to discuss polymer technology followed by lunch. We then had a few hours to kill so we drove round the Trossachs, past Loch Lomond and back to Glasgow, picking up a haggis on the way, and then a flight back to EMA. Home in time for dinner! I wish I was back at work again.

• Like 2

Brittania and Hirta at Ocean terminal

2009-1228-Scotland20090019.jpg

and Jura at Leith

2009-1228-Scotland20090020.jpg

Christmas 2009

Rog