• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I say Cob.

We had some friends stay with us recently. Hubby and the other man were plaing golf early the next morning. Hubby said to Bob, I'll knock you up at 7am. Next morning Bob joked that he daren't go to sl

Intitt koad?

Posted Images

Was he with you or was he on his own? (Only took me 10 mins to work it out).......LOL

When i used to ask me mam where she was going she used to say there and back to see how far it was! And if i asked her for some money she used to say who do you think i am,Tom Micks! If i asked her what we had got for dinner she used to say a run round the table!

• 2 weeks later...

theres one ive not seen mentioned.........my dad always used to say it

'its looking a bit black over Bill's mothers'..............as in 'it looks like it is going to rain'

great thread......my partner is from middlesboro and she still cant adjust to the fact we all call each other 'duck' !rotfl! !rotfl!

• 5 months later...

Great, these threads keep appearing that I've not seen before.

Somebody mentioned that south Yorkshire and Notts dialects get mixed up, my ex father in law, who came from the Yorkie side of Worksop always refered to people as serri, I didn't hear that again until a had pal from Mansfield who used it all the time, then my nephew from Eastwood used to say it a lot, they were the only people I knew that used the word.

Beefy mentioned Marra, I thought that was a Geordie expression.

When I was a kid and on holiday Daan Saaf, I thought everyone spoke the same and went in a shop and asked for a sucka, they thought I was mad, I thought the same about them, I had to look on the list on the side of the fridge and give it's bloody trade name.

One thing that puzzles me is why I still refer to chip shops as 'chipoils', is this a Nottingham thing or, having Lancashire connections, an expression I got from up there, anyone know.

I once read that following the Norman invasion, the English language got into a regional mess of Anglo Saxon French and that a particular area, the East Midlands, probably because of the power of the Nottingham Castle barons, was selected as the basis for the English language as we know it.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know, the kids down here though seem to understand when I tell them to Bogger Off.

It is my understanding that "marra" was Geordie (at least, thats where I heard it). I think there are variations on "serri" - In Ilkeston I remember them saying "sorri", but I have also heard "surri" however, none of those were prevalant in Long Eaton!

It amazes me that a few miles in any direction produced a markedly different accent!

Ayup all,

A mate of mine uses the term "Marra" all the time, the same way as I use the term "Meduck" and he's only form Loughborough

Rog

When I first came to the States I worked for BPB Instruments. We used to get a lot of laughs from the locals trying to pronounce the company's home address:

East Leake, Nr. Loughborough, Leicestershire

Surprisingly, it was the Leicestershire that gave the most trouble!

A mate of mine reckons he was once asked for directions to Looga Berooga (Loughborough).

Den.

That was a p**s takey advert for something on Radio Trent cirrca 1989. It was taking the mick out of Australians asking for dirrections.

Tha expression 'Marra' seems to be used (From what I read here) around colliery towns , and as a lot of Geordies came south to work the coalfields, it probably rubbed off into the local dialect

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...