U.K. Visit in March

Just to let you all know - I have booked tickets to be in the U.K. from March 10th to the 17th. I will have a car and I'll be staying with my sister and BIL near Retford. Main reason for the visit is to see my aunt, who lives in Heanor and is now 97 years old! No other real plans - just visits to places I remember - Long Eaton, a day in Derbyshire, shopping in Nottingham, and a trip to Skeggy!

If anybody would like to get together for a beer - let me know. The evening of Friday 12th is probably the best time - but others are possible and I am open to suggestions for a location - The Poacher is fine, but if there are other suitable watering holes - let me know!

Would love to see Frank, Mrs. Frank, Radfordred, Fynger, denshaw, Mick, Ian - and if Kath can make the trip... Seriously though, I would love to meet any of you who can make it!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry can't make it. We are going over in February for a short trip and staying on the south coast with mother in law, it's her 90th birthday.

I hope so too, if not perhaps we can meet for lunch or breakfast/coffee/tea/whatever!

Just in case some folk don't think they are invited, "I would love to meet any of you who can make it" means ALL of you.

Perhaps it would be better to use the stop across the road from Blackpool Tower then head for Fleetwood, hopefully it will have a brake failure and deposit you in the sea, a rare sight in Hungary, it might do you good, nowt like an emergency to teach someone to swim properly in cyberspace.

Looks like the date is solid - so put a "save the date" notice on your 'fridge! Location to be determined - but probably the Poacher unless anybody has a better idea. I'm thinking of getting a hotel room for the night so I don't have to drive back to Retford which severely limits my drinking allowance!

I'll start saving me pennies so I can buy a round of halfs! - The dollar ain't what it used to be!

Eric

Don't know if you were looking for suggestions for other venues as a back-up? Personally I think The Poacher is a great pub but I can offer up The Old Malt Cross on St. James Street as a pretty nice alternative. It's a former Victorian music hall. Always a nice crowd in there with no hassle even on the busiest nights in town.

Love The Poacher though!

http://www.maltcross.com/

Don't think a gang of 10 could grab a seat in there (Least not the last time I was in there , but then again that was 1986/7.....LOL

• 1 month later...

Bump!

Get-together in the Poacher is still on for Friday March 12th. All friends are welcome - let's say about 7:00pm.

Stu - and anybody else who is interested - I will probably get there a little earlier in order to partake of some of their excellent food! I know you work in town, so if you are not planning on going home first, meet me there a little earlier!

Think I'll book a hotel in town that night so I don't have to drive to Retford - that way I can drink a little more - but I think three pints is my limit (getting old)!

Almost forgot - girlfriends, wife's, significant others, hangers on, drinking buddies, XYLs, partners, parents, lost souls etc., are also more than welcome to come along - especially if they are buying!

LOL!

It's on the west side of Mansfield Road, about 1/2 mile north from the Victoria Centre.

Excellent pub - read a review HERE

How old are you Limey if you don’t mind divulging that information, I’m the better side of 36.

Its just a maybe at the moment but I might be in that neck of the woods at the time you state, obviously I won’t know anybody so how will I recognise you?

Three pints is just a warm up for me, does the poacher sell green king beers may I ask, one of my favourite tipples is a pint or two of their IPA.

Brian - given the reaction you have had to questions regarding your location, interests, etc., I find it a little odd that you would ask such a question.

Besides, I completed my profile!

Ayup Brian,

I think your reference to Greene king IPA could provoke a response from one of the members,

I shall sit back and watch the outcome, by the way I keep a Greene King beermat at the side of my computer to remind me of the first time I met the other member

( nice bloke really) !cheers!

Rog