Any accent experts out there?

I posted this in a thread about the NCB and afterwards thought it might be of some interest in here. If there are any experts out there could you please explain why the Erewash Valley has two distinct accents in the same area? I offer for example:

Me fost wife were frum Selson. Her father had a strong 'old' erewash accent but her mother had the newer version. eg He said 'fost' and she would say Faerst. Both families were from Selston. Ay wokt dahn Underwud when I were at Annesley. He always called the third person "Oh" not sure how to spell it but that's how it sounded. He said it was a form of old Saxon language; whether it was or not I don't know. "Oh's ter mae" would be "He (or she) said to me."

Thoughts, please.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There used to be a programme on telly called "Ask Aspel" (Michael aspel was the host). It was always referred to as ARSK ASPEL. Now, if you are going to say ARSK then surely you should also say ARSPE

Arh, may anorl serry.

I remember learning the story of "The Creation" whilst iat Ripley Methodist Church. IIRC the last line was , "And on't 7th day, lord said bu99er it am jiggered, and went back t bed"

Compo I found when, I went to work in Derbyshire, and Ripley in particular, there was a distinctive accent which I cant put into written words

like I can a notts accent. I would love to see some more written examples of the pronunciations of Derbys lingo.

I was up near Pinxton last week where the accent was different again. These were people on their 70s talking, I would doubt

these micro dialects will last much longer. Living in Long Eaton since 96, I cant say as I notice a particular accent, but perhaps because

I never listened for it.

Quite right the lingo is slightly different from central Nottingham, "tha Knows" and "Fair enjoyed me sen" Alfreton becomes "Often"

Strange you should mention Saxon words! something that has intrigued me is the name of a road at the back of Jacksdale in Westwood it's called Barrows Hill Lane, often wondered if there was any Saxon connection but have never been able to learn anything.

"Fost" sounds a lot like the accent around Long Eaton (I grew up there), whereas "faerst" was common around Ilkeston and perhaps Eastwood. I do remember that Ilkeston seemed to have an accent all of its own, and it was different to that of my relatives in both Heanor and Eastwood.

An example of "Long Eaton" can be found in this quiz and sounds a lot like Nottingham to me - but Long Eaton was built on lace workers who moved from Nottingham

I think "O" for the third person was common to Derbyshire. There were a lot of Belper folk worked at Derby railway works (well, they attended and were paid wages anyway !) Their rendering of the surprised interrogative "She didn't, did she?" came out as a single word : "Odidnerdidder?"

Another ex-colleague who lived in Ripley would reel off the following place names : Ilson, Copney, Aynor, Often and Smercotees. I was never quite convinced about the last, which did nothing to abbreviate the pronunciation, but he was not the only person I heard refer thus to Somercotes. (Mam also used to talk of Pinxton jam mines and Selston treacle pits - not sure why though!)

Brinsley pit was known locally as Bod Tod (Bird Turd) pit. There is a legend that one official's wife thought she was too posh to say Bod Tod so she used to say Bird Lime colliery.

I know a girl from Somercotes who also pronounces it Summer

Ex wife always used to say Sum-er-cot-ees too.

I know a girl from Somercotes who always pronounces it as above.

I remember learning the story of "The Creation" whilst iat Ripley Methodist Church. IIRC the last line was , "And on't 7th day, lord said bu99er it am jiggered, and went back t bed"

• Upvote 1

A guy who I used to work with came from Bolsover, but always refers to Bo'zer

Which is what the locals called it.

A friend always referred to "Stragglethorpe treacle mines"

An industry often accredited to different parts of the UK Treacle mining

A group of USian tourists once stopped and asked a friend of mine "Is the the right road for Luger-ber-ooger?" (Loughbrough). She still laughs about it to this day.

When I first came to the States I worked for BPB industries - you can imagine the laughs we got from US employees trying to say our mailing address: East Leake, Near Loughborough, Leicestershire! I don't know one who got it right the first time!

And the posh ones have a 'barth' ...ive looked in our 'bath' many times and cant find an 'r' in it.

A northern TV chef on the box a while back, stood next to Robin Hoods statue and mentioned the Castle.

There was a shout of 'Cut'...

A voice off camera said..."You said Castle"..

The chef said..."So?"

"It should be Carstle!"

"P**s off you southern W***er!"...said the chef.."up here it's called a Castle! get used to it"

• Upvote 1

The one I could never figure out was "grarse" - I always thought it was "grass"!

Spent a lot of time in Hucknall, only a few miles from Basford but a different dialect, also went in a pub in Dumbarton, heard the barmaid say just "yes sir," tell me the price and "thank you" she was amazed when I correctly said "you're from Mansfield aren't you?"