That beam engine that you mention Mick, is in the industrial museum at Wollaton Park now , awaiting 'Doing up'. It went there in about 1990 and is still not working!!

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be no mention of Terry Flynn who I believe used to be on the door of the Dungeon before emigrating to the Beachcomber and then onto the Commodore. I heard he died 6/7 years ago.

I remember Terry, he was a buddy of Mick Parker (Dungeon owner) He did work the doors as you said. I also heard that he died a few years ago

I remember Terry, he was a buddy of Mick Parker (Dungeon owner) He did work the doors as you said. I also heard that he died a few years ago

I remember Terry as well, in fact, his sister used to work in a factory opposite where I lived, as a machinist I believe, and I used to be envious of the leather coat she had, as it was the "in" thing to have at the time. I also remember she had knock knees, and unfortunately looked like Terry!!

Hope she doesnt read this!!

Anyone remember Dave Brown, who also did the door for a while? He used to live around the corner from me when I was a kid.

Does anyone remember Robert Hirst and the Big Taste who were regulars at the Beach?

Remember them well they played a lot of gigs in Nottingham..........You should ask DJ Petal about them they were mates of his

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the staple diet of soul and Motown, there was some "non black" music played, the main criteria was that you could dance to it, in fact I remember Barry the main dj was off one time, and Dave, who always stood in for him, apart from when Mr Stringfellow was there, played The Beatles "Theres A Place" and he quipped, "Come on, you know you can dance to it!"

some of the tracks I recall were:

Pretty Flamingo, Manfred Mann.

Here Today : Robb Storm.

Last Train To Clarkesville : Monkees.

Monday Monday & I Saw Her Again: Mamas & Papas.

Substitute : Who

Out Of Time: Chris Farlowe.

Plus stuff from Amen Corner, The Action, Zoot Money, Gary Farr & The T Bones, Rod Stewart (in Shotgun Express) and more.

Im sure other Dungeon dwellers will remember a few more?

• 2 months later...

There was also, and I believe it was real, a sign "The Liverpool Overhead Railway" this was as name suggests and from what I remember of it having been on it during school trip I think in 1956 it was as per you see in old American films, likes of New York, Chicago etc 1940/50s

• 2 months later...

Ive seen the film many times, but in all honesty, I dont remember Jimmy's scooter having green side panels with a red flash, and I cant take a look at the dvd cos my sons lost it!!!

Re early replies etc, Mick (Mike) Parker had a partner (maybe the man in the suit) called something Hopkins, hired me to do some wiring, there was another guy I recall Terry Flyn, re the GPO "job centre", I think they had a "contract" with all Nottingham schools, all leavers sent for an interview there, though in my day 1962 it was at Broad Street, Parliament Street end, Did Dungeon have a change of music thing? distinctly recall going to see "heavier" type of groups there inc The Jaybirds (later Ten Years After of Woodstock fame) who did an all nighter (I think) Craig, you mentioned Graham Asher a couple of times? same Graham Asher off Chard Terrace? if so remember his sisters? !yowza! ditto if him ask him where my bloody haversack is! lent it him in 1964, still not returned it

• 2 weeks later...

Ashley, yep, that Graham Asher! I also havent seen him in years!

Re Terry Flynn, he stood on the door at The Dungeon, I hear he died a year or so back, but could be wrong.

As for the music policy, the club changed to 8 till late, and another name thats gone out me head, so different music could have been played.

And no, I didnt watch Quadrophenia in b&w!!

I remember going to the Savoy to watch it many times when it first came out in 79.

It's if somebody just looks at the poll this thread becomes active!!

Sorry, this is totally unrelated, but I've got to start somewhere..................

Doe's anyone out there remember Gabby,'Dusty' French, Mondo Caine? about 66/67 at the Dungeon !englandflag!