Various old shops, now gone.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before self-service.  When there was a sales assistant in the middle of the counter at M & S.  

Posted Images

I have made a New year's resolution to come back to town in the New year and walk around breathing it all in again. maybe I'll get to have a beer with a couple of you guys! :smile:

I just found out that my 95 year old aunt isn't doing too well, so I will be making a trip back probably in February. I'll put up the info as soon as I make the reservations so perhaps we can all meet for a beer in the Poacher one evening.

I thought the tailors in Trinity Square was Moss Bros? - at the top of Kings Walk (opposite corner, Forman Street)

There also used to be a tailors on Clumber Street on the corner with Lincoln Street. Bought my first made to measure suit there and paid for it weekly - cost over £30 :Shock: - but it had Flares and big wide Lapels :biggrin:

The next suit I bought was from the Birdcage on Bridlesmith Gate.

Aaah Hepworth's, My first made to measure suit around 1971.

It was a grey woolen material large checked patern with a fine pink stripe.

Flares of course.

I must have wanted me head tested.

Hepworth were opposite the Odeon Cinema, where Next is, If it still is.

And in the same block dont forget PEARSON BROTHERS, another sad loss to the city.

And in the same block dont forget PEARSON BROTHERS, another sad loss to the city.

It was the fire that saw off Pearsons. Don't forget the posh furniture shop - Griffin & Spaldings.

We never shopped in there though we were poor, had to take the beer bottles back to the offey to get the deposit for me mam so she could buy 5 Park Drive Tipped to keep her going until payday.

She was much to proud to take bottles back. Suppose that's what she had us kids for girlvboy

Sorry Charlie for going off track about Mcfisheries but i remember a Gents clothing shop on Arkwright st near Agnes st was it called Jeffs, i think they also had a shop on Alfreton rd.

I got my first pair of Wranglers from there and a Ben Sherman shirt.

Jeff's International Fashions purveyors of high waisted Oxford baggies to the gentry - usually bottle green with turn-ups, 30 inch bottoms and more buttons/pockets than you would believe possible. Even as a teenager I thought they looked ghastly.

I believe Jeff's also had outlets in the Broadmarsh Centre and on Goose Gate.

post-82-1197371488_thumb.jpg

These would look great with yer bags.

I got a pair of oxford bags from Jeffs in the 70's too (The only pair of 'fashionable' trousers I ever had)

Don't forget the posh furniture shop - Griffin & Spaldings.

Frank, I always remember Griffin & Spalding as a department store, not a furniture store. In the sixties my sister worked in the record department and the haberdashery. Her husband-to-be worked as a window dresser there too.

Might you be thinking of Waring and Gillow by any chance? They had a store on King Street but previously I've an idea they were on Long Row. Stand to be corrected on that one though.

Waring and Gillow moved into Jessop's old place on King Street when the Vic Centre opened. That building was and maybe still is the city's number one fire hazard.

I think Frank may be thinking of Henry, Barker, Smart and Brown. They were on Angel Row and their shop was notable for its curved plateglass shop windows. The building is now the City Library.

Oh and I mustn't forget Hopewells who occupied buildings on Upper Parliament Street at the junction with Milton Street.

Guess who got dragged around town by a mother who was rather keen on shopping.

Anyone remember Tobys on Friar Lane? It never seems to get a mention. It was [to me] a posh gift shop, not really sure exactly what they sold, was it just gifts, tableware etc? Can't remember going in there, a bit out of my price range.

Anyone remember Tobys on Friar Lane? It never seems to get a mention. It was [to me] a posh gift shop, not really sure exactly what they sold, was it just gifts, tableware etc? Can't remember going in there, a bit out of my price range.

That's a pretty good description I'd say. Glassware, pottery, ornaments that type of thing. The building is a pub and venue nowadays.

Baker and Plumb on Derby Road for anything in white wood or Gold and Dunn out at Beech Avenue (Forest Fields) for your traditional furniture.

And then there was that smell you always got in carpet shops ... Taylor's on Parliament Street with their resident "spider".

I think it was still there a couple of years ago, I will stand corrected, (There was a big Toby Jug outside) it probably went the way west when Lakeland opened round the corner on Wheeler Gate ,I know Lakeland are predominatley a kitchen ware place but a lot of their stuff is very similar

I remember Toby’s, didn’t they have a system of pipes, that when one paid for an item your money was place in some sort of container that in turn was placed inside a pipe that led to a cashier who in turn returned the container with your change inside or have I lose my marbles altogether?

Footnote....I now catch my bus back from there. Toby's is now a fancy bar of which I don't recall the name of...shall take note next time I'm passing.

Bip.

A lot of places had and still have those systems (INC my local Morrisons) The 'Big CO OP springs to mind , Some of them were made by SOVEX MARSHALL of Carlton. (Used to be on Cavendish Drive and moved to Colwick in the late 80's ,I used to do a lot of haulage for them and have lots of amusing stories there (Another forum I think))

I remember "Toby's" too - one of me mums favorite shops (to look in the window). I vaguely remember buying a Toby Jug (of all things) there one Christmas for her. Must 'ave been after I started with the NCB 'cause I couldn't afford it otherwise!

Even now, I think Nottingham is a great place to shop and Mary makes sure we always take a day in town whenever we are over there - she will tell you it is the prettiest city in England!

You may be correct about the Griffin & Spalding. I must be suffering from increased brain cell death rate at the mo.

What was the name of the shop with the curved windows opposite the rear of the Council House? Was it Boots before they moved into the Vic Centre?

That's the first-ever original Boots store, mate. It's where it all started.

I thought the original store was down Hockley on the right.

Years ago we went to a restaurant upstairs in what we were told was the the original shop and the restaurant was called 'Jessies'

Frank is right, I took my mum in there for a meal once and took SWMBO a couple of years later (We walked out the second time cos of the lack of choice on the menu) .But there was something up on the wall all about it being the first shop etc

I'm brain dead at the mo.

Just posted 2 replies in the wrong thread - doh!

A slight mistake on my part Stu - not realising that Hockley becomes Goose Gate part way down. Here's a link to the history of Boots the Chemist http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BUboot.htm

And another link which refers to the move to Pelham Street http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/southwold/pro...local/jesse.htm