Just where is Ilkeston?

Ilkestonites?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Isn't Ilkeston in Derbyshire??

Derbyshire....thas where folk said they were when i lived there..makes em sound like they're in the countryside.

Long Eaton has always baffled me...in notts with derbys telephone Nos..Langly Mill are the same....and if you search for Sawley on google maps it says Sawley-Ilkeston.

Isn't East Midlands Airport similar? in Leicestershire, with Nottingham postcode and Derby tel no. or something along those lines? talking of EMA the "Nottingham" tag didn't last long did it? had to laugh when someone tried to explain why added, said lots abroad though Eastmidlands was a city, and how they couldn't call it Darby or Liecester, another laugh was went owners or whoever of "Nottingham Airport" (a field off the A52 with wooden hut full of dead flies) was going to go to court to prevent EMA name change! (nicked the description from Battle of Britain film) Anyway re Ilkeston think older people, those used to county borders, will retain the loyalty they grew up with?

Is Trowell classed as Ilson even though it's in Notts, the border runs up the centre of the Erewash doesn't it.

Not quite, I've just checked on Bing maps and the border switches to the railway line near the area of the old Ilkeston station, presumably that happened when the MR was built so that the station was within the Parish boundary and not in Notts, they even took the trouble to put the boundary on the far side of the 'Up' platform.

Isn't Trowell a Republic of some sorts?

Strange place I always found?

They've got to be Ilkestonites there, though the might deny it?

Regarding EMA

Leicester Airport? D*rby Airport? Don't sound right.

Derby already has an airport. Eggington International, as I call it.

Just off the A38.

I believe the Ilkeston Accent is clearly Derbyshire with its slang and inflections identical to those of the villages and towns further North i.e. Heanor, Codnor Riddings and Somercotes. Long Eaton appears to me, as an outsider, to be very similar to Nottingham in its speech.

Isn't Trowell a Republic of some sorts?

Strange place I always found?

They've got to be Ilkestonites there, though the might deny it?

Why was Trowell selected as the Festival of Britain village? Apparently it was supposed to be most representative of typical English rural life!! What, in the whole of England, who were they kidding!! Who worked that one out, a line of 1030's houses, a post office, a Co-op, a station and that was about it. Smacks of backhanders somewhere along the line, better than Lavenham, Abbotsbury, Thaxted, etc, etc, etc, I think not.

Yes...there was a Dronfield Place at Cotmanhay, when I briefly worked there some 40 years ago...

Had occasion to drive through a couple of years ago, and the housing has certainly changed since the late 60's!

Frankly, I've encountered many worse East Midland places than Cotmanhay, over the years.

Reckon Leicester takes the biscuit, with such dumps as Beaumont Leys, Saffron Lane, Newfoundpool and the notorious Braunstone Estate!

Cheers

Robt P.

But what about Cotmanhay? With all due respects: the armpit of the Erewash Valley :laugh:

cesspit more like.

lived in ilkeston for the last 5 years, born and bred in Hucknall..........very similar except ilkestons got better shops!! haha

Most folk in Ilkeston think that if you go to the bottom of Notts rd ( heading trowell way ) and you go round the bend at the bottom, you'll fall off.

Most folk I know in Ilson are round the bend anyway!