I enjoy watching the TDF, they show shots of the countryside and show the foods from the areas they are going through. They keep spoiling the coverage though by showing blokes on bikes and a conga line of Skoda's following them.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something I've just finished, the paint is still drying. A bit different to my usual rubbish. Done it muted colours to be in tone with our quiet, centre conservatory. Used metallic colours, br

I had piano lessons around age 13-14 and reached a reasonable level, and I could sight read fairly well. I also had some training on organ, including the dreaded foot pedals. My main reason for doing

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", firs

Thats the plan Phil, then ride down to the start of Stapleford wood and watch them ride by like I did a couple of years ago when they came through, if the new build isnt ready I'll have to go on one of the other bikes

Rog

First ride out on the Diamondback XSL, just a snagging ride today, I need some gear shifters a shorter handlebar stem and some riser handlebars, maybe some flat pedals instead of the SPD clipless I got on at the moment, comfortable ride brakes work good and suspension takes out all the bumps (ideal for riding over the potholes that seem to be spring up over night)

DSCF2309.jpg

DSCF2310.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Another interest of mine, old engines, they've had a good run and a light coat of boiled linseed oil, adds a bit of protection and look good, Lister D, petrol, water cooled from 1952 and Lister ST1 diesel aircooled from 1962, both on home made trucks

Lister D

DSCF2356.jpg

Lister ST before the linseed treatment

DSCF2357.jpg

and after the treatment

DSCF2358.jpg

I do have an electric powered stationary it's called an electric motor about as interesting as a bang on the head, not even wasting my time taking a picture of it

Rog

• Upvote 1

Rog., on a slight diversion, do you have among all your activities, a model railway or diorama layout? Iv'e been watching loads of you tube clips regarding "Magnorail" track system for moving road vehicles including bicycles. I found it fascinating and well worth a look. I'd love to be able to create a diorama, but alas, we don't have the room. Would appreciate your comments.  B.

There are a few ideas in the pipeline regards a  OO gauge railway but at the moment the area in the shed set aside for a small "fiddle yard" have been put on hold because the clock hobby has took up the shelf for the time being, I do have some track, points and curves to put down plus a few loco's and a transformer just a bit short on space

P1100017_(2).jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

Have you considered a "N Gauge" or even "Z gauge" layout, I have seen N set up in a small suit case and a scenic Z gauge set on a tea tray

Rog

I did an N gauge railway on a door many years ago. I’ve still got some track and points surplus to requirements somewhere in a shed. It’s amazing what an interesting layout you can cram onto a door. The door wasn’t hanging vertically obviously!

• Like 1

Now there's an idea Phil, a suspended door in the roof of the shed and lowered on ropes or wires when it's to be used/worked on, good idea, got me thinking now mate

Rog

• Like 1

Years ago a mate of mine had a railway running round his bedroom on a 9 inch shelf. Part of it that crossed the door was on a hinged section that folded back when access was required or the track not in use.

I'm more interest in the "Magnorail" system for mobilising road vehicles, ( Google it) I found it intriguing.

Will investigate Z track.

• Like 1

I have seen the system Magnorail on a modelling site, it runs through a track system with cars slotted into the track at various distances from each other, looks to be a good system and some of the radii look quite tight, is it just for the Dinky/Corgi size cars or does it come in smaller sizes

Is that the system that runs around a series of toothed cogs to drive the track through a channel in the base board

Rog

My N gauge non motorised rubber tyred push along Dinky A4 loco and coaches from the 1950's

P1100054.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Is that the system that runs around a series of toothed cogs to drive the track through a channel in the base board

Rog

Your'e correct in your second post Rog. It is not a track system which vehicles slot into a track. It is in fact a hidden chain system which runs through a guide underneath the surface. Tiny magnets are attached/glued to the links and opposite pole magnets are glued to the vehicle or bicycle. As the chain is driven round the magnets pick up their opposites and pulls them round. The attached picture shows a typical layout, with a clear perspex on top, so you can see the workings...

Screenshot-20230810-175124-You-Tube.jpg

That's the one Barrie, the one I saw the centre or the road was covered with paper and painted the same as the road  that allowed the magnetism to connect to the cars little magnet, I forgot all about the magnets, yes it's a great system and the one I saw working worked very well, thanks for the picture it was a great memory jog for me

Rog

On this close up shot, you can see the cyclist just right of centre.

The drive wheels for the chain can be seen at the top, with black tyres. On a basic kit you have break off the links (400) and clip them together. On one clip I saw, the presenter used electric ducting for long straight runs. The plastic chain ran through perfectly.  B.

Screenshot-20230810-175112-You-Tube.jpg

stuff like this would finish a layout off perfectly, railways or trams and motor cars and lorries,buses and cycles (never thought of those) could be something to lookout for in the future, I don't do much modelling in spring summer autumn but winter in the shed with the gas fire on and music playing through the dvd/cd and telly what more can you ask for

Rog

My brother Mike McDonald had probably the best “O gauge “ model railway in the country at the back of the cafe at Mablethorpe funfair complimented with amazing buildings from modeller Allan Downes. It was also displayed at Ruddington before that. If you Google “Monks Bay” you can see his video on u tube. This was his passion and I can remember him writing an article for the Railway Modeller about the fact that his railways were always his consistency in life. Having had 3 wives and numerous partners and being his little sis I can appreciate that. It all stemmed from my dad being a model railway enthusiast and I can  remember having a railway set up in my brothers bedroom at Tollerton. Unfortunately Mike passed away from a brain tumour in 2016 at 69 years of age. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@MRS B, just had a look at the You tube video you suggested and I thought it was brilliant and informative. I would imagine it must be very painful though for you to watch. I did lift a still picture of Mike which I was going to attach on here, but had second thoughts as I did'nt want to cause any upset or offence. However, I would'nt post it without your permission. My thoughts are with you.

Barrie.x

• Like 2