Theres a leaflet appeared in our local Stainbury's...parking will be 2 hours for free soon for shoppers......yep that means that all the council car parks round here are getting meters...we heard rumours that this may happen but residents were tryin to squash it....looks like the council win again....so the supermarket dont wanna get used fer its car park...whats new we all ask ????

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY? Kimberley is dead!!!!Sainsburys killed it off anyway.....at least morrisons at eastwood is away from shopping parade hence there still is a parade of shops that are used - that is if you want your hair/nails done...or you fancy a mooch around a smelly charity shop!!!! God knows there are tons of them!

We are watching the Slow death of Beeston at this time.

When McDonalds move out, its got to say something about the future!

Supermarkets are here to stay...obviously.My beef is with the local authorities kow towing to their every whim.

Hundreds of shopping centres,high streets,and markets have been destroyed by such as Tescos.

They have been allowed to grow too big and powerful.It was bad enough when they just sold food,but now....they're even destroying the big boys like Comet and Currys never mind the little man.

When Sunday trading was allowed they were restricted from 10am to 4pm if the store was over 3000 sq ft. So what have they done?...opened hundreds of smaller stores to by pass the regulations.

If you do all your shopping with these giants..then don't moan when the high street and markets disappear.

Britain full of giant stores and nothing else...No more local butchers,fishmongers,fruit and veg.Just streets full of charity shops,estate agents,travel agents,and to let signs....you're welcome to it.

Yep i agree ..Kimberley is dead...its tried to come back to life with a 'wilkinsons' ....but its here now for mainly the people who dont know how to venture past the end of the road they live on.....and theres loadsa them. ....we usually shop at Morrisons in Eastwood.

I agree Mick....Beeston just isnt what it used to be at all.....Sad realy.

We are watching the Slow death of Beeston at this time.

When McDonalds move out, its got to say something about the future!

Do you think beeston would be helped out if the tram goes through it?

It's done nothing for Hyson Green...from Wilkinson Street to Bentink Road there must be a hundred empty shops.Just a few years ago these shops had a huge grant from the EEC to upgrade a deprived area.The sight of a junk shop on Bentink Road fitted with expensive electric security blinds thanks to the taxpayer was a sight to see.

Alfreton Road is as bad...One day I can see the whole shopping area being demolished and new housing being built, if the Council ever have the guts.They may as well...these shops are just history now.

I have to say how appalling and run down Stapleford and Sandiacre was when I visited at Easter, it was a similar story at the old Firbeck estate shops, destroyed by the overpriced Co-op on Trowell Road. On the other hand, the shopping centre down Wollaton Vale seemed quite thriving, or is that because Wollaton is posh.

Do you think beeston would be helped out if the tram goes through it?

The tram will only help all the students to get about without pushbikes.....Itll also be a short cut for people in chilwell to get to Tesco. ( viewing all the derelect shops along the way ). So they can tell their children " i remember when there were shops here - as far as the eye could see "....another reason the next generation will think the 'oldies' have lost their marbles.

Places like Wollaton don't do bad...the better off aren't so fussy about their shopping bills, more interested in service and quality.There are a lot of very well off pensioners round there...not all...but more than many areas.

Those blocks of estate shops are nearly all desolate wherever you go...except for the odd chinese chippy that is.

Nice to hear they named a whole estate after you Firbeck...didn't realise you were so famous. :rolleyes:

beeston could be revitalised with the right sort of shops and bars......just been to visit my son in crouch end north london...loads of thriving small shops with a great urban buzz.......not a giant supermarket in sight!!! ...

I agree about Beeston and now they have dug up the High Road to relay the block paving making it even harder to get to the shops. Looks like we are going to get a junk shop where McDonalds used to be.

Val

I have to say how appalling and run down Stapleford and Sandiacre was when I visited at Easter, it was a similar story at the old Firbeck estate shops, destroyed by the overpriced Co-op on Trowell Road. On the other hand, the shopping centre down Wollaton Vale seemed quite thriving, or is that because Wollaton is posh.

I lived on wollaton vale and I'm not posh!

The parade of shops on bramcote lane, off wollaton road were always busy.... generally good quality shops. I had a friend who owned a chippy/chinese in heanor and he always got his veg from the greengrocers on Bramcote Lane even though it is a fair distance. Praps because you can park outside these shops? Although they are hellishly small parking bays!

Mind they do have a sommerfield!!!!!

Somerfields has now gone it is now a Spar, not any old Spar but a Eurospar, first one I have seen, although I dont know what the difference is. Between the various companies that have had that shop they must have all spent a fortune on refurbing it as they have all gutted it and put all new shelving and fridges in. What a waste.

Eurospar eh??? wonder if UKIP voters will shop there??

If I was an exec. of the company I think I'd avoid the word Euro with all the public suspicions of politics and Europe.

When I lived there, sommerfields veg was always good on bramcote lane. The butcher although from kimberley way was fairly good but very expensive. However I can reccommend a fantastic REAL butcher been in family for 3 generations... praps fringer will know? He is in newthorpe, and is called Barlows...... even when I lived in wollaton I would get my meat from him..... very reasonable. Although sometimes the queue would be out the door! He beat melton mowbray on his pork pies... I am salvilating thinking about his home cured bacon!The bacon here is cr**p compared to his!

somerfields in Beeston is going to be a Morrisons, this store has also been changed around a lot. Although the new Lidl on Wollaton road opens next month so it seems like there will be too many shops and not enough customers.

Although the new Lidl on Wollaton road opens next month so it seems like there will be too many shops and not enough customers.

Don't worry the Councils decision to allow planning on new supermarkets will solve that problem by closing down the 'unnecessary' small traders....or as the supermarket bosses would say..."Lovely Jubbly"

Just as a comparison, I've just nipped up to Braintree town centre for some milk and a local paper, the market is on today and it is already busy. It stretches right through the town centre as the place is buses and pedestrians only. Quite frankly in half an hour the town will be packed, I know that some of the established shops have gone, but compared to what I read on here about Beeston and the like, we haven't much to complain about. We have a very attractive, small, low key and well designed shopping precinct in the centre, complete with a cast iron and glazed Victorian style bandstand and apart from M&S recently pulling out, it's got all the major stores, Smiths, Boots etc, but on a very small scale. A very pleasant atmosphere here this morning, all the many street cafes were doing trade with people sitting outside having breakfasts and coffees before going to work. I know that Sainsburies and Tescos are omnipresent in the town centre and many of the traditional shops have dissapeared, but generally speaking, it's a nice place to live, I know that I can walk 10 minutes up the road from home into the town centre via two attractive Edwardian parks without the fear of being mugged and more or less buy what I want, as my old man used to say, East Anglia is the last bastion of traditional old England, and I think I know why.