best nottingham places?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of the places I liked probably paved over for car parks now!

Nice idea for a thread. Looks like a good topic for a blog. As as been stated on here before, you can see Belvoir Castle on a clear day from near Arnold. That will do for me. A few more obvious one

Belvoir isn't visible from Arnold per say , but from Mapperly top! (Seeing as Arnold is down the other side of the hill!) Plains Road is a good veiw point , around the Catfoot lane junction, it's arou

wrong railway line, do you remember another wagon works? never saw it myself but told it where the later Green Barrel pub was? mind you will probably get a load of questions "where was the green barrel?" lol, times they are a changing lol,

I have used the Green Barrel on a number of occasions. I didn't know it was no longer there :o(

I don't remember the works but there were a number of sidings (goods road and exchange sidings) behind the Green Barrel on the Leen Valley (GNR back line). Used as storage for condemned rolling stock under the modernisation plan. Can you mean the Basford Carrige sheds on the GCR?

Sold a van a few years back to a guy from Stoke on Trent....He drove over and got near Arnold then rang me,Our conversation was as follows...

(Me)..."Hi mate...I'll come and meet you,can you give me an idea where you are? Can you see a street name or a local landmark?"

"Well I don't know if it's what you would call a landmark but I'm on a wide road just outside Arnold and just over the road is a burned out pub still smoking!"

(Me)..."Ah! that will be the Green Barrel...I'll be with you in ten minutes"

He must have thought it was a right dodgy district,and at the time he would have been dead right. Dunno who fired it...unless it was Bestwoods answer to the Krays.

around here you mean? The site of Leen Valley Junction, and that path isn't the one in the mystery pic photo! re the stoke on trent man, it's a wonder he didn't go to Basford Hall,lol

leenvalleyjunc.jpg

I always wondered what that piece of land looked like before those houses were built on it - in the 60s i would guess?

No the rubbish photo isn't Leen Valley Junc, I put those 2 photos on as nearest I took of area nr green barrel,

Then it must be at the site of the former carriage sheds on the GCR in Basford?

CORRECT as in right railway but not the carriage sheds ,-----(incidentally I think I was the only person ever to see a train crash (derailment) at those sheds! several carriage pushed over the embankment, main line closed etc, no one else knows anything about it! was pre 1957 as still at primary school

I was reading about a crash at that site recently - been trying to find the article but can I heckaslike find it. I can't remember where I read it but I do remember that it involved a goods loco backing in to the sidings and a southbound local hitting the goods loco. No serious damage and obviously not the crash to which you refer. I have asked around but no-one seems to know anything about your particular prang.

Thanks for info, but it is hard to read, from what I gather the 1900 incident took place on the GNR as bagthorpe junction and Basford Station is mentioned, I have previously started a thread on here re "my crash" in "50's Nottingham forum. below is what I originally said

"I have said crash actually a derailment, but quite dramatic. Was I guess about 1955? Every night on the former Great Central Route Nottingham Victoria north to New Basford, Bulwell Common etc a loco would take carriages from the Vic up to the carriage sheds that stood between Haydn Road and Perry Road, As I understand it to get into those the train had to back up and cross the "up" (to london ) line, before that crossover some switch points had to be made safe, these were there to derail any runaway wagons etc on the incline before they ran back into victoria station. Rumour had it that a well known "rascal" switched points back again whilst train backed up! Result was several carriages were pushed over the embankment, looked like real train crash! next 2 or so days with rail mounted cranes, lots of oxy acetaline cutting, grinding etc all exciting for a 9 yo boy etc! As I said not sure of facts or reasons but never have found anyone who remembers such!attachicon.gifNTGM006961.jpg carriage sheds are dark buildings on right near high chimney, bridge over in distance is Perry Road, actually derailment took place after New Basford Station on left"

Can not recall what the photo was! but now am reminded "rob237" replied saying he recalled it

ps Shall I reveal where the mystery photo was? seems only you interested now, or do you want another guess

Beechdale woods...................1950's/60's..................best place ever for boys to fight wars, climb trees, make camps, gather 'newnuts' (get bellyache)

Back on favourite places, I have quite a few little corners of the county that I like to stop a while and ponder. Here's just a couple of them.

The Bromley Arms, Fiskerton Wharf

River_Trent_at_Fiskerton_-_geograph.org.uk_-_74196.jpg

Hoveringham Mill

1046275_d41e23d1.jpg

Paulus, You're getting closer but no, although there was a bridge not the Arnold Rd one,

Stu, I think I know this pub, only been the once if it is, about 20 odd years ago a mate bought an abandoned boat that was in their yard, wooden it was about 40ft x 10ft, but had a hole about 13ftt x 6ft in it! He went to a wood yard who actually sawn a tree into 1" thick planks, eventually he got it finished and craned into the river, talk about leaks! about half a dozen fountains inside plus seepage, which is where I, plus the nottingham district heating portable pumps came in! for about 2 hrs it was touch and go but eventually it sort of floated and he was able to get it to shallow water where it rested on the bottom to swell up and became watertight, (took weeks)

Nice story! I'm glad he didn't go anywhere near Hazelford Weir in that thing...!

It's a great little pub Ash, especially in the warmer months due mainly to it's really nice riverside situation. When you think about it there aren't too many pubs that are as close by the Trent, north of the city. The Unicorn at Gunthorpe stands quite well back for instance and has a view of a car park interrupting the sight of the river. I used to really like the Star and Garter at Hazelford (now a residential care home for the elderly) which had a similar position right by the Trent, and also, much longer ago, The Elm Tree at Hoveringham.

Lost touch with him, might still have it! I know he did managed to get out into the wash and north sea though, remember the Sar and Garter, band I was with played there a few times in 1980's, at that time a bloke lived on some ex motor torpedo boat at side of slipway

Will have to try that sometimes Rog. One of the pubs at Farndon is fairly adjacent the river if I remember?

Nice to see this one re-opened too. Can't get a lot closer to the water!

8270442.jpg

1980's, at that time a bloke lived on some ex motor torpedo boat at side of slipway

Ash

You are talking about 'Nolly Buck' He was a drummer with some quite well known Jazz bands.

Knew him through the CB Radio. Last seen on Central News after he lost his home when the

Motor Torpedo Boat sank in the trent at its location. Been on it a few times, fantastic.

Still had the twin Rolls Royce (I think) engines.