Not a lot of people know that

No matter how mundane or boring our lives are, we all must have something interesting about the area we live in, that not many folks might know. If we all put one thing down at a time, we can stretch this out a bit! We might learn something, you never know.

Coconino County, which I live in, is the 2nd largest county in the whole of the United States, coming 2nd to San Bernadino County, California. We have 18,661 square miles. I know you were dying to know this.

Next please.

Johnny Briggs (Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street ) was evacuated to Winsford during the war.

The airport in New Hudson (Y47) where I keep N597W was originally built after the war to train returning soldiers who wanted to use their GI bill to become pilots. It originally had two grass runways!

Arizona's economy is based on the 5 C's. Cattle, Citrus, Climate, Copper and Cotton.

Loppylugs, you could tell us Georgia's 5 P's of their economy.

My mums house (In Carlton ) was the first house in the U.k. (Maybe even the world) to be connected up to a metal telegraph pole!! We had a visit from a council representative to tell us. I thought we might get a "Blue Plaque" to prove it !!!

The Piggly Wiggly makes Safeway sound pretty boring. First time I heard of it, I thought folks were kidding.

We went to a poultry farm on the southern tour, pretty stinky, but a huge industry.

Braintree was the home of those appalling pre-war steel Crittall windows, found everywhere, now owned by the French, with a token, high tech, but unused, factory, still in the town.

Bocking and Braintree was the home of Courtaulds Textiles, now long gone, though Julian Courtauld, a lovely man, the direct descendant of those famous Hugenots, is Liz's boss and lets us keep our ponies in his barn for naff all.

You'll know the company Beefsteak, Courtenhams Haulage at Blackmore End, you may have delivered there, I'd be interested to know if you did.

Not many people know this.

In WW1 the Sherwood Foresters and Notts and Derby Regiment were conscripted up your way, trained up, shoved onto trains down to Hatfield and forced to march over to Bocking, causing mayhem and fear and loathing in the towns on the way, particularly Dunmow, where they got drunk and slept in peoples front gardens.

On arriving here, they were billeted in local houses nearby and ordered to dig defensive trenches around the town, just in case the Germans invaded, unlikely, but having marched miles they were then forced to protect Braintree from the Hun, poor sods. Not much light relief before they died in the real trenches. It's very sad how I've never been able to find any evidence of their efforts either, nothing remains, though there is a bit of an odd ditch in father-in-laws next door neighbours garden where they apparantley started this exercise, does anyone know more.