best nottingham places?

My dad and his 2 brothers were all fishermen. In the 50's, all 3 of them and families in tow, would go to Gunthorpe on the same side as the pub, walk down the side of the Trent a ways, and pitch a large tent. Women and kids would sit in chairs and a primus stove was set up for a cuppa, and we'd eat a picnic while the men fished. Happy days. As I've said in a previous thread [Nottms smells?] I can still remember the smell of the Trent there. And still see the foam below the weir.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of the places I liked probably paved over for car parks now!

Nice idea for a thread. Looks like a good topic for a blog. As as been stated on here before, you can see Belvoir Castle on a clear day from near Arnold. That will do for me. A few more obvious one

Belvoir isn't visible from Arnold per say , but from Mapperly top! (Seeing as Arnold is down the other side of the hill!) Plains Road is a good veiw point , around the Catfoot lane junction, it's arou

I also used to fish the Trent at Gunthorpe. One night my brother and me walked down from my RAF married quarter at Newton and did a spot of night fishing. Arrived by the river just before midnight and fished for a couple of hours before trudging back fishless.

Is the answer to the "Where is this" picture Jacksdale. I believe that fossils of giant dragonflies were once found in a mine in the Jacksdale area and exhibited at the Natural History Museum.

OOOOH The Trent at Gunthorpe , just below the weir East Bridgford side, wading out about 90 feet, casting line a further 130 foot (See lines on photo), fishing rod in it's cradle, catching big Chub and Barbel (Up to 5 pound and 8 pound respectively)

Oh happy days !!

I was told a while ago by a friend whos a keen fisher (He doesnt shut up about fishing half the time *yorn* lol) that that sides notts anglers & it costs around £100 a year to fish on that side? Dont hold me to that as im not a fan of fishing & iv never been before lol - Might be worth checking out if your considdering fishing there? just incase

I'd definitely add Southwell to my list with the essence of it being the Minster and The Saracens Head. I think it's easily the most lovely and atmospheric of Nottinghamshire towns.

..Southwell is easly one of my favorite areas in nottingham too.. I love how old fashioned it looked, all the old buildings, houses & old cobble streets that are still there.. & the fact each pub is pretty much on another pubs doorstep, i keep meaning to have a pub crawl down there one night!

my favorite place of all time in nottingham has to be the whitehart lenton , closly followed by the ponds and the trent at netherfield now known as netherfield lagoons to me it will always be the gravel pits but so many happy memories in both places

Netherfield lagoons are beautiful in late summer.. Very peaceful.

Piggy & Babs:

I used to live on Gregory Street back in the 1970s, so The White Hart was one of my local pubs. There was a Jazz club on Thursday evenings and towards the end of the decade, a folk club too.

no jazz club now but still a great pub i lived on priory st from 1972 till 1989 so it was also my local too for many years but was never the same after the landlord tom left and they did the first referb

I was told a while ago by a friend whos a keen fisher (He doesnt shut up about fishing half the time *yorn* lol) that that sides notts anglers & it costs around £100 a year to fish on that side?

It used to be fishing for members only for 100 yards above and 150 yards below the weir (I was a member) and membership was about 7 quid, you could purchase day tickets on the bank from a bailiff, they used to be a couple of quid (But , as I said, you couldn't fish the weir stretch.!!

• 2 weeks later...

No takers on the image posted earlier. It's near the site of the old Newstead pit on top of the reclaimed spoil heap. To locate it, come out of the Newstead gate to the Abbey, turn immediately left on to a footpath which travels over the hill which was once the spoil heap and it sits on the brow. There's a plaque there which signifies the little monument's 'industry returning to nature' theme.

It's a shame in a way that more people wouldn't see it where it is situated.

Well, that explains why I didn't get it - I worked down Annesley pit in 1968-69 and both Annesley and Newstead were still operational mines at that time. I haven't been back since about 1980.

There used to be a track/path from Newstead pit through to Newstead Abbey in the days when I worked there.

The demolition of Drury Hill was a criminal act - and the barstewards got away with it too :o(

Victoria Station should have been grade I listed; it has been called the finest station in the nation. Demolition was yet another criminal act by the council.

Be fair. It was British Rail that closed Victoria Station and sold the site to the VC developers. Nothing to do with the City Council.

Yes BUT................It was the City Council that gave planning permission.