• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this: http://www.nctx.co.u...city-transport/ 1912 Service numbers were introduced for the first time on to the tram services. These were: 1 Sherwood to Trent Bridge; 2 Mapperley to Trent Brid

Hi Compo and Hi Stu: I have taken a look at Stu's reference and am now adding a bit of a personal touch regarding the No 1 Bus route from Hanley Street Terminus: Up Derby Road to Canning Circus, dow

That would be a No 41 There is for those of you who dont know there is a very good book on NCT trolley buses by David R H Bowler it's a bit pricey at £30 Can still be bought at Book Law publication

Found this:

http://www.nctx.co.u...city-transport/

Service numbers were introduced for the first time on to the tram services. These were: 1 Sherwood to Trent Bridge; 2 Mapperley to Trent Bridge; 3 Bulwell to Trent Bridge; 4 Basford to Colwick Road; 5 Nottingham Road to Radford and Lenton; 6 St Ann’s Well Road to Lenton and Radford; 7 Wilford Road to London Road; 8 Carlton Road to Market Place.

• Upvote 1

Hi Compo and Hi Stu:

I have taken a look at Stu's reference and am now adding a bit of a personal touch regarding the No 1 Bus route from Hanley Street Terminus:

Up Derby Road to Canning Circus, down Alfreton Road onto Gregory Blvd then Western Blvd onto Nuthall Road, turn left into Melbourne Road, up Hilcot Drive, on up to Minver Crescent, turn right into Rosslyn Drive then up to the Terminus. Okay for you? :smile:

• Upvote 1

Hi Compo: 'was the terminus on Broxtowe Lane?':

the terminus for the number 1 bus was at the top of Rosslyn Drive, just around the corner you met Broxtowe Lane - halfway up; Broxtowe Lane was long and continued way up to 'The Cocked Hat' and I'm sure beyond - Kath will know this as she has an excellent memory.

Once it got around Canning Circus, and onto Alfreton Rd it was basically a straight shot to Melbourne Rd, then when it got to the top of Rosslyn, it went round Bells Lane/Broxtowe Lane island back onto Rosslyn and parked facing the right way to get back to town.

IIRC there was a number 1 school bus in Bridgford colours. It left the terminus at Adbolton Grove, Lady Bay at 8.30am and went to Loughborough Road via Davies Road and Musters Road. It reurned at 4.00pm.

I was thinking in the region of late 50s to mid 60s - Katyjay and Jackson seem to have the dates about spot on.

I thought the ex South Notts service was The number one route.

Starting at Loughborough:

Baxter Gate - The Conneries - Nottingham Road - Station Boulevard(new road) - Meadow Lane - Stanford - East Leake - Gotham - Clifton - Wilford - Trent Bridge - Midland Railway Station - Canal Street - Maid Marion Way - Friar Lane - Beastmarket Hill

The number 1 to Aspley was an NCT route, my dad would catch it home from work, we lived on Minver crescent so he'd hop off as the bus slowed to corner hilcot/minver, it was slow at this point having toiled up hilcot.......................

Service numbers were introduced for the first time on to the tram services. These were: 1 Sherwood to Trent Bridge; 2 Mapperley to Trent Bridge; 3 Bulwell to Trent Bridge; 4 Basford to Colwick Road; 5 Nottingham Road to Radford and Lenton; 6 St Ann’s Well Road to Lenton and Radford; 7 Wilford Road to London Road; 8 Carlton Road to Market Place.

I might be wrong here but did they later add 4 to those number like the '3' Bulwell to Trent Bridge became the 43, likewise the '4' Basford to Colwick Road. became the 44?

All double numbers preceded with 4 were trolleybuses, or was I imagining this? Althoiugh 39 was a trolley route, Wollaton I think........................I'm rambling again!!

Route 39 Did indeed run from Wollaton & ran to Carlton Post Office Square via Derby Road, Parliament Street. Southwell Road & Carlton Road/Hill

Route 38 was the same as route 39 but terminated at Hooton Road(Top of Carlton Hill)

PLEASE could anyone remind me of the number of the trolley bus that ran from Cinderhill Island/ Nuthall Road, all the way to Trent Bridge?

That would be a No 41

There is for those of you who dont know there is a very good book on NCT trolley buses by David R H Bowler it's a bit pricey at £30

Can still be bought at Book Law publications on Carlton Hill(Near Standhill Road)

• Upvote 1

That would be a No 41

There is for those of you who dont know there is a very good book on NCT trolley buses by David R H Bowler it's a bit pricey at £30

Can still be bought at Book Law publications on Carlton Hill(Near Standhill Road)

That's got me wondering....there used to be at least one trolleybus went up Nottingham Road for Basford and Bulwell; some school mates of mine used to catch it (them?) - Numbers anyone?

Ta, I was getting confued in my tiny mind. Thinking it was the 40 but then remembered the 40 went to Wells Road, 47 to Kildare road, so could it be the 41? Thanks for the answer, I would have been thinking about that all day otherwise.

Don't think they were that frequent, maybe every 20-30 mins I'd think. I do remember sitting on one waiting for it to leave, so it must have sat a while at the terminus. It went along Nuthall Road, left on to Stockhill Lane, which turned into Percy St then into Alpine Street, right over the railway bridge, left on to Valley Rd. Right onto Nottingham Road, which turned into Sherwood Rise, to Gregory Blvd. Round the island, right onto Mansfield Rd and down to the bottom of that. Left onto Lower Parliament St, left onto London Rd to Trent Embankment, if I'm remembering correctly. [or did it go into town and through the Market Square, now I come to think of it, I think I caught it a few times outside the post office on Queen Street to go home]

Route 39 Did indeed run from Wollaton & ran to Carlton Post Office Square via Derby Road, Parliament Street. Southwell Road & Carlton Road/Hill

Route 38 was the same as route 39 but terminated at Hooton Road(Top of Carlton Hill)

I missed the Ilkeston Road bit up to Canning Circus.

I missed the Ilkeston Road bit up to Canning Circus.

I have been talking to my mother (82) and she said the route from Wollaton went down Edward Street, Bath Street & Handal Street.(But only in that direction)