EEC directive 4719B page3 paragraph 2

Find products that have been made in small villages and hamlets for centuries,and find a reason to ban them.Health and Safety is the usual route,don't be put off that nobody has ever been made ill using the product.

A three hundred page report in Eurospeak will be usually be sufficiently confusing to bring about the demise of the product.

Mornin' Curly.....

wellcome curly never liked it but mum always hadsome in at the weekend surposed to have been orrignally made colwick farm mile end rd.

babs

Hi Babs: 'Colwick Farm, Mile End Road'; I'm remembering this address written on the thin paper disc on the top of each individual, circular Colwick cheese.

Colwick cheese, delicious with thinly sliced cucumber and a little bit of salt.

cool2

MY MUM SAID THAT AS A LITTLE GIRL YOU COULD ONLY GET COLWICK CHESE FROM THE FARM AND NOT IN THE SHOPS AND SHE WOULD WALK WITH HER DAD TO GO AND FETCH IT ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY YOU HAD TO TAKE YOUR OWN DISH WITH YOU THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE 1920S. THE FARM WAS OR AT LEAST PART OF IT WAS STILL THERE UNTILL 1970S IT WAS WERE THE NEW HOUSES ON MILE END RD .

They must have marketed it then because it was in the shops in the 50's. Would I be right in saying that it was kept in a bucket that held a small amount of water at the bottom? Or would this have been Cream Cheese?

Writing about Colwick cheese has made me want some; I'm going into Nottingham later, I'll enquire in the Market at the cheese stall as to whether it's still available. :tongue:

i too remember it from 50s and 60s but as i say i never liked it not much of a cheese fan the odd bit of mild chedar on toast is about my limit it gives me migrains.

i remember going down the farm regularly in the sixties as one of my friends kept her ponies down there and i would go and ride her pony billy.

also there was a old cart hourse kept down there called kit , said to be between 35 and 40 years old, she used to belong to a milk man who dillivered in the cavendish rd area stilldelivering in a van in the eighties but i carnt remember his name. he live just of burton rd pehaps beefy will remember him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

!clapping! yummy colwick cheese that was arel treat wish Iknew how to get hold of some

and not forgetting delicious MUSHY PEAS.My dad always had whelks and cockles on a saturday,mum used to cook tripe and onions

couldnt stomach that now (excuse the pun ) :mouse:

Med/Bro Gel, you may find some Colwick cheese in the Victoria Market, Victoria Centre. A few weeks ago the lady who runs the cheese stall informed me that she was thinking of selling this cheese again - there has been a ban on it for a time, as I'm sure you know.

I pride myself on being able to make superb mushy peas; I know the secret of getting them just right - foamy and loose - I suppose we've all got our favourite recipes.

As for 'tripe and onions', I loved my mum to make this for dinner; she'd serve the 'tripe and onions' with white sauce and creamed potatoes - yummy, yummy, yummy, I can taste it now! :tongue:

Jackson, I think you are the only person I know that liked tripe and onions as a youngster, or the only one that's ever said so. I never tried it but couldn't get past the look and smell of it. My parents loved it, so did my in-laws, it must be the generation. I guess it was a cheap, filling meal in the 40's and most likely before.

:cool: Excuse me now but I think it's Utter Tripe what you two are saying and I think I must defend 'ye most humble tripe':

If tripe hadn't been a popular dish at one time, then how come there used to be 'Tripe Shops'?

I once kept a Scottish Terrier - name of Judy - and almost the only thing she'd eat was tripe; this was back in the 80's and I remember it certainly wasn't cheap serving her this delicacy for dinner most nights!

I suppose everybody could make claim to their mums being the best cooks ever but in all honesty my mum was a good cook; any guest sitting at her table would have found it hard to have said no to her delicious tripe and onions - especially with tomato ketchup or HP sauce to accompany it!

And finally, remember what Gordon Ramsey believes: it's not the ingredients that are used in a dish, it's the way that they are used. unionflag Dedicated to the dish: 'Tripe And Onions' that once was.

That told those two 'Tripehounds' (whatever that means)................I never did like tripe, but loved the suace & onions cooked with it, with bread & butter (well, bread & stork) slywink

Tripe! My father used to get a truck load of the guts from the Abattoirs (Bitterlings?) to feed the pigs in the early days. Still remember the intact guts wobbling on the back of the truck, the smell and the mess being pushed off into a boiler to be cooked. The pigs went mad for it whether cooked or not.

Later years at the Kennels, used to get the tripe and I had the job every now and then cook it in a large vat over a fire. The stink can still be remembered, especially when you took the lid off and got a face full of steam. When cooked, used to chop up the tripe into much smaller pieces for the dogs meals.

Funny thing, I never ever developed the taste for tripe.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Bless you Paulus for defending me in my loyalty to the dish: 'Tripe and Onions'.

And double bless you Paulus for having the guts to confess that you didn't have butter on your bread but Stork! :biggrin:

Remember the 'Stork Test' anyone? Where some kind of early mobile caravan travelled around different areas, asking housewives to participate in a test as to who could tell Stork from butter. If you could, you'd be the lucky winner of £10.

Chivalry is my middle name!!...............it's Joseph actually, but that's another story.....................I couldn't have passed the stork test as I'd never tasted butter before, only my dad had butter, me mam told us it would make uys sick!!