The Midland Nottingham to Mansfield line had quite a few "private sidings", some to be expected like to coal mines, gas works, and a railway wagon builders/repairers yards, Marshalls Wagon Works at Lenton and the Brash and Marsh Timber Yard, others were not so expected like "The Nottingham Corporation Health Committee Basford Siding", or the Basford Chemical Works one near Northern Baths, there was also one for "Wades Textile Cleaning" and a branch to "Gallimores Factory"? both at Bobbers Mill, The GNR connected with Pits, and both Wrigley's and Wright's Wagon Works, the latter I'm told was a sprawling works that stood in the area where the Green Barrel Pub was built later,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ashley, by messing around with various bits, I've got it in a format where the world can see it.

Weekday Cross Great Central Mainline

neither do the people of Hyson Green, Beeston or Clifton! (in my opinion)

I know it's not Nottingham, but a cycling pal of mine informs me the Monsal trail tunnels are now open for walking/cycling through complete with lighting and the sounds of trains going through them provided by speakers along the length of the tunnels, either accessed from the A6 or from the Bakewell old rail track

Rog

Mark did em last week on his recumbent trike, plans to do another run with a group of recumbent trikers this coming Saturday, unfortunately I'm working

Rog

Mark did em last week on his recumbent trike, plans to do another run with a group of recumbent trikers this coming Saturday, unfortunately I'm working

Rog

How long are they?

That's the one with the boot !!

I'm glad I re thought on my first 'guestimation' I was ariginally going to put 13 foot !!

not sure but I think they range from about 250yrds to plus 700yrds

sorry cant be more specific, have you tried Mr G Oogle?

Rog

Trike length is just under 6ft and 33 inches wide (made in England) !englandflag!

...Wonder if they would ever open the old Woodhead tunnel...

Doubtful...

By legend, dozens of "moth-balled" steam locos are stored within.

Known as the 'strategic reserve' or, as in railway terms, the s******** r******...

Cheers

Robt P.

Doubtful...

By legend, dozens of "moth-balled" steam locos are stored within.

Known as the 'strategic reserve' or, as in railway terms, the s******** r******...

Cheers

Robt P.

I can verify that there are no locos of anykind stored in there, walked through it in 1985 4 years after closure but before the down line was finally removed, which had been left in to appease various anti-closure groups. After the requred time (5 Years) the line was removed fairly quickly.

Also re-opening is now highly unlikely as the national grid cables that used to go through one of the old single line tunnels have now been re-routed through the 'new' tunnel due to deterioration in the condition of the original bores.

There was quite a bit of opposition to these plans but it was decided that re-opening was unlikely to be either viable or required for some considerable time.

Very interesting site here: http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/

and here:http://savethewoodheadtunnel.blogspot.com/

Official opening of the Monsal line is next weekend sometime (Just been on my local news, though how Derbyshire can in any way be construed as being in the North West is way beyond me !!)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a ride on the newly upgraded Monsal Trail.Best to go early as due to increased Biker popularity it can be a handfull with the inevitable clash of Bikers/Walkers/Dogs. Any of the forementioned who are not concentrating can cause quiet a bit of 'trail rage' Its only a matter of time before the will be a 'collision' The council have done a great job but almost completely failed to put signs up on route advising of basic disipline in regard to safe passing & sharing of the narrow trail. I reckon before 9am i easily made 15 - 25 mph but afterwards was down to 5- 10 mph in places.Even bell ringing didnt help as i suppose everyone thinks it is there right of way !

Hi Burrower, have you tried fitting a "airzound" 115 decibels enough to move the most stubborn pedestrians, I can't understand why people who walk these trails expect everyone else to go at the same speed as they do, the monsal trail has been opened up as a "Bridleway and Cycle track" by the way not as a "Footpath only"

Don't know how I will go on with my recumbent trike at 33 inches wide!!!

Rog

Thanx for the tip off,but it would probably irrate other Trail users even more as i think there will soon be factions developing along the walk.Walkers/Ramblers/Dog Walkers/Locals/Casual day trip bikers/Hardcore Bikers. The dogs off the leads are the main issue for me.I like dogs but seems incredible that an excitable dog can be bounding around,inches from a 10 - 20 mph approaching bike(s). Spose enforcing 'Dogs on Leads' would be some what impossible.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Nottinghamshire tunnels past & present

(Ratcliffe on Soar tunnels are in Rushcliffe therefore are in Nottinghamshire)

1. Annesley Tunnel, Midland Railway now Robin Hood Line, Kirby-in-Ashfield

Annesley tunnel was on the Great Central's line, the Midland's tunnel is 'Kirkby tunnel'.

13. Victoria Street Tunnel also known as Weekday Cross Tunnel, Great Central Railway, Nottingham

Officially known as Thurland Street tunnel.