Quoting the previous post

Can we please stop quoting the previous post when replying to a topic, especially if there's a photograph in it. This uses up valuable band space and costs more to run !

If you are posting in any thread hit the Add Reply button at the bottom of the topic page, rather than the Reply button that is within the post. Ta

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think what Mick has missed pointing out, this site is not on a free server, Mick has to pay, the larger the data file, the more it will cost to keep up and running, hence the "Please don't quote" ru

Many forums will probably purge older topic to cut down on the size of their database. The whole point of this forum is that the older the post, the more important it is.

If the man with deep pockets 'aint moaning - why are you?    

Posted Images

But surely there are circumstances where the use of a quote is valid...

For example, I've just responded directly beneath a posting from Froggy - therefore no quote was necessary. But just suppose the post to which I replied had been 'further back', I'd have considered it reasonable to quote (or preferably use an edited 'part-quote') for the purposes of clarity.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hence the reason I wrote "Can we please stop quoting the previous post" and not "Can we please stop quoting from four posts back!! " I do notice that a lot of you 'part quote' which , in my opinion, is totally acceptable

Even if quoting from a few posts back it is still easy to remove the photograph.

But just suppose the post to which I replied had been 'further back', I'd have considered it reasonable to quote (or preferably use an edited 'part-quote') for the purposes of clarity.

Exactly what quote is for.

I have posted the following request In the forum software developers dev request area.

Can you please change the label on the quote button from 'Reply' to 'Quote',

Then move the ;Reply' button next to, and to the left of it?

We get problems with replies containing unnecessary quotes being made

by both newbies and regular members!

• 1 year later...

The latest version of the software has the quote button more clearly labelled.

When replying use the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread or the reply button, (not the quote button.)

If quoting only quote text from further back in the thread, and then only in moderation.

Quote then edit it down before posting reply.

• 1 year later...

Needs a bump.

I have noticed a few member quoting previous quotes time and time again in the same thread.

And two members doing it one after the other.

There is good reason for this rule. Our database is not unlimited.

I commented on this in April.

Posted by Michael Booth on 14 April 2013 - 12:24 AM in Nottingham Companies Then and Now

LizzieM, when I reply to a post I'll just put the hash number in. For instance, if I was replying to Ayupmeducks I'd put something like, 'Ayupmeducks, with regard to Stag Cabinet (#1), I can remember'.....etc. I could never understand why people want to copy and paste the post they are replying to.

However, a edited part-quote of a posting some time earlier, for the purposes of clarity, is sometimes preferable to "With regards to..." and will save time and space.

Part-quotes have been discussed earlier in this thread and have been endorsed....

I believe that the Administration is directing this request specifically at those that quote the entire text of a previous and, often immediately preceding post.

IMHO, in 99% of the time, quotes are not necessary anyway.

If Ayupmeducks had put a post on Nottstalgia and the post was either long, included a photo, or both, then it's better to just put the hash number in your reply to the post. This is what mick2me refers to and it's what I prefer to also.

Michael, fully agree with you if the post is long, a photo or both, then it is better to just put the post # (I just quoted you) but, in some cases it is quite reasonable to do part edits, providing they are small, of posts lodged some time earlier.

Just check the post of mick2me at #3.

I will stand corrected if mick2me disagrees with me and you can quote me on that.

Quite correct.

Quoting one line from even a recent long post is acceptable, to bring attention to that comment.

Selective quoting is fine.

However the latest quote system is not good. The quote characters are hidden and removing the first character in the quote removes the box?

Also its easy to leave your post text in the quote box causing confusion and looking like its an empty post apart from the post?

When editing the quote, put a space at the beginning of the quote and it allows you to remove the first lines without losing the quote box.

When adding your post at the end of the quoted text, add line feed to enter your text outside the box.

Please feel free to quote relevant text if it is a few posts away or on a previous page.

I do like the method members have developed of quoting previous post numbers such as is mentioned in #14 & #17 :)

Incidentally our database of posts (text only) is around 500mb or half a Gigabyte, so get reading :)

Oh I don't know Red , call 'emselves mods/admins ?!................. slywink

• Upvote 1

Someine must have edited them, I can see no problems in linked posts.

There are many more throughout the board...

• 2 weeks later...