I've just had a bit of a result (For once)

I went in to Argos down town with SWMBO at lunch time to look at new televisions , again, still pricing them up for a bit , or so I thought, and came across a Bush 42inch HD ready , yadder yadder yadder, reduced from £399.99 to £329.99 , not a bad price thought I , and probed a bit deeper , cajoling SWMBO that "Of course a 42inch TV won't be too big etc. she left the shop to go and buy herself a buttie for lunch leaving me to slav ver over the details,

On enquiring at the till I was told they are only for "Home Delivery" Here we go, let's try and order one then , expecting the usual , "Sorry we're temporarily out of stock , but we'll have some more in next week" (When the sale is over) rotine , that we've all been through one time or another. Only to get the shock of my life " Yes we have one, when would you like it delivered?"

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather !! but dear reader that's not all, far from it. As she prossed it she said " There's another 30 pounds off till Sunday " (Making it £299.99 !) "Go on then I'll have one" (SWMBO is going to kill me thought I , but what the hell?) Any way she processed it and as she was finishing off she told me "There is a delivery charge you know?" I joked "How much is that , cause if it's the 30 quid I've just saved forget it !" I think it should have been £8.50 , but she said it wouldn't come up on the system. I joked with her again , "If it doesn't come up it's free you know ??" "Ok" she said and let me have free delivery too

So it should have been £408.49, and I got it for £299.99

As I said , a result from Argos, Makes a bloody change (Mind you , it ain't arrived yet !!)

Thats what SWMBO sed when I bought the first Flat screen.

That she would not have a large one.

Now we have two, one on the bedroom wall, both 42 inch. Shes not .complaining.

The smallest I would go for now. Would like 50inch in the parlour If I could .

If anyone want a strong wall bracket of any type for a good price theres a good place

(chinese) at Beeston that sells on ebay.

I might have to look out for that mate.

We have a 32incher at the moment and she reckons that's too big !!

I'm putting that one in the dining room and putting the Play station ,Wii, and a DVD player on it , to give us a bit more peace !

Shudda gorra projector, mate. thumbsup

10ft across. Bigger than the living room in our first house.

Now, if only the bulbs were a bit cheaper.

But, hey! hope you get a lot of pleasure out of it.

We have a 52 inch rear projection TV, came from a house the wife manages after the tenants left. All it wanted was the mirror cleaning of ciggie crap. Took me two goes to get the dirty brown tarry residue off of it.

I said to SWMBO, how on earth are we going to manage if it gives up the ghost.... Bad enough looking at a computer monitor, but going back to smaller screens isn't on.

Like Dave says, the three projection tubes cost about a hundred bucks each.

BTW, don't even consider plasma TV's!! They are old expensive technology, they are high wattage devices and the screen is unreliable.

LQD and LED technology are way ahead of Plasma. The next generation of LED TV's will be out in about a years time, the picture quality will "knock yer socks off" according to those on the inside.

I wasn't talking about a three tube system, Ian. I mean the type that looks almost like an old fashioned slide projector, but has a bulb that puts out a lot of light shining through LCD panels inside the unit.

Picture quality is superb but the bulbs run around $300. They do seem to last a long time, however. Usually by the time it goes out the technology has improved, higher res' etc. so that you might as well buy a new projector as it doesn't cost much more than a new bulb for the old one.

Built an old Heathkit three tube projection unit a long time ago. It worked quite well but trying to get it properly converged made you tear your hair out.

Mind you, most of what is on the tube these days is still junk even if it is ten feet wide.

Right, Red. You seem to be the one to ask.

We`ve got a digital aerial and a new digital telly and we use BT vision.

If ever there`s a problem with stations (not often) my B-in-law says loftily. "Try switching back to analogue." and sighing when I obviously don`t know what he`s talking about.

Since I read your post I`ve searched my remote control and it doesn`t say anything about analogue.

Should I have one?

Or am I already on it without knowing?

Or something else?

<PLEASE don`t sigh and roll your eyes like that.>

You should have a button on your remote switching from TV to DTV on TV you would only get the 5 channels & on DTV loads of channels freeview etc ...........make sense ?

analogue just 5 channels (until its switched off)

digital loads of channels and a sharper picture

women !!

I must say I am impressed with the quality of old tv programs displayed on the latest tv's.

I tuned through the chanels this morning and found wrestling on. Didnt know they still did that in england?

After watching it a few minutes I notice the 'old people' in the audience looked really old, and the mens style

of clothing and spectacles gave its age away, despite the picture quality/colour being first class.

The bout was one of Johnny Quango's.

There must be some tv upscaling on modern tvs?

I wasn't talking about a three tube system, Ian. I mean the type that looks almost like an old fashioned slide projector, but has a bulb that puts out a lot of light shining through LCD panels inside the unit.

Picture quality is superb but the bulbs run around $300. They do seem to last a long time, however. Usually by the time it goes out the technology has improved, higher res' etc. so that you might as well buy a new projector as it doesn't cost much more than a new bulb for the old one.

Built an old Heathkit three tube projection unit a long time ago. It worked quite well but trying to get it properly converged made you tear your hair out.

Mind you, most of what is on the tube these days is still junk even if it is ten feet wide.

Ian's Beefsteak, Dave, I'm John.

I don't watch TV per se Dave, used to pirate Dishnetwork, but since the switch to Nag3 encryption, two years back, everyones scared to "crack" Nag 3, so no bin file available. Dish Network went after many companies aggressively that marketed FTA receivers and had sites with bin files available.

Since the switchover to digital, I doubt we could receive a signal, our nearest TV stations are Springfield and Jonesboro at least 250 miles to each over rough terrain. So been two years since we watched "live" TV.

Oddly enough, we haven't missed it!!! We do play movies though, which entertains us.

Ian's Beefsteak, Dave, I'm John.

Ooops! Sorry about that, John. I think I'm in need of a memory upgrade. Several Gig ought to do it. :blink:

Haven't tried to get TV off air since we went to Directv. Would need a new antenna now to get the DTV signal and being 60 odd miles from Atlanta and surrounded by woods I'm not sure it would work. Got a plan for for a DTV antenna from Popular Mechanics just never got around to trying to put it together. I'm told the HD is the highest that way as the Sat providers clip some resolution so that they can carry more channels.

We have cable - but the RV has an antenna. In our driveway we can get 24 channels, all but one digital and most of them in HD. Of the channels we also get on cable, I would say the picture quality from the antenna is slightly better, but that is looking at two different TV's too!

Red,

<sigh>

No button on the remote control says anything about 'analogue' and I`ve scoured the instruction manual and neither does that.

I won`t worry about it then.

The first time you press TV button on remote it puts it in analogue.

the second time to digital, etc.it wont be labelled Analogue and Digital.

Same when you press the AV button it scrolls through the different tv inputs.

• 10 months later...

What i have found Plasma uses a bit more Electic 1/4 more than LCD

Plasma best if you are watching off to the side + Blacks are better & fast action sports dont blur out

Lcd/Led are getting better but 3 of my mates bought Lcd & took them back & exchanged for Plasma within days

It might be that our rooms are wider so we will watch more from the side

My Plasma is almost 6 years old no probs

50in plasma here are less than $400

I do have 3 LCD Tvs that are a little smaller but the picture looks a bit fake to me on all of them Visio ,Sony, Samsung

One of the major problems with plasma TV's is they generate RF big time. If you're near a low power licensed radio station, like licensed Amatuers, you could be forced to switch it off due to RF interference, read the FCC part 5 rules. You take full responsibility when you buy one.

The FCC doesn't take too kindly to interference to licensed stations.

Major problem is the manufacturer's don't fit filtering to part 5 electronic appliances, even though they undertook voluntarily to do so. They lobbied Congress not to pass laws forcing them to filter their products and it now falls on the consumer to contact the manufacturers to do something about a problem that shouldn't have arisen in the first place.

As a licensed Ham, I'm encouraged to assist anyone who is causing RF problems, not legally, but as a friendly neighbour.

Another problem with Plasma is fires, they have been found to be the cause of household fires. Yet another problem, is the display is prone to have problems and is very expensive to replace.

Plasma is old technology, soon to follow the CRT TV's, the next new technology will be LED screens which will use far less power than LCD's.

I was reading the "Republik of Kalifornia" is soon to ban sales of Plasma TV's, once one state goes and does that, the end is close.

I recently bought a LCD TV with LED backlighting, I'm extremely impressed with the picture, although it looks like Air Force personnel wear a purpleish uniform, I suppose I could set up the colours better though to correct that minor problem.

Ayeup you did it ,I have you to blame its in Black & white .Banning Plasmas!!!!!!

60 inches worth in the back of the truck just need a hand carrying it in

& i dont give a darn about CQ ,CQ, CQ they have Packet radio around here anyway.

Packets dead, should have said Part 15 rules, was half asleep when I posted that.

Anyway, it's in the works, Plasma is as good as dead, once "Kalifornia" bans the sale of them, manufacturers will drop making them....Old technology that shouldn't have even been marketed..

The future will be holographic 3D TV!!! Be like watching action occur before your very eyes in your own home theatre!!

There was a discussion on TV types on QRZ forum about a year back, some very knowledgable guys putting the fors and against on LCD and Plasma.... Turned me off Plasma right away!!

I have a 47 inch Vizio LCD with LED backlighting, 120hz refresh rate, great picture other than US Air Force uniforms appear more purple than blue, I could probably make some alterations if I get too peed with that little flaw.

Even adjusts backlighting to ambient room light!!