plantfit

Cromwell lock tragedy

plantfit    2,835

Cromwelllock002.jpg

Cromwell lock memorial to the 10 part time soldiers (sappers) who drowned on exercise "Trent Chase" 28 September 1975, the place is eerily quiet, didn't even hear any birds singing and the water going over the weir seemed quiet as well,

Rog

Beefsteak    259

I remember the incedent vividly as I had just had my one and only visit to Cromwell lock fishing with my dad. It doesn't seem 35 years back.

....    11

Does anyone remember a not-dissimilar accident at Hazelford Weir?

plantfit    2,835

Cromwell_lock_002.jpg

Just re- adding the picture, if re-adding is a real word

Rog

philmayfield    547
On 24/04/2010 at 8:29 PM, .... said:

Does anyone remember a not-dissimilar accident at Hazelford Weir?

I’ve lived with a couple of miles of Hazleford Weir since 1962. I don’t have a recollection of any serious incidents. Back in the 60’s there was no footbridge across to the island. The only means of access to the house was by a boat and a stretched out rope from bank to bank where you had to pull yourself across.

• Like 1

Oztalgian    713
17 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve lived with a couple of miles of Hazleford Weir since 1962.

You live in a beautiful part of Nottinghamshire, I like to think it would have been where we would have lived had we stayed in Notts. Bleasby, Fiskerton, Morton and the like.

As kids we used to swim across to the island and later on regularly spent a few hours in the beer garden of the Star and Garter. When did they build the footbridge?

• Like 1

philmayfield    547
1 minute ago, Oztalgian said:

You live in a beautiful part of Nottinghamshire, I like to think it would have been where we would have lived had we stayed in Notts. Bleasby, Fiskerton, Morton and the like.

As kids we used to swim across to the island and later on regularly spent a few hours in the beer garden of the Star and Garter. When did they build the footbridge?

I think the footbridge was built in the 70's. The river is much cleaner now than when you used to swim there. You must have been very brave! The Star and Garter has closed. It's now a care home primarily for dementia patients. There used to be a model railway running round the garden which you may remember. I've spent many an evening in there when it was a pub. The only pubs in the area are the Bromley at Fiskerton, the Moon at Morton and the Waggon at Bleasby. The Coach and the Red Lion at Thurgarton are no more.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

catfan    8,970

My old boss had a caravan sited at Hazleford Ferry, we went water ski-ing in the Trent there.

Oztalgian    713
5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The only pubs in the area are the Bromley at Fiskerton, the Moon at Morton and the Waggon at Bleasby. The Coach and the Red Lion at Thurgarton are no more.

You were right Phil we often got a taste of the oil that was on top of the river.

If I remember correctly the Bromley Arms was a Kimberly house, the Moon was a Free House and the Waggon was a Mansfield pub.

Pity about the Coach and the Red Lion, alas many of the pubs I once frequented are now long gone. I regularly used to ride along the back road from Epperstone through Gonalston to Thurgaton and on to Bleasby but for the life of me I cannot remember the model railway.

Just looked on Google earth and can see the footbridge downstream of the weir, not where I would have expected it to be but logical to give free passage for river traffic.

philmayfield    547
1 hour ago, catfan said:

My old boss had a caravan sited at Hazleford Ferry, we went water ski-ing in the Trent there.

Did you know the Selbys who used to waterski there?

catfan    8,970

Vaguely Phil, nearly 50 years ago now !

philmayfield    547

My friend, Doug Selby, who used to ski at Hazleford, said he used to get a stomach upset after a mouthful of river water. Pollution was dreadful back in  those days.

catfan    8,970

Certainly was Phil, what I dreaded was the fishing hooks discarded by fishermen sometimes I thought a deliberate act. There was bad blood between fishermen & power boat users. Mind you the ale in the Hazleford Ferry wasn't the best either ! Could have been that.