It was a few years ago M. Did'nt have any problem, like you say, they made me a temp. patient, so all sorted. In fact, one of the doctors, ( Dr.Hall) remembered me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I married my uncle gave me £10 00 to buy a wedding present. I went to Pearson's and brought a sliver plated tray, tea pot, milk jug, and water jug. It cost all of my ten pounds, I had never spen

Not impossible but I would say the two families weren't connected .  Looks like Frederick Pearson founder of Pearson Bros ironmongers was Yorkshire born.   The Pearsons of the bleachers

I remember The Golden Cage. It was there for years. Also Pennyfeathers on Goldsmith Street, in an old Victorian house that probably isn't there any longer.  They were ideal places for finding theatric

Beekay i remember the chip shop, left hand side of Southwark St, it was set back from the road if I remember correctly.  Looking at the street map, Cheltenham St namely, you can just see Terr, which was the terrace my dad grew up in , Bell Terrace. Opposite you can see a gap in the houses, that was a yard with a stable. I remember as a little kid watching the horse coming back home and going in the stable.

If it's the house on CT's street plan, it looks quite impressive and a far cry from The Engineer's former abode in Grundy Street. All that space!

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

Looking at the above map reminds me of a chip shop that was on the left side, going up Arnold road. Somewhere around Cheltenham street or thereabouts. 

8 hours ago, katyjay said:

Beekay i remember the chip shop, left hand side of Southwark St, it was set back from the road if I remember correctly.  

There's still a chip shop (or similar) in that location.     https://maps.app.goo.gl/zjzkRPZQmkaHKP8D6

@Jill Sparrow Yes Jill: The house on Grundy Street was mid-terrace, two rooms and a scullery downstairs, two bedrooms and box room (in which Mam and Dad squeezed a bed) upstairs.  Front door opened onto the street.  Small backyard and outside WC.  Tin bath and all that.

@Cliff Ton Yes, that must be it.

We only rented of course but I do wonder how they afforded that on a single wage (Dad was a TV repair man) and bringing up 7 children at the time.

• Like 1

Thats the chippie CT, but it did,nt look anything like it does now. Nobody had ever heard of pizzas back then.

Thank you for the pict Kev.

Thats the chip shop that back in the 50s........Mam and Dad used after Pictures at the Vernon and as a kid i used all the time......it was called 'Marlow's.............opposite is St Aidans church where most of my family got married including Mam and Dad in the 40s...........

Including my family's local and mine for meeting all my old football pals thru the 60s...the Park Tavern...and next door used to be a little cottage where Dad was born in 1923............that little area is full of lovely memories and people i can still see in my '"Minds Eye''...Sentimental or what......:rolleyes:.....