'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

I can have as many trailer loads of farmyard muck with added peat as I want, delivered free. If I want horse manure I still get it free but have to fetch it myself.

Allotment site took delivery of loads of manure on Saturday.

I shared my load with a neighbour.

This years load was well rotted down & i covered half of one side of my 300sq yard plot I put the rest on the heap & covered it over for later.

I have already set a date for next years supply.:)

• 5 weeks later...

Garden at new house, Mainly concrete... Mix match concrete that looks awful and grey and depressing, two raised flower beds, one full of colourful cheery plants, the other empty as iv pulled out the wilted and dead veggies that where growing and about 3ftx3ft of mud, i assume they got it ready to turf as its mixed with sand. Thinking about taking up the concrete, even if its the path going down the side of the garden and turfing, at least then theres a nice area for little'en to play and a concrete patio, im sure i can find a way to jazz the concrete up...

Jazz it up with Mediterranean plants in pots. Put them in your greenhouse over winter. If no greenhouse wrap up well with thick garden fleece or put in window areas in house.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

:) Spent two lovely afternoons in the back garden this weekend.

You just need to be well wrapped up - woolly hat and gloves on - and it can prove to be a really invigorating and pleasurable way to spend a productive time.

Yesterday afternoon with the appearance of a bright Winter sun, the birds in the trees in the gardens roundabouts were singing their heads off - must remember to buy some fat balls for them. Must especially treat the chubby, orange breasted robin who played games with me: flying briskly past my head and nearly knocking me over! :biggrin:

Just love the sharp Winter air on my face, beats any moisturiser. :)

PS: I can now look out of my kitchen window and congratulate myself on taking the effort to make my garden look tidy before Christmas.

Hiding from the sleet and wind I spent today in the wood with my chain saw and this is my production for the day:

IMG_5969.JPG

I'm told the above link might not work in the forum so please try this if it fails:

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/March262012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJTx9_ne8tqvRg&feat=directlink

:) Appreciating the Beauty of the Winter season:

Going out in the garden early this morning I was met with a Winter Wonderland.

The sharp, still, slight, chilly air was beautiful to experience.

My small patch of land is frozen, yet there's the promise of the huge, white Winter sun warming up later to melt the stiff, white coating of frost.....

'It's lovely here in my garden;

a sanctuary,

away from a world clogged up in getting' :)

It was a clear frosty day in Caithness yesterday. These are a few pics taken in the garden at 1:30PM. It is now howling with wind and sleeting. Had a couple of snow showers later on yesterday but nothing much.

IMG_5992_zps495ff8a6.jpg

IMG_5984_zpsd49f6e2e.jpg

IMG_5981_zps6edb2b6d.jpg

Wish i could get out and see the beautiful frost covered plants, leaves etc. Unfortunatly im bedridden with an agonising kidney infection.. stupidly went into the city centre yesterday, wich made me worse today, But it felt so festive to walk around the vic market, the christmas market and see all the lights and tree's. Daughter also enjoyed it, she didnt know what to look at first! So for now, im enjoying the view of frosty rooftops and the odd bird glide past.

Cheers Katy, been evil, started off as a bladder infection FOUR WEEKS ago, still waiting on test results so the doctors can treat me for it, its agony. But the best thing i can do is drink plenty of water for now i guess and have lots of rest.

Sorry to hear you are suffering with kidney trouble Pixie,drink 'plenty' of water,if it happens to be kidney stones it will help loosen and hopefully flush them out.

I know exactly how painful it is,lay off tea,coffee, and soda pop, they seem to aggravate the problem.

Take care of yourself. Bryan

Ah yes, im a big tea drinker but every time i have a cuppa im in agony, Been sticking to the odd mug of hot choc and lots and lots of water. I finally have some antibiotics after speaking to a doctor on the phone, hurray!