Hello all,

Only just discovered this site and I couldn't believe the wealth of detail that is available from forum members. I have a strong interest in local industrial history and love walking along disused railways and canals. I'm really interested in the old Great Central and Great Northern railways around Nottingham ... especially around where I live just off Vernon Avenue ... it's exiting to think that the "Rat Hole" was only about 10 minutes walk from where I live (oh I wish I could go back and just have a look to see how the whole area to the west of Arnold Road has changed !!!).

Hopefully you will be seeing a lot more of me on this site !!!

Timbo :-)

If you have a thing about old railways, this is definitely the right place to come.

It might also help if you are an ex-biker, live in the USA, used to live in the Medders, can remember which school you went to, and can identify obscure old photos.

Welcome Tim to the nuthouse. My aunt and uncle had the wallpaper shop on Vernon crossings, and just about all my relatives lived in Old Basford, it's where my parents came from, met and married.

Welcome Tim

Nice to have someone else from Basford on here, I was born, went to school and worked in Basford. I now live there again after a 31 year gap. Incidentally I used to walk thro' the 'Rathole' after school all the way to Gregory Boulevard and sometimes even to Victoria Centre which at the time was being built, looking back I don't know how I had the nerve!

Welcome Timbo :)

Canals now it?

If you don't live in the USA, and certainly not much further than the Medders,

Then you will have no excuse for not gettingto our Nottstalgia Meet ups at

The Bell Inn?

Welcome Tim

Oh we all know what state Denshaw gets in dont we lol !rotfl!

YEH BUT THE REST OF US WERE NOT FAR BEHIND HIM. BUT NEED TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE SOON.

BABS

YEH BUT THE REST OF US WERE NOT FAR BEHIND HIM. BUT NEED TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE SOON.

BABS

SORRY I FORGOT WELCOME TIMBO.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Only just discovered this site and I couldn't believe the wealth of detail that is available from forum members. I have a strong interest in local industrial history and love walking along disused railways and canals. I'm really interested in the old Great Central and Great Northern railways around Nottingham ... especially around where I live just off Vernon Avenue ... it's exiting to think that the "Rat Hole" was only about 10 minutes walk from where I live (oh I wish I could go back and just have a look to see how the whole area to the west of Arnold Road has changed !!!).

Hopefully you will be seeing a lot more of me on this site !!!

Timbo :-)

Albert , to make a post ,click on Add Reply at the bottom of the page , then type your message. then click add reply again and it'll appear on th page.

Hello Tim Re Ex GC/GN Rlwy Line 2 books may be of iterest Colwick Yards & London Rd./Nottm. Victoria,Leen Valleyto Langwith Junc. Published by the Railway Correspondence & Travel Society.I'm an ex Midland Loco Fireman and a recent post re Annesley Tunnel reminded me of a very frightening experience when one Monday evening we loaded out of Kirkby Summit sidings with a full load of coal slack for Wilford Power Stn. What we didn't know was that the wagons were soaked after a weekend of rain so after a stuggle to the tunnel we were very aprehensive about the long descent as far as Bulwell, a fear soon realised after passing Annesley Box when the train took over and with the signals at red we passed through Hucknall Stn. at over 30 mph. We managed to deliver the train then it was back to the shed for a new set of brake shoes. CU Newbie