• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something I've just finished, the paint is still drying. A bit different to my usual rubbish. Done it muted colours to be in tone with our quiet, centre conservatory. Used metallic colours, br

I had piano lessons around age 13-14 and reached a reasonable level, and I could sight read fairly well. I also had some training on organ, including the dreaded foot pedals. My main reason for doing

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", firs

Barrie, there would be no offence taken if you posted it. It’s actually quite comforting to watch as apart from his e mails I have nothing else that’s tangible. I often watch it before I go to bed at night. He had the most amazing sense of humour, was extremely flamboyant and loud. Once you met him you never would have forgotten him. I wish I had something similar to remember my other brother Jim who unfortunately died at age 60. There were two years between them and they were both Mellish boys. So… I am now the elderly McDonald matriarch with lots of nieces and nephews. No grandchildren from my two though, still waiting! 

@MRS B, I too lost all three of my brothers. Got plenty of nephews and nieces, and their offspring, making me a great uncle.

Have mentioned on here before that, alas both our sons passed away, youngest in 1978 age 9, and eldest in 1990 age 23. So we will never be grandparents

Did post on NS if anybody wanted to adopt an unused grandad.

I was a surrogate grandma about 6years ago but the family moved down to Guildford so that was the last of that. Shame, I miss it. I used to run a kids gardening group at the Uni for home ed kids and really enjoyed that too. We’re a talent that is not being used that’s for sure. I knew about your boys but surely there must be a need out there for adoptive grandparents? Would save a lot of nursery fees for folks but also guessing there would be a lot of associate health and safety checks. 

2 hours ago, MRS B said:

Would save a lot of nursery fees for folks but also guessing there would be a lot of associate health and safety checks. 

A friend's wife tried childminding, the social services demands were draconian to say the least.

Not just H&S but timetables, food, teaching, what books she was allowed to read from, how many black dolls were available etc. She eventually gave it up after a year despite parents offering silly money to continue.

This was before 'woke' became a thing, can't imagine what it's like now.

• 3 weeks later...

well it looks like we have just about finished with the summer (although it don't look too bad for the next few days) so it's time to look at continuing the in-shed hobbies for autumn and winter, these will be model bus conversions (different local operators) and the wooden animals, frogs, bears and gollifrogs and any other designs I can find, what's on your agenda for the coming few months?

DSCF1632_(2).jpg

DSCF1611.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Do you have patterns for those wooden figures Rog?

What do you use to cut them out, hand held jigsaw or a bandsaw?

The material looks like MDF.

Material is 19mm pine from some old shelving, I use a powered jigsaw with a fine blade, the only patterns I have are my own design from simple pencil sketches until I got the right size, the lags are 15mm dowel and the hinges I use 3mm steel bar, for the arm hinges I use 6mm dowel with the last 15mm trimmed down to about 3mm dia leaving a 6mm top that is set into the top of the arms, paints are acrylic ontop of a light varnish and finished off with clear lacquer

Rog

Forgot to add, the eyes are self adhesive boggle eyes

6 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Rog, you seem to be a man of many talents!

Ah, but master of none ha ha,  thanks Margie, got to try and keep busy, no good sitting down all day, there's two kinds of chair that will kill you, an electric chair and an arm chair, I try to stay out of both for as long as I can each day

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", first to take shape will be the frogs/gollifrogs

DSCF2480.jpg

Hopefully they turn out as nice as these

DSCF1546.jpg

Rog

• Like 6

I use 3mm bright steel bar with the ends roughed to help it stick to the PVA glue, the middle joints I drill out to 4mm to allow for movement, the two outside edges are drilled out to 3.5mm, where the arms meet the shoulders I use 1 inch fence nails of the same diameter as the bright bar, body of the frog/gollifrog/doll are drilled to 3.5mm with a drop of PVA glue dripped in the hole and the arm drilled to 4mm for movement, I use nails because the nail head allows the arm to rotate without coming off if that makes sense

Rog

• Upvote 1

As attached, I've now framed the smaller (A5) version with the larger one ( 10x14ins) is sitting behind on the window sill. Should have gone on Beekays paintings but did'nt want to bore everyone. B.

20230929-173956.jpg

• Like 2

There's a full N gauge layout for sale on Facebook market place Lincoln for four hundred quid minus loco and rolling stock, full track layout, scenery and buildings

Rog

• 1 month later...

New addition to the tools armoury to help cutting out the wooden parts for the frogs. gollyfrogs and Pudsey bears

DSCF2505.jpg

Rog

It's a powered fret saw Cliff Ton, saves me using a jigsaw on smaller pieces of wood/plastics etc, believe it or not it was gifted to me by a friend from the next village, he no longer does any woodwork due to his health so thought I would make good use of it when making the jig dolls and wooden frogs and bears, 

Barrie, you can have a job anytime mate, the shed is getting a bit cramped now though and I have to move stuff around to get in and actually do any work in there, I usually do most of my work outdoors but now the colder and damp weather is here I do a lot of stuff in the shed now

Rog