The big, brown jar of Malt; I loved it - couldn't get enough of it - was always in the pantry helping myself. I think it cost five shillings - 25p - for the jar, expensive back then.

Loved Cod Liver Oil too; mum always gave my sister and myself a spoonful before going off to school. It was free in those days - courtesy of the National Health - orange juice too. I'm sure my mum was given tokens and these were taken to the Welfare Clinic and handed over in exchange for the LOVERLY :biggrin: Cod Liver Oil and Orange. Cod Liver Oil and Orange juice were both in the same sized bottles and had blue and white labels attached; I expect some of these have landed up in Museums now.

PS: I must have been the healthiest kid around! :biggrin:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread made quite a few mentions of the Empire Cafe, but so far there hadn't been any photos of it. Now I've found this - where it appears to be having a repaint

It shall always remain the "Empire" café to me.

Humber Snipe circa mid 40s onwards????

Cod liver oil, rose hip syrup and a dollop of malt a day. Yummy. There is nothing to compare today, to the welfare orange juice from the clinic. You had to dilute it, but it had a taste all of it's own. Does anyone remember the fact that we only got Lucozade if we were really poorly, it was an expensive luxury item and you had to be really ill to get it.

Katyjay, I was writing about the wonderful Welfare Orange Juice and I could taste it - never forgot that thick, rich taste; the brightest orange it was too.

I recall 'Delrosa Rose Hip Syrup' and how expensive it was; it became controversial when mothers were warned of the dangers to babies teeth, when undiluted put on to their dummies!

:ohmy: the things you remember!

i remember all them loved the orrange juice and rose hip syrup but hated the malt and cod liver oil so mum used to make us take that first then i could have a large spoon of rosehip syrup and a cup of the orange juice

And what about Farley's rusks! When I had children it used to be one for them and one for me - mine with butter when I could afford it.

smile2

• Upvote 1

I well remember the malt and the cod liver oil,missed out on the 'Delrosa' and the orange juice.

School milk was always at room temperature,and warmer during the summer months, with an awful smell.I wouldn't drink milk for years,after leaving school.

Remember wearing a small tablet of Camphor in a little cloth pouch hung around the neck on a cloth loop? My mother used to cut and stitch the pouch for the tablet and it was supposed to relieve coughs and colds.

Also remember my mum ironing my dad's back with brown paper and a warm iron to relieve his aches.

Now realise that Grandma on my mother's side was responsible for many potions and remedies back in those days.

Later years, hunched over a bowl of boiling water with a dollop of Vicks Vapor Rub in it and a towel over your head so that you would breathe the steam.

Still use the Vicks and so did all my kids when they were growing up. Just have to ensure you washed your hands thoroughly after use and before going to the loo or bed!!

Anyone remember: vinegar, butter and sugar? My mum used to make the mixture: half a cup of vinegar, a good knob of butter, a couple of teaspoons of sugar. She'd put the cup in the oven at the side of the fire so that the mixture melted and was continually kept warm.

This concoction was an emergency cough medicine for my sister and myself during the winter months; I might add that the mixture was pleasant to taste. :)

Back then in the 50's, although the National Health system was well on its way, Doctors could be stingy with handing out prescriptions.

I don't remember the vinegar/butter/sugar stuff - but there was some vile tea we were made to drink if we had a cold. I seem to remember a number of strange home remedies, but no specifics.

I also seem to remember that docs were pretty stingy about handing out prescriptions, but maybe it was because our parents had to pay part of the cost and they couldn't afford it?

When we had a cold, we were also given "orange juice" - but it was the concentrated stuff that came in a "medicine" bottle with a cork stopper! I still have my ration card for orange juice!

• Upvote 1

Speaking of brewing up stuff, my dad used to boil senna pods in water, which then turned brown, and he'd drink it. Good for the 'parts'. He'd also drink the water the nobby greens had boiled in.

Bad memories of senna pods: a drink made from these was prescribed by midwives of the 60's. After giving birth I well remember grimacing and being told to : "drink up". :ohmy:

Enemas and senna pods, it was a wonder there was anything left of we new mums, after giving birth - apart from the baby of course!

:blush: The ladies back then, made it a practice of always drinking the water the greens had been cooked in; I know my mum and both grandmas did, they said it was good for the complexion.

There must have been something in this, because the ladies within my family and those outside, all possessed beautiful, clear skins - never a sign of a spot. :blush:

Vegetable water is it? Right - no more wasting veg water for me!

thumbsup

Compo, I use my veggie water as a basis for soups; add tomato puree, garlic puree, herbs, black pepper - keep tasting and use your imagination. Cooking should be about creating; judging by your previous postings you don't seem to have any problem with this. :)

Throwing away water veg has been cooked in!

I use mine to make the gravy.

Except potato water, that has starch in it