The Ray Gosling affair

I'd heard on local radio the other day that the regional TV presenter's appearance on TV later that night was going to be a 'no-miss' .

By now, I'm sure most will be aware that Ray Gosling, a presenter with BBC's early evening Inside Out programme confessed on-air that he killed his lover by smothering him in the hospital where he was being treated for AIDS.

I find the interview below slightly curious. When asked if he realised what the possible ramifications of his confession might be on national TV, he mentions that it was only broadcast for people in 'his country', Nottingham and the East Midlands, with which he identifies strongly. Did he somehow think it would end there?

He further goes on to say that in the eventuality of a further investigation by the police, (now taking place at Oxclose Lane police station, Arnold) he will 'say nothing'. I find this strange after making an admission for hundreds of thousands (at least) of viewers to hear.

It springs to mind what the doctor's thoughts were after ha head been asked to leave Gosling and his lover alone in the hospital, only to return to the bedside to find the man dead.

I want to add that whilst I don't agree with his actions I have a lot of sympathy for the man. He clearly still hurts and I really don't think it would be of benefit to anyone for him to suffer as a result of his admission at this stage.

A curious state of affairs indeed.

BBC man has 'no regrets' for killing ailing lover (video)

BBC News - BBC man has 'no regrets' for killing ailing lover

Police investigate Gosling's lover death confession

BBC News - Police investigate Gosling's lover death confession

• Upvote 1

Like you Stu - I have a lot of sympathy for the man - but agree his actions (and confession) are a little strange.

I will add that the brother of a longtime friend also died from the complications of AIDS - and it is NOT a process I would wish on anybody. It is a long, drawn-out and miserable affair that can drag on for years.

I feel really sorry for Ray, firstly watching his friend suffer then helping him to die with some dignity, then going through life knowing what he had done and probably thinking about it daily must have been terrible for him, now in his twilight years he has come clean as it were to clear his conscience, he should be left alone to openly grieve for his lost loved one

Rog

Apparently this bloke has form for ego-centric documentary revelations.

An earlier programme detailed his own personal bankruptcy...

Perhaps he now regrets his 'honesty'!

Cheers

Robt P.

• 6 years later...

Ray Gosling was an activist, anarchist & friend of the people. His incredible life is detailed in archives housed at Nottingham Trent University. The following film was created by NTU students (Trent Setters) in collaboration with Dawn of the Unread.

Some friends and myself went to a party of his somewhere on St Peters St in the mid 60's.we got out pretty sharpish I can tell you!

• Upvote 2

You got it Catfan !

• Upvote 1