Thurland Street was actually a cutting (excavation) that was "fitted with a roof" type of thing only a few feet below the the road from which it got it's name, there was an open cutting south of Upper Parliament Street before the lines entered the "tunnel", Not sure if true but was told by a former PW worker that post ww11 a fellow worker was hit by a train and rushed to the general where he survived minus a leg, said leg was later found in the tunnel and if true is still buried under the ballast there!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ashley, by messing around with various bits, I've got it in a format where the world can see it.

Weekday Cross Great Central Mainline

neither do the people of Hyson Green, Beeston or Clifton! (in my opinion)

Welcome mate. It's ironic that a lot of the navvies got legless when they broke into the cellar of the Cross Keys pub when doing that 'cut and cover' tunnel.

Thurland Street was actually a cutting (excavation) that was "fitted with a roof" type of thing only a few feet below the the road from which it got it's name,

Posted these before, but I'll do it again. This is Thurland Street tunnel being built as a cut-and-cover. In this one, the bridge ahead is Parliament Street.

clin.jpg

And this is looking along Parliament Street, with Thurland Street on the left.

tunnel-1.jpg

love to go through the tunnel leading to wetton mill in derbyshire very simmilar to the one in the earlier posts but no tracks showing now and to go through as 39/40 motorbikes go through what a great sound almost as good as the old steam train hooters as you went through a tunnel in the 50/60 but not the same smell

Wetton Mill is actually in Staffordshire but with a Derbyshire post code. The tunnel was on the Leek & Manifold Valley Light Railway, a 2'6" gauge railway that ran from Hulme End to Waterhouses. It was opened in 1904 and closed in 1934. It was part of the North Staffordshire Railway and then the LMS. The tunnel is called Swainsley Tunnel.

I have walked through all the tunnels on the Nottingham Suburban Line (in the mid 60s) and also the Watnall Tunnel on the Basford Bennerley Line. More recently I walked with my grand-daughter through Boughton Brake Tunnel on the Bevercotes Colliery Line. This line was closed and quite overgrown but with the track still in situ. I believe the locals call this Mummy's Tunnel. Please don't ask me why.

• 4 months later...

Borrowed this from the RCTS site. It's from Victoria Station looking down the Thurland Street tunnel (the photos in #129) to Weekday Cross in the far distance. In the days of steam, this would have been a very rare view.

thurland.jpg

• Upvote 1

#82 You seem to know the area around "Rathole" Ashley from the 50s and i am sure there was a "Turntable" somewhere on that picture,we used to go thru Rathole on our way to go scrumping at what we called "WHITEWALLS" Basford hospital

Just looked at some of my 50" maps of Nottingham.

There certainly was a turntable in the Bagthorpe area.

It was situated on the curve to Basford North station near to Arnold Road

Map reference SK 5543(NE)see Ordnance Survey one inch map 112.

• Upvote 2

Thanks cliff ton,in the bottom centre of the map were railway sidings" where one of my Grandads worked.

"Somewhere" I have a photo of that turntable, will have a look for it later, What that map doesn,t show is the differing heights of the various lines nor the massive embankments, those mentioned sidings leading to the bridge over Arnold Rd were on such, at least 8 tracks there so you can imagine how wide that was, on the map I have it was labelled The GNR Bagthorpe Curve, assume that referred to the 2 lines going over Arnold Rd? That bridge was in 2 parts with a gap between them over the road, (can be seen) local daredevils crossed the road one foot on each span, till one slipped and fell to the road below, was quite seriously injured.

Assume the scrumping was at the "nursery" marked on the map, do you recall there were 2 "fields"? apples and pairs? or was it eaters and cookers of the former? My uncle was in that Basford Isolation Hospital pre WW2 with Scarlet Fever as then quite serious, ( I just had to stay indoors for 4 weeks when I got it in 1950's)