Victoria Centre Development

In the Viccy centre there is a display to show how they are going to build

extensively to the back end, theres a model on display.

worth a look if you are in the area.

Also worth taking a camera to record how it is before the development.

Hard to believe but Victoria Centre was built in 1972, 40 years ago!

Actually, despite all the complaints, the shopping centre has held up pretty well. It is still a pleasant place to go shopping - a pity the market isn't as active as it once was.

A shame they didn't have the foresight to keep a station and rail lines - it would have made an excellent tram route into the city!

Re trams into Victoria etc, can't remember where but I posted re a 1970's? council survey into this, or as they termed it a "light railway", proper serious study, like a phone book! with plans diagrams etc, most have been post 1972 as the said not headroom on bottom level of car park to go under VC so suggested answer was a new tunnel under York Street etc to exit in the market square, could you get 2 double deckers side by side in the tunnels? if so imagine all buses from north of basford going into the former New Basford Station yard then straight through to centre of town? Incidently wn't envisigeas in London yesterday, amazed how low most railway bridges were, guess planners in 18 whatever didn't envisage double deckers or artic lorries etc

Maybe I'm off base here but I have often wondered why the powers that be could not have used that ready made tunnel under Mansfield Road to ease congestion especially now ya'll have trams.

They could have/ should have utilised the rails here. Plenty of room to put in a small halt.

What a great photo, It raises a question, (or 2 actually) firstly I was always under the impression any trains stopped in 1960's, lines ripped up etc well before any VC building, and secondly I wonder if same train as those I sent in re the rathole! lol, (any more photos?)

Wheres the bus station gonna be now then ??

They could have left it at the bottom of Huntingdon Street and improved it on that site

Just heard on the radio in the chippy....that Broad Marsh has got its go ahead for improvement...reckon it could triple in size.....where...are they ordering extra land in from abroad ????

The "where" doesn't bother me too much, but I have to wonder "why"? The place has been on a downhill slide ever since it opened. It never has (to my knowledge) ever been completely inhabited, and most of the shops are selling cut-price junk! Where on earth are they going to find tenants for a place three times the size?

What a great photo, It raises a question, (or 2 actually) firstly I was always under the impression any trains stopped in 1960's, lines ripped up etc well before any VC building, and secondly I wonder if same train as those I sent in re the rathole! lol, (any more photos?)

This one must've been taken at a similar time and looks like a special train, probably the last over the tracks.

B-74-24.jpg

Central News... Broadmarsh wil spread to join up with the Midland Station.

That means the shops between will go.

The could annex the Crown Court?

on that last photo it's easy to see(obviously) that the lines had been relaid etc, plus a new fence added! far as I know Victoria closed Sept 4th 1967, whether goods trains continued through for awhile I don't know but have a picture from 1968 and all the place is flattened with no tracks at all, so as mick says VC opened in 1972 I assume new lines laid 1968 onwards? only question remains why? I know diesel railcars ran from Arkwright Street to Rugby 1967 till May 5th 1969 so maybe some sort of "feeder" route for said railcars? or even dismantling trains for the Rugby route? even if so why double track though?

on that last photo it's easy to see(obviously) that the lines had been relaid etc, plus a new fence added! far as I know Victoria closed Sept 4th 1967, whether goods trains continued through for awhile I don't know but have a picture from 1968 and all the place is flattened with no tracks at all, so as mick says VC opened in 1972 I assume new lines laid 1968 onwards? only question remains why? I know diesel railcars ran from Arkwright Street to Rugby 1967 till May 5th 1969 so maybe some sort of "feeder" route for said railcars? or even dismantling trains for the Rugby route? even if so why double track though?

The original plan was that the double track around the outside of the site was to remain in place for colliery traffic, and be given space in the basement of the centre. I presume that it was realised that the coal traffic could use the Leen Valley lines of the Midland instead.

The track was lifted in 1968 as I recall so can't have lasted long. The DMUs for the Rugby service, as far as I know were brought in from Midland, via Weekday Cross and a reversal in the tunnel, the same as the Hotchley Hill trip working.

I do wonder if even at that time there was someone trying to keep the line of route so that it could be developed as a passenger route when it became obvious that the city was going to be choked with cars. Mansfield road was one solid traffic jam on saturdays as soon as the Vic Centre opened, given how many fewer cars were on the road then.

I remember for years the sign above the Milton St entrance read 'Victoria Centre, station and bus station!

Didn't know of this plan, I always thought the idea of shutting the whole route was financial?ie getting rid of maintenance costs involved with tunnels, viaducts etc? and duplicate lines, They must have took the tracks up then relaid such? as well as that "phone book size" study I saw which as I mentioned said the bottom car park level which was at same level as the former tracks did not have enough headroom for anything running under the complex. I also heard of a plan put forward before closure by the NUR or similar for a "circular route" using an updated former GNR route via Basford Nrth etc through a rebuilt Mapperley Tunnel etc, will sound anti feminist here but it sounded very odd being told all the details by a woman who was involved in such! very knowledgable she was relating all the routes and railway terms

They could have/ should have utilised the rails here. Plenty of room to put in a small halt.

B-82-34.jpg

Trying to get my bearings here. would that photo have been taken from Bluceoat street or am i totally the wrong way round??

Trying to get my bearings here. would that photo have been taken from Bluceoat street or am i totally the wrong way round??

Sort of....... but Bluecoat Street does come into it!

On the photo Huntingdon Street is running up the right side of the picture, with Bluecoat Street/Woodborough Road across the top above the tunnel entrance

I think the square building just creeping in to the right edge might be John E Wrights offices, as on HERE

Yes that's Wrights, further away on Huntingdon St. are the gas board depot and the school, back in "the hole" theres the blue brick wall on the right then 2 sandstone "faces" the nearer of the 2 has a steep incline at it's end, I was seriously told by a guy who I took through the tunnel that as kids him and his mates used to slide down that! sounds impossible? but on the other side the York St cliff has steps cut into it top to bottom which I'm told were used by railway staff

That (I hope) is looking from the Vic centre north towards Bluecoat street, (It's an age thing .....LOL)

The GC tunnel was never a goer as a route for a light rail/tram system, for the simple reason that stops would be too far apart.

Can't really see that? after a few close stops in Manchester City Centre their tram to Bury then goes into tunnels for a good way, and after that their stops more like country stations apart? In Nottingham it was only approx 1,250 yds to Carrington "opening", similar distance to New Basford, after that could have picked your spot, Perry Road, Valley Rd, via GNR to Cinderhill etc or Daybrook etc, Arnold Rd, Bulwell Common, etc etc