As you may have noticed, I keep going back to my childhood since I joined the Forum...Well here's another one for you.......

I always looked forward to Saturday's because that was my Pocket Money Day...I coudnt wait and always got excited, sometimes I would blow the lot in one day or sometimes I would save it as I had a Hornby OO gauge layout and always wanted stuff for that so I would save up and when I had enough it would be a trip into Nottm on the 44 trolley and straight to Beecrofts or GeeDee's (?)and get the piece I wanted......

So when was your pocket money day and what did you do with it.....I cant remember how much I used to get each week, can you?

Owdtite..!

Depends how old you're talking about!! (Always a Saturday though, my dad would leave it on the mantlepiece for when we got up on a Saturday morning, so as he could have a lie in!!)

When I was about 6/7 I used to get 3d off of my dad, then we used to run an errand for an elderly neighbour and she used to give me sixpence (Which I always split with my sister, even though it was me that went 9 times out of 10!

After decimalization (1971)Dad gave us 10p, but my sister got an extra 10p for her bus fair to school (1p each way) but she always walked and saved the dosh (Which of course I thought was tremeandously unfair , until 2 years later when I went to senior school and I got it too!! (even though it was 2p each way by now and I still only got 10p extra!!!)Then mum started work and gave us an extra 10p a week for washing up and drying the pots after dinner every day

I then got a paper round which gave me a quid on a Saturday, I gave this up to do a Saturday butchers boy job for a quid, then I also delivered Readers Digest for a grand fee of £6 a month for about a year and a half too.

So for a period of about a year and a half I used to average £2.80p a week (Quite a bit for a 14 year old) then I started as an apprentice, the rest as they say is history!!

I don`t remember getting regular pocket money when I was little - and sweets were on ration anyway. I got my comic money on Beano day and my Grandma gave us a threepenny bit each when we went to see her after Sunday School. We`d sit in a row on her settee and when she got her purse out we knew it was time to go.

When I was 10 or so I remember getting two bob a week and when I was fourteen I started babysitting for a neighbour and looked after her four kids while they went to the pub Sunday night.

I got four shillings, a bottle of pop and two Park Drive.

I don't recall when I started getting spending money, but I do recall a tanner a day and half a crown a week. I used to nip up and see my Gran on a Sunday and used to walk away with 1/6d. Can't recall getting anything from my other Gran, except chocolate, but she didn't like kids, so rarely dropped by her house.

Around 1965, I was a deliver boy for the butcher top corner of Hartley Rd (NAME?)

I remember the good tippers, Machins, Churchfield Lane, who ran Machins Jeans Alfreton Road.

And a large house top end of Bentinck Road 2/6d from each, At least 5 bob a fortune to me in those days.

I used to get half a crown a week from me Dad on a friday, Mum used to buy me sweets and a couple of comics i think they were Bunty and Judy so i did quite well really

...my Grandma gave us a threepenny bit each when we went to see her after Sunday School. We`d sit in a row on her settee and when she got her purse out we knew it was time to go...

An excellent recall!

Certainly the exact same procedure with my Grandma...

When we reflect on such times, these encounters were full of time-honoured rituals and modes of behaviour.

Sometimes conclude that my Grandma's direct female descendants - through to the present day - have her inherent ways...

Classic example being the penchant for instantly stating the leaving arrangements, immediately upon arrival...very much a female speciality!

Cheers

Robt P.

This is where most of my pocket money went...The Duchess of Atholl....plus a 4-6-2 Tanker...Had a terrific layout and sold it to a Guy from Hyson green for £200....I thought I was a millionaire with all that money but it brought me my first Motorbike...200cc Tiger Cub...oh happy days..

Owdtite.

post-2521-041637200 1278154390_thumb.jpg

When we reflect on such times, these encounters were full of time-honoured rituals and modes of behaviour.

Yeah like my fat Auntie Evelyn with a moustache...Being kids we wanted to go out to play.She always brought us a Rolo...never anything else.

If we sat like good little boys while she stuffed her face with Mums cakes we got a Rolo.If we went out to play the old bitch took the Rolos back home with her.

Tight old cow ...no wonder she was a spinster.

I GOT 2S..6D WHEN IN JUNIOR SCHOOL THIS WENT UP TO 5 BOB AT SENIOR SCHOOL FROM DAD,HE ALSO BROUGHT US 5 BOBS WORTH OF SWEETS EVERY SUNDAY

MUM GAVE ME 1 SHILLING A DAY SIXPENCE FOR BUS FAIR AND SIXPENCE TO SPEND I USSUALLY CALLED IN AT BUNTYS STATION RD CARLTON FOR A TUBE OF SMARTIES WITH THAT.

MUM ALSO BROUGHT OUR COMMICS EVERY WEEK .

ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT I HAD TO EARN MYSELF USUALLY BABY SITTING 5 BOB A NIGHT AND RUNNING ERANDS FOR NIEGHBOURS 6 PENCE OR A SHILLING DEPENDING ON HOW FAR YOU HAD TO GO AND WHAT YOU HAD TO CARRY BACK,AND DOING A PAPER ROUND 7S..6P AND WHAT A ROUND I HAD TO DO 3 BIG HILLS OFF CAVENDISH RD CARLTON DOWN ONE SIDE OF CAVENDISH RD AND UP THE OTHER SIDE.NICE OLD COUPLE AT THE TOP OF BUXTON WOULD ALWAYS HAVE A DRINK READY FOR ME COLD DRINK IN HOT WEATHER AND HOT DRINK ON COLD DAYS.

REMEMBER WHEN I WAS 13 WANTING A LEATHER JACKET MUM AND DAD SAID I COULD NOT HAVE ONE SO SAVED UP MY PAPER ROUND AND BABY SITTING MONEY TILL I HAD ENOUGH TO BUY ONE SECOND HAND FROM SOMEONE I KNEW KEPT IT AT MY FRIENDS TILL DAD SAW ME IN IT ONE DAY WHEN I WAS OUT IN ITSAID I MAY AS WELL STAT BRINGING IT HOME

BABS

!englandflag! Used to be a threpenny bit,every Sunday morning just before Church (St Teresa's, Aspley) in 1956 & I was 5yrs old........it went up to a 'suzy' (Tanner) in 1960, my dad was always very careful...........however, once I'd passed my 11+ in 1962 & went to Thomas A' Becket Grammar, it rocketed to a shilling!!!!rotfl!