Nottingham by the sea

Ayup all,

Paid a visit to good old Skeggy today and had a great time, Bag of chips with salt and vinegar, mug of coffee, walked along the front and took in the sea air, great, lots of people there all having a good time. finished the day off with a bag of do-nuts and another mug of coffee. No need to travel far, after all it were good enough for a week when we were kids and everyone spoke the same language. you could pick out the Nottingham accents though

Rog

• Upvote 3

You're just saying that to make us jealous. See if I care says Alison sticking her tongue out, and making "nair air" type noises, in good Nottingham fashion.

Alison

• Upvote 1

Mary and I did that at Christmas - but we had the chips in Sutton-on-Sea, washed down by a pint of beer!

We drove through Skeggy, then up to Sutton-on-Sea. It was amazing how many people there were in Skeggy on Christmas Eve - and a number of coaches dropping folks off at the hotels along the front! They were probably all from Nottingham!

When I worked for the NCB, there was always "Miners Fortnight" when they all went for their summer hols. Skeggy was still popular, but for some reason the Leicestershire miners preferred Yarmouth! It still makes me laugh when I think about the first day back - and they would all talk about who from t'pit they had seen on holiday!

• 8 years later...

Every miners fortnight my Grandma & Granddad would pick one of the Grandkids to take with them to Chapel-St-Leonards‎ in his rented van you would then be there personal slave for two weeks fetching water from the tap, emptying that shit bucket under the van, fetching quart bottles of pale ale & fags from the beer-off & sure everyone was dead white? You don't see dead white folk anymore ..... why is that?

• Upvote 1

I remember the first Saturday of the fortnight holiday going to the Miners` Welfare to join the coaches for the Derbyshire Miners` Holiday Camp at Skeggy. One year there were 9 coaches. We must have nearly filled the place. The kids played on the beach with their friends from school and neighbours had a pint together in the bars as usual.

Great stuff!

• Upvote 2

Radfordred's post about a rented van at Chapel reminded me that my only wife-swapping experience, ever, was in a rented van at Chapel! and that was a very long time ago.

isitsafe

Better than nothing.

Remember catching a train from Bulwell Common for either Skeggy or Cleethorpes back in the day. Half of Bestwood Est. was on it. Departure was I think 08:05. I'd be about 10.

Also remember a good few day trips by train. A highlight on the way there was looking for 'Boston Stump' on the horizon. Highlight on the way back in the dark was looking for the red lights (Aircraft warning) on the spire of Lincoln Cathedral.

Bus trips were pretty tedious. Seemed to take hours. 'Are we nearly there?' Then what seemed like miles and miles of roads where you went achingly slowly through seemingly enless suburbs etc. then. 'I can see the Sea!!' 'Where?' etc, etc. :) All good fun in the end.

Col

• Upvote 2

If your father worked in one of the local pits do you remember the "Pit Trip" where all the kids all went to the seaside for a day trip.

The men all contributed a small amount from their wages and on one day a year we all went on the train to the seaside. I know at some pits the trains left from the pit yards to far away places like Skegness, Mabelthorpe, and even as far as Cleethorpes (uggh).

We all had vouchers for pop and crisps on the train and many spent the journey with their heads hanging out of the windows on the doors.

The day involved a very early start, the journey to the coast, morning on the sands struggling with deck chairs and wind breaks, making sand castles and if you were brave a dip in the sea. Fish, chips, peas, bread and butter and a pot of tea in a café for lunch and a pint or two for the men in the nearest pub.

Then on to the amusement park and boating lake with yet more vouchers. Buying rock novelties

My day usually finished with a sand fight on the beach with your mates, concealing the odd stone inside the "sand bomb" and aimed at someone to get even for something that happened through the year.

The journey home was usually quiet as many of the younger ones fell asleep and strangely enough I can't seem to remember a pit trip that we got rained on?

• Upvote 2