Any accent experts out there?

Treacle tins stuffed with anything that would burn and swung around on string so that they glowed in the dark - Winter Warmers; great!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There used to be a programme on telly called "Ask Aspel" (Michael aspel was the host). It was always referred to as ARSK ASPEL. Now, if you are going to say ARSK then surely you should also say ARSPE

Arh, may anorl serry.

I remember learning the story of "The Creation" whilst iat Ripley Methodist Church. IIRC the last line was , "And on't 7th day, lord said bu99er it am jiggered, and went back t bed"

We 'ad torches & gloves (old socks) in Aspleh, 'cos we wos posh!!........................no arses in our trousers, an' 'oles in our shoes, but we wos posh!!

I just typed a note and without thinking wrote "8 mile trog through the boglands of Caithness today" Nah then, is TROG a Notts word? I remember using it as a kid but no idea of where its origin might be.

I recall a 'gang' of people in Nottingham, 60's/70's who spent time in the caves at Matlock, & called themselves Trogs (Trogladytes) never sure what they were about, but I think mainly bikers, of the unwashed variety...........................but I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks on this one......................

your right there paulus a mottly crew of hells angels .andim saying no more but i could name a few of them.

compo i always thought the word was trodge or at least thats what we usedmeaning a trek.

your right there paulus a mottly crew of hells angels .andim saying no more but i could name a few of them.

compo i always thought the word was trodge or at least thats what we usedmeaning a trek.

Thanks Babs, I had a feeling you could verify this one.........................I think they inhabited Matlock caves, & were an unwelcome presence in Matlock Bath for quite a while...............

They wore a logo on their jackets IIRC "Ts". Trogs after the term Troglodite = cave dweller. Did they not also call themselves Nomads "Ns" or was that yet another group?

Yep, remember them also being talked about, I recall clashers between the 2 groups (Babs may know) in the local news

Morning Compo....you weren't meaning to write 'Trudge' were you??..........trudge/trəj/Verb: Walk slowly and with heavy steps, typically because of exhaustion or harsh conditions.

Definitely not Trudge. It was a jolly springy-stepped walk. I can't recall where I got the term "Trogging on" from but it fits the mood anyway.

Wasent't Trudging an army term which was used for walking round the Falklands during the F.War?

'Trudging and Wedging' is a term used by police for forcing back crowds, and was used

during the Miners strike.

'trudge', verb, to walk laboriously. A lovely word, that must be used, or it is in danger of becoming obselete. :)

I've written a memo to myself: 'do a small piece of writing today in which the word 'trudge' is used'.

I use "Trudge" on a fairly regular basis. The most usual reason for my use is in shopping. eg "She made me trudge around the flipping shops all morning". In mountain-speak mode I use "Trudge" to describe a long walk-in to the foot of the mountain.

Didn't one group of 'Trogs' wear a maroon anorak to identify themselves? I remember seeing them often in the 'old market square' mid 60s.

Their local hero was a character called 'Sutch' (Clive?) sang with a few local bands.

Maybe Hippogirl has some info'.

That reminded me of the Asian 'Anorak Factory' corner of Hartley Road and Norton Street.

They were quilted nylon, stitched in a squared pattern. Available in Navy or Brown.

Remember those anoraks well. All the rage at the British School in Arnold in 1966 the year I was there. Always felt the blue ones were intrinsically cooler than the brown ones which were unfortunately chosen by some mate's mums.

I also remember in the same era 'pak-a-maks' (sp). What a bind they were (and sore on the legs when you were wearing short trousers). Thank the lord for 'Batman' cards with bubbly gum and 'Milko' chews to take your mind off the pain...

• Upvote 1

They came out I think about 1960, have a photo of myself and dad wearing then at Dudley Zoo that year (it pee'd down all day), Don't recall pac a mac's making my legs sore with short trousers, but wellies did! my lasting memory of the former was they did make you sweat! (and tore easily)

During the 50's, when pacamacs first came on the market, together with other plastic goods - biros, bags, shoes (jellies) - they were very expensive, as were biros.

I remember pacamacs on display in Woolworths; all beautiful, bright colours. :biggrin:

Later, they became collector's items; I have a few somewhere.

High fashion even took the idea of the pacamac and presented it on the catwalk.

Memo: I must have a photograph taken of myself wearing an original pacamac. :biggrin:

trogs and nomads were two different groups and they certainly did clash from time to time,and hippo girl wil definitely know about this group and did certainly knew sutch ha ha, yes he was in a few bands including mothers ruin with cranson they used to play regularly at the white hart some good nights with them .