motorcycle shop old broadmarsh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol, the joys of motorcycling! Will ask Mick about that trip, but you're not confusing it with his detour through through the open doors of Marks &Spencer Wheeler Gate are you? Had left the marke

Does this show it? It certainly shows Fred Bunney's

Hooleys motorcycle shop later became a chinky (am I allowed to sat that now?) before it was the lighting shop. It was just south the old ballroom and the roundabout it faced was known as Hooleys islan

Kingstons was located on Wilford st'/Castle blv'd,the shop/showrooms were on a curve,they had a double set of gates that went to the workshop. The frontage took up 2-3 shop areas.All painted dark red,with signwriting in gold with black shadow.

That is where I bought my first Triumph,never knew it to be in Broadmarsh.

Were there two Kingstons. One was diagonally opposite Remayne and Todds at the Canal Street, Carrington Street traffic lights.

The other bike shop was where the Canal tavern is (was). As Mudgie says, there was a yard at the side, I took a 1931 Ariel outfit there to be MOTed, also in the yard were some other businesses, IIRC one was Needham and Jackson engineers.

nearby back along Canal Street was a coffee bar (Brief Encounter?).

I can't remember two kingstons. Only the one i know now my memories coming back is or was on canal/carrington st as oldace says The sales chaps use to wear white coats or was it brown? my first m/bike was a honda 90.

I bought my first ever brand new bike from Kingston's IIRC 350 quid for a Suzuki T250J in 1972, my previous machines had been either 2nd hand or on loan. Swapped it for a Reliant Supervan III after a couple of years but, as they say, that's another story.

Think Kingston's was the shop to the left of the arch? but that was later, never visited it. Went round ALL the old bike shops aged probably 16 to 18 before I worked out what a rip off they were! Did used to go to Bunney's later though for MOT's as a very reasonable tester there, would go out of his way NOT to fail a bike, like passing them when play in ADUSTABLE bearings, and not insisting everything worked even if not on MOT checklist like some I could mention, In any case back then MOT's and tax were regarded as an optional extra by most bikers! lol

Close.....it was the Narrow Boat, although it wasn't really opposite, (unless you mean opposite to People's College); it was round the corner on Canal Street

narrow-1.jpg

The other one nearby is a bit further up Wilford Road and called the Navigation

navigation.jpg