• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ashley, by messing around with various bits, I've got it in a format where the world can see it.

Weekday Cross Great Central Mainline

neither do the people of Hyson Green, Beeston or Clifton! (in my opinion)

Great set of photos / links. As I only live round the corner, I'll have to do some investigating.

Hi Cliff Ton have been looking on google map, this shows Barlock Rd then the reduced embankment to left (looking north ) of Rani Drive, next is the large warehouse & carpark then Fenton Rd and finally Heathfield Dive leading to Harmstone Rise. I have a section of a 26"? to the mile old map, this shows 2 lines that are approx double the width apart from normal going over Arnold Road on that "double bridge" The line of the left bridge section is "straight through" probably all the way from bagthorpe jcn points? the one on the right section however comes from 7 long sidings plus 2 head shunts which the map says are "carriage sidings" the warehouse and carpark looks to be at track level the other side of Rani Drive. The GCR Mainline looks to have been where todays Fenton Rise is, and Heathfield Drive and Harmstone Rise routes dictated by the line from the rathole. Sorry I am unable to send views of the map or google aerial view.

And Basfordred, look forward to your report! should be able to go up Rani Drive, and get on embankment from Fenton Rd

And as a total digression, the warehouse/factory building which keeps getting mentioned and is in the middle of all of this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.989509,-1.174103,3a,75y,216.26h,90.53t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRgoZnFXzRweipJg7BG6M9w!2e0?hl=en at least until the mid 90s was operated by Britains toy company who made (still make ?) all the toy soldiers etc.

• Like 1

Re # 181 the long brick wall just north of the BT depot has been partially collapsed for about a year due to either ground settlement or a vast ingress of water causing the wall to give way. A while ago I tried in vain to gain access from Park Lane to Ariel Drive but got lost. I walked through the kids playground and up an entry but it's a bit of a maze. Will have to re try soon.

Great to see that pic of the turntable. I can remember trespassing around there and getting chased off the premises by a yard forman effing it blind at us. It takes a while to remember what things were like so many years ago. When I started on the railway in the 1970s at Nottingham Carriage Sidings as a carriage cleaner, half the workforce on my shift were once cleaners at the carriage sidings near Basford North Station. They used to tell a few tales but mainly about the characters who worked there. I wish I had written it all down.

• 1 year later...

The Class photo of the class 31 was taken at an earlier date as the line is still double so I would suggest the line to Rugby/Marylebone was still open.

So could the train be heading for Woodford?

PS I think the class 31 still has it's first number 55xx/56xx/58xx

And it is still in BR Green

According to the book 'The Rise & Fall of Nottingham's Railway Network' Volume 3 by Hayden J. Reed, published by Book Law, 'six spans of the old GC viaduct to the north of Station Street, including the crossing of the Beeston Canal were reused with new cantilevered parapets to carry the platforms of the [then] terminus [at Station Street]. Initial designs had planned to use more of the GCR structure to the north of Canal Street, but the desire for clear space beneath the structure to permit development and the complexity of providing a connection across to Middle Hill led to the old arches being abandoned in favour of a new built structure.'