Motor Cycle Enthusiast Page

Alec, he rode a Norton 650SS, thickset bloke, the Norton looked pretty small when he rode it. He wore black leather jeans

to go with his black leather jacket and boots, IIRC he also had a black crash helmet.

I hope to be down for the Skeggy reunion next month, last year both Cranson and Nature Boy turned up for the first time.

We all raise a glass to Dave Moult and Isobel Durose this year.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I've been on this forum a few years now, I'd better put up a few pics of mine, past and present. Currently in the stable; 1942 Harley-Davidson WLC; one of 88,000 produced by the company duri

O happy days; and some sad ones. Top picture is me (left!) and pal Johnny Bennett at a trials meeting at Bevercotes in September 1959. John's mother had the tuffee shop on Nuthall Road. Emigrated to S

Posted Images

ace we must get together and raise our glasses to all our old absent friends but this year my special thought will be with maurice kettle big rally person and a biker all his life mainly outfits was at last years reunion on his gold wing trike izzy and of course moulty and as moulty last song said we must

always look on the bright side off life and enjoy every moment we have to the full to the best of our abbillities, dave was always a big insperation to me despite his long hard fought battle he always was positive and cheerful when we saw him. and i am sure he had his times when he was alone it got to him but he never would let any one know how he really was even in those last few weeks

Alec, he rode a Norton 650SS, thickset bloke, the Norton looked pretty small when he rode it. He wore black leather jeans

to go with his black leather jacket and boots, IIRC he also had a black crash helmet.

I hope to be down for the Skeggy reunion next month, last year both Cranson and Nature Boy turned up for the first time.

We all raise a glass to Dave Moult and Isobel Durose this year.

Yes thats him! he was Draughtsman at Goodacre Glover & Butler heating eng. stood between Woodhouse's and Henton & chattel on London rd my first job after leaving school. He would regail us with tales of staying out in some disused manor house and other stuff I can't recall. Nice to know I remembered his bike correctly though.

The disused manor house would be what we called the Villa. It was a deserted wooden summer house near Bunny woods. We would go there on summer nights.

Often on a run out on Saturday night, usually along the A614 and A1, we would wait until dawn and race back to Nottingham. The extra moisture in the air seemed to help the carburation, and the bikes were a few mph faster, plus the roads were deserted.

Typically we would collect at Redhill, and then race along the boulevards and out on the Loughborough road to Bunny.

Babs, I didn't realise the Goldwing Trike was Maurice Kettle's. I knew his brother Alwyn more than him. Another sad loss.

• Upvote 1

We met at the bottom of the hill,, just before the Mansfield turn off. There used to be car parking in front of a petrol staion?, car workshop? or cafe?

Was there a track running to the left and parallel to the main road, starting near the bottom of the hill and heading back up the hill heading south. IIRC we would park the bikes on the start of the track. From there we could hear the slower bikes heading towards us.

Yeah, that was probably Hawker's Garage you're talking about. Think there was a cafe there too. That area is known as Lea Pool -traffic roundabout there of many years but used to be a junction.

The 'track' you mention is the original road, Arch Hill. It leads up and over past Arch Bridge and back down to Mansfield Road again. It was the old route before the cutting was dug in the road and the bridge that crosses it, constructed.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nottingham&ll=53.019732,-1.130929&spn=0.000876,0.002642&hnear=Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.019812,-1.130915&panoid=aDnMyVpNf0uIkSGg0hR_mg&cbp=12,163.42,,0,3.08

The disused manor house would be what we called the Villa. It was a deserted wooden summer house near Bunny woods. We would go there on summer nights.

Often on a run out on Saturday night, usually along the A614 and A1, we would wait until dawn and race back to Nottingham. The extra moisture in the air seemed to help the carburation, and the bikes were a few mph faster, plus the roads were deserted.

Typically we would collect at Redhill, and then race along the boulevards and out on the Loughborough road to Bunny.

Babs, I didn't realise the Goldwing Trike was Maurice Kettle's. I knew his brother Alwyn more than him. Another sad loss.

Hope you enjoyed writing this as much as I enjoyed reading it. Warm summer nights girls motor bikes and good mates.

"Why did we have to grow up"

yeh thats what we all saybut ask anybody of our generation and most will tell you the same we were the luck ones best bikes best music best entertainment and it did not have tocost you a furtune i could easily go out on 5 bob 2 bob for bus fairs 4 bus rides and the rest for drinksand if i got a lift home i had extra bob for next night.

old ace yes we knew alwyn better than his brothers jeff and maurice but dave went to eliphant and dragon rallies and several others for a couple of years with all three of them before he went in the airforce in sixty nine

• 2 weeks later...

knew quite a few lads who had bikes in their bedrooms to mend then but not in their beds not many garages in them days . even saw one ride his back down the stairs and out the front door. but i think one of the funnyest true story i ever heard was one of the guys had a motor bike brought him for his 18th birthday as he had not past his test and it was 650 his dad put it in the bay window inside the front room of the house . one night a bunch of the lads went back to to his house he decided to start it up and accidently put it into gear and ended up up putting the bike through the bay window and falling onto the rose bushes in the garden but i dont think that was what hurt him most in the end as he had to pay for the window and his brand new bike to be repaired