Nottingham Midland To Edale

When I started hiking in the Peaks with the school club, we could go as far as Edale on steam trains. The most memorable event, apart from the high jinks on the train home, was on Bakewell station platform one dark winter's evening. We had waited a while for the train and were in conversation about the quality of the bogs around the back. There was a bend in the track from the north with a bank to the right. We saw the red glow of the fire reflecting off the trees before we saw the engine which then came rattling and wobbling around the bend. One of those moments that stays somewhere in your memory for ever.

The line to Buxton from Bakewell via Miller's Dale was especially scenic and I'm glad that some of it has been preserved as a walkers track.

One day, the train took us through Spondon and we saw some diesel units lined up. The death knell of steam and many branch lines. Travelling to the Peaks by car was just not the same.

• Upvote 1

Yes know that memory myself, used to go hiking with an aunt, think the "club" was The WTA? had a meeting room upstairs in a house on Waverley Street, every year they had a "snow ramble" via a train same route as you took then a trek up rushup edge, etc, memories of such are seeing a rotting dead sheep! collecting a "clean" skull of one, plus of course snow then first time I ever had gammon at Edale's Station Hotel later waiting on the platform watching late comers torches still high up on the hills. Aged about 16 with Egypt Rd Co-p youth club did similar journey though to Whalley Bridge and hitch hike with bell tent to Edale, all went well till tent poles/pegs left in boot of a car!

We, as a family in the early 70s, used to go on the 'Ramblers Special' every bank holiday Sunday. This though went via Sheffield "Totley Tunnel" and on to Edale after stops at Hathersage, Grindleford, Bamford and Hope (Not neccessarily in that order , the memory ain't what it was!!

It was always packed , I remember one Easter in particular they added 3 extra coaches at Nott'm to accomodate the overflow , that was before they tried to pick up in Sheffield!!

I thought that you might be interested to know that the 'Waiting Room' sign from Edale Station is currently fixed to my shed door, this fell into my very deep trouser pocket during a school hiking trip in the 60's.

Braintree Library

Fairfield Road

Braintree

CM7 3YL

Telephone: 01376 320752

Renewals: 01376 326057

Fax: 01376 553316

Library Opening Times:

Monday: 9.00 - 7.00

Tuesday: 9.00 - 7.00

Wednesday: 9.00 - 7.00

Thursday: 9.00 - 7.00

Friday: 9.00 - 7.00

Saturday: 9.00 - 5.00

Sunday: 1.00 - 4.00

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 year later...

I seem to remember there were two ramblers' trains on Sunday mornings. The first was about 9.30 for Edale, and at least in the 1950s it didn't actually go into Sheffield (which had a regular service to Edale anyway). But it did go through Derby, and there was usually much scrummage for seats there. After Chesterfield, it took the spur onto the Hope Valley line, then heading through Totley tunnel. The sequence of drop off stations was (and still is) Grindleford, Hathersage, Bamford, Hope and Edale. The second train was about 9.45. It also called at Derby, then I think Ambergate and all stations to Buxton. I have a feeling that this second train started from Lincoln.

I have a feeling I've written this tale before, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was here or elsewhere.

We used to get "The Ramblers Special" which ran from Nottingham Midland Station on Bank holiday Sundays. Quite ironic that the one that sticks in my memory most is one Easter in around 1972, I know it was Easter as Mum and Dad let us take some Easter egg chocolate "For extra strength."

We always had a crush to get on in Nott'm but this particular one was packed to the gunnels and there was a delay of half an hour or more whilst they perloined some more rolling stock from somewhere, making a train of around 8 carriages (IMMSC that was the maximum that Edale sidings could take) and we still had to stand all the way to Grindleford , not that it bothered a 10 year old !! There was always that anticipation for the great change of scenery as you left the darkness of Totley Tunnel to emerge into "The Country Side"

If I remember it correctly someone asked the pertinent question of the station master why the trains were reduced from their normal 8 carriages to the current 4 , to hear the reply "There's no call for them nowadays " !!

I mean just how blind did he have to be to not see that a train double the size still wasn't big enough !!

Just found where I posted my tale ( 7 posts up !!)

It must have been Derby where the extra scrum came from.

We used to go via Sheffield (Changed there) if we were Youth hostelling, and when we started to walk the Pennine way.

I too did the ramblers special a few times as kid and young teenager with The WTA (Workers Travel Assoc) inc their Snow Ramble (never saw any) to Edale, still recall names from there, Rushup Edge, Winnets? Pass, Loose Hill, Kinder etc, later with youth club went one easter via train to Whalley Bridge then hitch hiked to Edale, spent 2 nights under canvas held up by branches after someone (NOT me) left Bell Tent poles in boot of a car! later still went to Peak Rally at edale on motorbike middle of winter, another miserable cold night camping after evening ended in almighty punch up with one so called 41 club hard man dragged across room by his hair! and police shutting the pub lol

Another couple of features from that area that spring to mind, Ringing Roger, Golden Clough and The Grindsbrook Clough

Ringing Roger, Golden Clough and The Grindsbrook Clough

..and Jacob's Ladder and Edale Cross. Great places.

Always loved the Old Nags Head at Edale, possibly my favourite Peaks pub.

Stage%20six%20old%20nags%20head%20edale.jpg

Out of all the lines that were closed all those years ago that is the one you would have thought someone would have had the foresight to see its future for tourism. I agree with all the comments made, Millers Dale was my own favourite and no it's not the same to drive there. There is always talk of reopening the whole line but so far like the Butterly canal tunnel it's just talk.

IMMSC not a million miles from where those pictures were taken there's a pub called "The Bull".(Although looking on Google Earth the building I recall seems to be called "The Monsall Head Hotel") As a family we went in there once in my younger days, after what felt like a monsterous walk up from Cressbrook mill, any way a welcome glass of 'pop' and bag of crisps were perchased from 'mine host' none other than "Sir Geoff Hurst"

As mentioned in Ashley's post number 11, Winnats pass

Winatspass.jpg

Cycled up there a few years ago but didn't have the courage to cycle down

Rog

A bit further down the line from Monsal viaduct, Millers dale station or what's left of it

MillersDale.jpg

Rog