Snow Reports 2012

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went into the city last night at around six to attend the Nottingham Panthers game. With the snow starting to look a bit persistent and the forecast for more during the evening I was aware that goin

I'd still prefer not to wake up to this in a morning

\Thanks' for the pic's and commemts,81 degrees now dropping to a 'cool' 64 tonight, when I see that white stuff it reminds me why I live here. Sorry Mick! did it again.

I went into the city last night at around six to attend the Nottingham Panthers game. With the snow starting to look a bit persistent and the forecast for more during the evening I was aware that going to the game might mean a 4/5 mile walk home at the end of the night.

It was duly announced during the third period that 'all' bus services had been discontinued for the evening and could people help each other out with lifts home etc.

Leaving the stadium at around 9.30pm I walked up through town to see a Victoria bus station deserted all but a handful of desperate people waiting to see if anything would come. Went for a drink up Mansfield Road and witnessed a bit of the carnage that a couple of inches of slush can cause on a main thoroughfare here. Not a sign of a bus apart from a couple 'not in service' heading to the depot. Taxis struggling to get up the road amongst a nose to tail trail of cars leaving the city.

Faced with the inevitable walk home in the snow me and my pal had a pint or two before the trek ahead. Suddenly, towards the end of the night, two Trent Barton buses from Mansfield came down the road within minutes of each other. I was thankful to step out and catch the second one home.

I'd just like to say a thank you to Trent Barton and the lads who persisted and made it through for some people who had far further than I to get home. Meanwhile there had been no NCT buses whatsoever. They had called it a day much earlier. I wonder how a bus can make it through to Mansfield (which tends to get harder weather than locally) but no NCT bus could manage to drop a few people to say, the centre of Arnold and the like, even though main road conditions had improved enough for other services to manage similar?

I'll be writing to Trent Barton to offer a well deserved thank you and well done.

As for NCT...

• Upvote 1

Highways commitee spokesman....

"Albert! do me a favour and give out the snow depth in metric!"

Meterological office...

"Why wassup?"

"It makes it sound a lot more and doesn't make us look such a bunch of plonkers!"

Snow started here (Netherfield) around 5pm, we was planning on heading into town for a meal & a couple of bevvies, got a baby sitter, got dolled up, tried to get a taxi from 7pm - NO CHANCE!! We couldnt get a bus in cos they stopped running at 8/8:30 so at 8:45pm we gave up n decided to drive in, colwick loop road looked deadly, covered in snow, car was slipping and sliding all over the shop.. in the end we got to the racecourse and decided to turn back, fetch a chinese on the way home & get indoors, safe & warm to watch a dvd. The snow measured to little over 3 inches in the back garden, looked very pretty indeed! Will have to upload the photos i got of it when i get them off the camera. :)

Does anyone know if were expecting more snow? Love to see it.. HATE to go out in it though lol

Not a sign of a bus apart from a couple 'not in service' heading to the depot. Taxis struggling to get up the road amongst a nose to tail trail of cars leaving the city.

Faced with the inevitable walk home in the snow me and my pal had a pint or two before the trek ahead. Suddenly, towards the end of the night, two Trent Barton buses from Mansfield came down the road within minutes of each other. I was thankful to step out and catch the second one home.

I'd just like to say a thank you to Trent Barton and the lads who persisted and made it through for some people who had far further than I to get home. Meanwhile there had been no NCT buses whatsoever. They had called it a day much earlier. I wonder how a bus can make it through to Mansfield (which tends to get harder weather than locally) but no NCT bus could manage to drop a few people to say, the centre of Arnold and the like, even though main road conditions had improved enough for other services to manage similar?

I'll be writing to Trent Barton to offer a well deserved thank you and well done.

As for NCT...

Have you not seen the photos of the busses that ended up drifting side ways last night? NCT uploaded one onto their facebook & my friend got a pic of one going almost sideways on carlton hill. There were a couple of NCT busses that carried on running though.

Have you not seen the photos of the busses that ended up drifting side ways last night? NCT uploaded one onto their facebook & my friend got a pic of one going almost sideways on carlton hill. There were a couple of NCT busses that carried on running though.

Fair comment regarding Carlton Road. It appears that Trent Barton buses can make it to Arnold but NCT ones can't.

Maybe a different route? Are trent barton double deckers? As i know most NCT busses into arnold are.. Could be why they stopped running? more weighty etc... I was told that a couple of single decker NCT busses kept on running, no idea how true that is as i dont live in them areas. But i totaly see where your coming from!

They could have gone basically the same route as the Trent Barton bus which is exactly what they would have done at one time, modify the route. 100% brand new fleet of single decker NCT buses on my route. By the time the road conditions had improved enough on the main road it appears they were mostly all in the depot.

Ah fair enough, it is abit of a pain when they quit early, especaily with all the people who couldnt get a taxi home, they could of done with a bus! I remember last year when they didnt quit & the snow was really bad.. I lived on a hill at the time in gedling, we used to watch the busses skid down, brakes jammed on but still went on down hill.. They did well that time, but this time, they could of at least suspended the services untill roads had improved, surely after enough cars had driven along the main road & the snow stopped.. the busses would of been ok to run again, slowly of course.

But, another idea of mine - SNOW CHAINS FOR BUSSES!! :D

I wouldn't fancy living around some of those hills around the likes of Gedling and Mapperley when there's any snow about!

We were just pondering the people attempting to catch taxis on Mansfield Road last night, as cabs were struggling too a little earlier. Could envisage a scenario where you'd need to get out and push while the metre was still running! :)

If that last gasp bus had not arrived we were definitely walking!

Neither do we, and we're lucky to have 1 taxi in town. Can see why kids learn to drive so early here, if you don't have a car, you don't go anywhere.

Perhaps the Bus drivers aren't 'trained' enough to drive their vehicles in anything other than ideal conditions...............then you've got the insurers bleating about increased claim risk against bus companies that allow vehicles to go out in adverse conditions!! possibly..........................................??

You might well be right on either count, Paulus. Certainly, they do not undertake to provide the service that they once would have - for whatever reason(s). You could say that about a myriad of things though! :)