Who's stood and watched this then ?

I must admit I have but many moons ago where is it? I have two places in mind Brod marsh centre or Victoria St

;)

Aaah Gordon Scott's. One of the few bastions of traditional service remaining in Nottingham.

I well remember the regular visits to their Friar Lane shop for sensible lace-up school shoes and crepe soled holiday sandals.

My mum always insisted on Start-Rite even when I really wanted a pair of Pathfinders or Tuf slip-ons - brands she considered "common".

I could never have wayfinders either as I had wide feet and they didn't do them in a double "E" fitting (no wonder I always got lost ) and do you remember the soles with the animal tracks on them?

;)

We always had to have "Clarks" shoes for school - yes, the plain, ordinary, "serious" ones! In the summer we would also get the crepe soled sandals - it must have been the era, 'cause my mum wouldn't let us have anything else - I remember desperately wanting a pair of "basketball" shoes! - what Americans call "high-tops".

We do see "Clarks" here from time-to-time, but they are no longer made in Northampton. However, Mary bought a pair a few years ago and claims they are the best "work" shoes (school Principal) she has ever owned! Maybe mum knew something!

I am under the impression that Clarkes shoes are now made in (or near ) Glastonbury of all places!!

;)

Their HQ has always been at Street, near Glastonbury.

They were badly effected by cheap imports some years ago, closing some of their Somerset factories, notably a big one at Weston....seemingly now back on an 'even keel'.

If ever you are down there do visit their superb 'Clark's Village' at Street.

http://www.clarksvillage.co.uk/

Cheers

Robt P

I seemed to remember it The wife has an uncle living there ( he was the mayor of Glastonbury for a while) and I vaguely remember him dishing the dirt on their family problems can't remember what it was all about but it was juicy at the time !!!

;)

Clarks shoes are all imported now. The company had a run in with the European Commission recently about the imposition of extra tariffs on the shoes from their Chinese and Vietnamese factories.

As a youngster I could never work out why they were called Clarks but the logo (to my eyes) said Clanks.

smile2

post-11-1178026835_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now there's a bad name for a 'Posh' road , if ever there was one !

I used to deliver to several houses up there regularly, and I sware this next bits true, I got more in the way of Christmas tips from one house in Clifton than I got from all the big 'Posh' houses put together

I bet there ain't one house with a tatty old fridge or a broken down decaying old car out the front though ...LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...