Just watched tv report re "licenced betting shops swamping the high street" but who remembers the old privately owned bookies with their "blower"? blasting out! lol, ones I recall were on egypt rd/eland st corner, northgate, rawson street (in a former junk shop) and on lincoln street old basford

When I was in the senior school, we had a new girl come into our class. She lived in one of the 2 houses set back from the road and abutting the Cinderhill Co-op. Her dad ran a bookies out of the house. She said her dad was a bookmaker and I thought he actually made books! Ah the innocence of youth.

I've probably mentioned this elsewhere on here but my Dads Dad (Matthew Sheppard) was a 'runner' for Mr George Aitkin, taking all the bets at "Beeston Boilers " amongst others, and he (George) always credited my grandad for getting him going in the business, even paying for his funeral.

Had a pal who lived above the "LSD" betting shop on whassissname road, almost opposite "Gem" in West Bridgford. The road name will come to me soon......

Sherwin's, Bulwell, not sure whereabouts in Bulwell though, went to school with his lad Robert (Bob) lived at Clifton then

Rog

talking of bookies does anyone recall a quite famous fiddle at one? someone hired a a flat near this bookies because the phone wires (the blower) could be got at (think ran outside window) they then delayed the results via tape recorder by something like a few minutes so they knew results and his mate put on last minute big bets! was in the national papers,

i think i have mentioned before the first official bookies i eversaw was at the top of debil st oppost the chip shop in the end partof the white house that used to have the train set in it when one family lived there i am sure seaside lady and sea side walker will rebember it too but carnt remember the mane of the little guy who ran it although gilbert seems to come to my mind but i am not sure its old age setting in you know.

I've never been a betting man although the odd times I've been to watch the horseracing I've had a great time and didn't mind putting a few notes into the bookies back pocket. I remember years ago there was a little bookies shop on North Sherwood St. and I was out with one of my brothers. He was always in and out of bookies at the time and he quickly shot into this one. As he was sorting out all his bets I saw that a horse was running called 'Last Shilling'. It was before decimalisation and, although I'd got a few notes, I'd only got a shilling in change. I put it on the horse for a laugh but it won at 33-1. My brother spent the rest of the day calling me a jammy so and so as all his horses seemed to be running backwards.

I only once bet on a horse race - but it was the Derby in 1974. I was working afternoons at Donisthorpe Colliery, and living in digs in Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The night before, the landlady, the other lodger and myself decided we should put a bet on the race. The landlady picked the horse from the recommendation in the Daily Express - we all put a quid in the pot, and I was tasked with putting the bet on the next morning.

So off I go to the bookies and put the 3 quid on Snow Knight to win at 22:1. They asked if I wanted to pay the tax, so I said "I suppose so" and paid up - then I went underground and Snow Knight won - coming in at 6:1

To this day, I have never seen the race, or even the horse - but the funny bit was that because I paid tax on the bet, we didn't pay tax on the winnings! We had a good night in the pub!

I remember the Cuthbert and Blackwell bookies, my surname is Blackwell

Curly

Welcome Curly, I went to school with a Linda Blackwell, any relation?