The last time I was in the Sherwin bip, it was owned by an organisation called Shipstones!

sherwinarmsbramcote.jpg

That must have been some time ago Red2?

From what I can glean from the web, the Sherwin arms as well as the White lion on Town Street Bramcote Village were both licensed at the same time in 1844, there also use to be a post office at the Sherwin arms.

The Sherwin arms got its name from a wealthy family who lived in the Manor at the time.

Bip.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie Young used to keep the Moor farm inn/Bramcote manor on Coventry Lane about ten years ago, the place is now a Church.

Not now Den, I drove up the track last week, they are building what looks like factory units.

That must have been some time ago Red2?

From what I can glean from the web, the Sherwin arms as well as the White lion on Town Street Bramcote Village were both licensed at the same time in 1844, there also use to be a post office at the Sherwin arms.

The Sherwin arms got its name from a wealthy family who lived in the Manor at the time.

Bip.

Good picture bip - is that a recent one? Certainly the Sherwins were a local landowning family. I remember the paper shop nextdoor to the pub (was it called Oakley's?). I think they operated a Post Office too? Maybe still do. They delivered our papers until the Bramcote Hills PO & newsagent opened in Sevenoaks Crescent in the mid fifties. I had my first beer in the Sherwin about 1970 and moved away in 1978.

The White Lion (aka "Top House") was a Kimberley house and definitely preferred. There were three other shops in Bramcote in Chapel Street but that's for a "Bramcote" thread - not Crap Pubs!

Good picture bip - is that a recent one?

I would say as recent as within a couple of years Red2.

Bip.

The post office next door was run for many years by Gerald Clough, brother of Sir Brian, it was not unusual to see the great man behind the counter on Sunday mornings.

Not many people would know that, Cheers Mickety....I didn't.

Bip.

The post office next door was run for many years by Gerald Clough, brother of Sir Brian, it was not unusual to see the great man behind the counter on Sunday mornings.

Was he sober?

Unusual for him on any given Sunday morning!!!...... LOL.

Any way what was a post office doing open on a Sunday?

Was the Sherwin arms a John Barras pub ? whoever he is .

I believe it was, btw, I noticed that their two for one sign is gold and black, not the more common (cheaper) yellow and black.

I havent been in, but from the outside the only difference i can detect is where the smokers go to for their drag.

PS WHY ARE THERE TWO THREADS DISCUSSING EXACTLY THE SAME THING?....CRAP PUBS, AND NOTTINGHAM PUBS YOU DISLIKE?

PS WHY ARE THERE TWO THREADS DISCUSSING EXACTLY THE SAME THING?....CRAP PUBS, AND NOTTINGHAM PUBS YOU DISLIKE?

Crap pubs was moved from the Long Eaton Cinema's tread to its own tread ? Who did that silly billy ? PUBS YOU DISLIKE? was at @ that time running ?

Evening all. Whats the Beekeeper pub like in beeston? I am going there next thursday as my son gets married on that day and we are going there for a meal afterwards. Chrissy. x

Because, just because a person dislikes a pub, it doesn't necessarily follow the pub is crap!

Evening all. Whats the Beekeeper pub like in beeston? I am going there next thursday as my son gets married on that day and we are going there for a meal afterwards. Chrissy. x

Again not been in for several years even though I lived only a stones throw away, not a place I would go for a drink only in, all plastic and MDF fittings.

It was once called the Boulivard IMMSMC, it's not changed much since it was built, it's on the corner of Meadow lane and Queens road with the Chilwell golf club just over the road, can I just stress that at no time I was a member of said club.

Regarding food at beekeeper, that again I can't really say what it's like now but back when it was called the Boulivard the food was quite reasonable and easy to digest if one chewed fourty or so times before swallowing.

Bip.

Because, just because a person dislikes a pub, it doesn't necessarily follow the pub is crap!

Agreed, or maybe not, if a person dilikes a pub, more than likely they will describe it as "crap" So same result whether or not it is actually crap, or they dislike it, or its crap, or if they dislike it, or its crap, or if...............................get the picture?

In my opinion Yates has been ruined by the bleeding ear level of music they play in there

It's never been the same since they got rid of the string quartet ;-)

I'm afraid I rarely went in the place - had to boycott it since they threw out my mum and her mates for being too rowdy in about 1942!

Crap pubs - Flares - Libertys - Reflex - Yates's Wine Lodge - Thurland - should all be renamed the pits

Shudders. Reflex and Flares. Memories of all day Sunday in The Turf with Zippy and then onwards !sickly!

ATTACKER BIT OFF MY NOSE IN NOTTINGHAM BAR

09:00 - 14 March 2008

This man had part of his nose bitten off in a brutal attack in a city centre bar.

Scott Sheehan, 23, was left horribly disfigured after the assault in Liberty's, in Upper Parliament Street.

Sounds like a crap pub to me !

(Unless you have a `nose' for trouble)

Practically all those Upper Parliament Street pubs look awful. I can't speak from recent experience as I wouldn't go near any of them with a barge pole.

What really bugs me is when I see Flares and think back to one of my favourite old haunts, The Tavern in the Town which I used to really like in my college days. The place looks absolutely absurd.

Flares, is that it's latest incarnation?

I used to go in there regularly until I moved abroad. I also used to drink over the road in 'The stage door' in the week it was my local, for some silly reason, I was good mates with Mr Lloyd and it also made it convenient for working next door at 'Arrabellas'