First escalators in Nottingham?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding the grand staircase (Art Deco style) in the once big Co-op, Parliament Street, does it still exist? Loved that staircase - it really was Grand - and the rotating doors - one on Wollaton St,

I thought the first one was put into Griffin & Spaldings when they did a renovation and extension in the late 1950s. I remember seeing the escalator arrive outside the store on a huge lorry and la

When I heard about the compensation paid to the young man who was hurt on the escalator in West End Arcade I was surprised that there was one there. A very nasty accident and so sad for the unfortunat

Before then ? I think some were installed in one of the department stores in the late 50s or early 60s(Co-op? or Griffin & Spalding?)

PS I left Nottingham in 1967 for work reasons & it was before then.

I remember using the one in Marks and Sparks (Or it may have been Wollies further down Lister Gate, that would be a long time before VC) and the Co op on Parliament Street

First one I remember was in Griffins - I think the Co-Op came next, but I could be wrong!

I can remember the manned lifts in the Coop but I don't recall any escalators. And M&S was on one floor only during the 1970s so I can't see much need for escalators there. As for Griffin's I can't say.

For some reason I think the ones in West End Arcade might've been the earliest. The place was "modernised" some time in the early/mid 60s and I think they were put in then. It was a bit odd that something so modern should be in an out-of-the-way location. As Bamber mentioned, I don't remember any escalators in the big department stores. Not in the Co-op because they had the lifts and the big art deco staircase; possibly Woolies but I don't remember any; but what about C & A ? which I often went in but I can't recall if they had any escalators or not.

So my money might stay on West End Arcade.

It was C & A that I was thinking of (Not Marks or Woolies , right area wrong shop!!) I'm pretty sure the one in the Coop was to the rear of the lifts ie to the left and back a bit if you stood and looked at it from Parliament Street

Regarding the grand staircase (Art Deco style) in the once big Co-op, Parliament Street, does it still exist?

Loved that staircase - it really was Grand - and the rotating doors - one on Wollaton St, the other on Parliament St. unionflag

• Upvote 1

I love rotating doors. An old shop closed down a few years ago up here in Thurso. Fortunately, the new owners (accountants) kept the rotating doors which still look good even in the modern setting of the rest of the frontage.

I love rotating doors. An old shop closed down a few years ago up here in Thurso. Fortunately, the new owners (accountants) kept the rotating doors which still look good even in the modern setting of the rest of the frontage.

I like revolting doors too ;)

The escalators were installed as part of WEA's redevelopment in 1968. So that beats the Vic Centre by a couple of years. C&A did have an escalator but only after the 1974-75 rebuild.

So I reckon the plaudits go to the West End Arcade. Take a bow! You may be unloved but you were the first.

I managed to get my head stuck in the guard rail of one as a toddler somewhere in Nott'm (long before 1968!!)

Just been on the phone to my mum and she tells me that happened in a (Long gone) mensware shop at the junction of Clumber street and Long Row , but she can't remember what they were called. She thinks the escalator went down into the basement and not up to another sales floor.

She then went into a long diatribe about her first escalator ride being in Manchester or Blackpool , she wasn't 100% on where , as they visited both on the same works outing in around 1949 !

Yes you're right Hippo girl,it ran up at the right hand side of the store,turning left to go into the self service resturant.

I remember going with my mum,and I stopped going to town with her in 1961,prefering to go with my mates.

You old un's must have gone to 'Woolies' cafe with your mum,we dragged them every where else.

So my first attempt was nearly correct then .....LOL

My mum may have have mixed up a story or two there.

There was an escalator "somewhere" in Nottingham pre 1958, recall the date as we moved house then and one afternoon came home to old house to find Mum not in from her once a week shopping in town trip, the hours passed (no phone in those days) but eventually she arrived having been in the General Hospital getting a gash on her eyebrow stitched after falling going up an escalator. C&A sounds favourite (according to Compo) as whilst never mentioning a wooden one she did say she hit her head "on an aluminium strip fitted to stop you slipping". There was an escalator in Woolworths on Lister Gate, as someone said think an up only one the near the doors of the "lower shop" which I recall joined the upper one in a type of (upside down) "Y" with The Sawyers Arms in the middle of the Y.