poohbear

I didn't know that!

Mr & Mrs Hitchcock..Nottm.7446.jpgI didn't know that Alfred Hitchcock's wife..Alma Lucy Reville hailed from Nottingham and both her Parents worked in the Lace Market.

• Like 2

Today has not been a complete waste for me, I learned something !!

• Like 1

Me too Mick..i am full of useless facts..i am still waiting ( 40 years now.)

to shoehorn into a conversation what the Latin is for Gorilla.

• Like 1

Redmayne himself..arrived in Nottm in 1905..stepped onto Carrington St.and saw oppurtunity. Even though he came to Nottm to work on tram construction..he rose to success.shop3_JPG.jpg

• Like 5

I never knew that !

• Like 1

Read summat last night..think he was from Liverpool..arrived off the train..and sniffed out an idea..mainly due to the football grounds and cricket being played...nearby. A very generous man apparently..helped out war widows with gear for orphaned kids etc..

• Like 1

Great memories of R and T..............Uncle John (who else) took me there when i was about 8 and bought me the England kit,,couple of years later the Forest gear and continental boots.

In about 61 to 62 played for Notts Corinthians in the thursday league which was run and sponsored by R and T,,...........magic days playing against good opposition such as Forest A or B teams,,City Police,,County Police and Notts Fire Brigade,,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It was a magical shop to a young me as I loved all sports and still do.  My Dad took me in the shop frequently, mostly just to look around but I did get a hockey stick, hockey boots and running spikes from there.  The hockey boots were pinched by a girl at school but I spotted them on her feet, told ‘Miss’, got boots back and the thief got a detention.  Haha!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Redmaynes was a truly great shop and I'm glad it's included in the new plans and not for student flats either. As a young kid I got my Dinkys from there, sports gear, BB and air guns. Firearms in a separate bit just off to the right as you went in, loved gazing at the polished wood and blue of the shotguns, although it would be a while before I got one.

Part of the City Buildings block designed by Gilbert Smith Doughty, a fine Architect who often gets overshadowed by Fothergill and Hine.

• Upvote 1

I didn't know that this grand building only lasted 14 months!58867.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgBuilt near the Nottingham Forest Football ground on the banks of the River Trent. The Kiralfy Brothers who were Hungarian built  this exhibition hall to the tune of £50,000 .They employed two contractors..starting at each end..and meeting in the middle.Sadly the Moghul design experienced delay..as when they did meet at the entrance..one was a few feet higher.58872.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgThe building was an instant success and drew 320,000 visitors to it's attractions- such as a Japanese Tea Room, Canadian Water Chute and an American Roller Coaster Ride'Tom Thumb' and other wonders over 100 feet high in this two storey Palace.Caves and stalactites provided other scenes for it's visitors.Royalty of the day visited the Hampton Court Maze and distorted mirrors.58869.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgThe scale of what was officially titled The Midlands Industrial Exhibition Hall can be seen...along with the Big Dipper to the left. The venture only lasted 14 months as a cavern caught fire - due to an electrical fault on July 4th 1904.

No life was lost but The Pavilion that hosted NFFC was destroyed as the flames spread to Forests offices and dressing rooms.

The site lay vacant and in ruins for 16 years. What was an Hotel/ Council Offices and now an Apartment Complex is where Nottingham's Ivory Palace once stood.

• Like 1

I've seen pictures of the place before and often wondered what it was, when I was a nipper I lived across the river from the site so it was pretty local to me,or it would have been if it had survived, great post Ian, Thanks

Rog

• Like 1

Redmayne & Todd was a fascinating place selling all sorts of 'sporty' things that were unobtainable elsewhere - including real fireworks - not the penny banger or one-shot roman candle type but big things in large diameter tubes and boxes.

I knew the son of the M.D. of Redmayne’s back in the 60’s. He told  the story of when Forest won the F.A cup in 1959 the cup was displayed in the shop window for a while. For security purposes the cup was removed from the window overnight and was taken home where it was placed on the sideboard. He said it was odd to have the F.A Cup sitting there whilst they had dinner!

• Upvote 2

Yes, I remember seeing the cup in their window. Brilliant !

On 6/9/2018 at 12:06 AM, IAN123. said:

HP Sauce invented in Nottm?

Verticle take off planes

The Video Recorder

Corner flags

Tarmac

Lace

Traffic lights.

1862..Notts County.

Apparently, a 5 mile stretch of Radcliffe Road was the first tarmac road in the world. The then Notts County Surveyor, Edgar Hooley, perfected the mix and registered Tarmac in 1903. He sold out in 1905 and Tarmac Ltd came into existence.

• Like 1

I did'nt know that two mike Hugg penned film and TV tunes have Nottingham connections.

featuring a certain Gordon Beresford

...Rube and Silvie sing it here( Adrienne and Maureen)...but the Nottm based Jig- saw Band released it on Polydor.

Mulligatawny soup was invented by a Nottm Soldier...did'nt know that!

Always thunk it was Baxters.

So that 's the soup and brown sauce.

• Like 1

I thought it was Tesco !!

• Like 1