Was one flying today over Radcliffe heading towards EMA, about 4.40pm? alerted to it by the noise, flying very low under black thunder clouds and trailing lots of thick smoke behind it? heading away from us and by time I got binocs out had dipped behind railway embankment, certainly looked like a vulcan to me

She's been stuck at Waddington all week with a fuel pump problem, and was not due to leave at 5.00pm (After a charity fun run had cleared the runway ) and was then transitting direct to Yeovilleton for the weekend.

She was sat near the the other Vulcan with engines running, nav lights on and the A15 smelling of aviation fuel at 15.45hrs when I drove past

Rog

I've since heard she did a flypast at East Midlands Airport , but not till around 20 past 5

Just had confirmation , she left at 17.00hrs on the dot and routed to East Midlands Airport for a flypast (No idea of the reason for that though) Landing at Yeovilton at 17.53hrs

Well I was right re the aircraft if not the time! though seeing as I posted at 5.30 I'd have sworn earlier, maybe tootling around till it got a free run? wouldn't take long to get here which also explains the thick smoke from it too as probably had the choke still on

!rotfl!

A nimrod is due to fly into east midlands airport on 12th July, the newest addition to the aeropark.

Leaving waddington at 10.00am

due at EMA 10.15- 10.30

a nice chance to get some photos, of what could be the last flight

i was at waddington last Sunday, and i have to say there was a definite buzz around the place when the XH558 started up.best of all was the sound of car alarms going off as she did a low level flypast!

• 1 year later...

Make the most of seeing XH558 if you can this coming season folks , it may well (If their own rumours (Vulcan to the sky trust) can be believed) be the last.

• 4 months later...

Slightly off the original topic but on sunday we had the thrill of a Battle Of Britain Lancaster Spitfire and Hurrcane very low level Flypast over Bulwell. The wonderful drone of those Rolls Royce Merlin engines

fch782c, I believe the Vulcan will be also based with the others. Funny I have read several comments about the Vulcan taking off anf passingo/head.I thought back to the days at Scampton when a whole Squadron would take off. The most spectacular was 2 by 2 on the runway with the 2nd aircraft only slightly staggered behind the 1st(on the same runway) and the whole squadron scrambling at once.

Now that was noise !

I had the privilege of seeing a 16 'bird' scramble once . As you say , "That was noise"

Another couple of examples of how close you are allowed to get a RIAT (Only 4 weeks till this years spectacular starts.)

7585940868_db9e05c0c9_o.jpg
7585928892_11c0afc543_o.jpg
  • Upvote 1

The avro Vulcan also known as the Hawker Siddeley Vulcan in service from 1956 until 1980. Unfortunately in 1982 the Falklands war broke out and Britain did not have a long range bomber as they had retired probably the best looking delta wing bomber the RAF had ever had. Am I correct in thinking that on the 18th May 1982 The vulcan was bought out of retirement to carry out bombing raids on the Assention Islands amongst other targets. And after the end of the Falklands continued in service in March 1984. Oh yes and the noise they made was incredible.

It's actually at RAF Waddington.

And yes she was the one that conducted "Operation Blackbuck" which was the longest none stop bombing raid ever.

We often have the priviledge of seeing this beautiful bird flying through our skies near Lincoln, along with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and of course the Red Arrows as we have so many of the bases close to us, and it never fails to thrill.

In 1982 during the Falklands war my brother Mark was a navigator plotter with 50 Sq at Waddington flying Vulcans. He did not go on the raids on Port Stanley because he was on sick leave..

I remember the morning of the raids on Port Stanley quite well and before most of the people of England, because we were both coming out of Broadmarsh center and we were accosted by a man with an anti war collecting tin, who called us all the names under the sun, when we did not give him any money, at this my brother, started to lay into him like a mad man and blood was everywhere the man was on the ground, when 2 coppers came and split them up, but instead of arresting my brother , they let him go, and when I asked him why they did not arrest him, he said he told the policemen that his squadron had just gone in over Port Stanley,and after checking what he said with a telephone n° he gave them, they just let him go and told him to vanish ........

Black Buck missions Falklands War.

These missions were flown by at least 2 Vulcans in turn accompanied by Victor tankers.

They flew out of Ascension Island to bomb targets in the Falklands only. No targets on the Argi main land were attacked, the UK government even told the Argi's they would not attack the main land.

Seven missions planed, five flown, 3 against Stanley airfield and two anti radar missions where they used missiles, Shrike I believe.

The logistics were a nightmare as the Victor had a very similar range to the Vulcan so a considerable number were required for each mission.

I do believe but am not sure that the Victor furthest out itself had to be refuelled at least twice to reach its final RV with the Vulcan.

Colin