British eccentrics (nutters):

Local to Bacup in Lancashire, the Britannia Coconut Dancers (Locally known as the Bacup Nutters) perform annually on Easter Saturday. if ever there was a cert for winning the "Nutter of the Year" prize it must be this lot:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

basfordred

Me!

It's not funny Fynger!

All part of the Great British culture. . I was asked to join our local "morris men" last year but was unable to because of my back. I was hoping to join them this year but it's still made of glass, ah well , next year maybe !!

I was an active Morris Man - in Swaziland! No kidding, and we actually got recognition from the King!

What, like .

"That''s a Morris Man,"

"Aha , I'll recognise them from now on"

Limey: I danced with White Boar Morrismen, Selston Morrismen and Horwich Prize Medal Morrismen in my time. I did a jig on the summit of Mt Menagesha in Ethiopia (1985) to the delight of the Canadians with me.

The delightful Christine and her blonde haired partner, Mandy Rice-Davies enjoying moonlight dips in the pool with Profumo and his mates. Kept the News of the World circulation rates high for ages as well as the positive effect on Anglo-Russian relationships!!!!!!!!!!

The image of Chiristine Keeler on 'that chair' has certainly retained it's place in our minds, if not our hearts, copied so many times since published by various artists/models. but for a young lad there was only the one 'chair photo'...................... slywink

What a fantastic example of an early 60s fashionable chair!

Screaming Lord Sutch also owned a pirate Radio station "Radio Sutch" later Radio City. A true eccentric nutcase.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=radio+sutch&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=itjcT7LwH4-p8QOug6SOCw&ved=0CHkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=933

one of our old biker mates dave wallters from 41 club is now a morrris dancer but i forget that group hees with do you know him compo been ding it for a while now i know.

I always enjoyed dancing the Border tradition and this is a good example:

Comedy Morris. These really are British nutters! Gets more violent as it progresses...

Have to give "Screaming Lord Such" a mention on this one!. I didn't know that he stood for the Stratford Upon Avon election after John Profumo,s exit over the Christine Keeler affair, that brought back a few memories!

17/6/12 BLUE PLAQUE TO HONOUR SCREAMING LORD SUTCH TO BE UNVEILED <link>

Saturday, June 16 marked the 13th anniversary of the death of the rock and roll musician and founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, David ‘Screaming Lord’ Sutch. And bookmakers William Hill, who sponsored many of the late maverick politician’s election campaigns and who still support the Party he founded, have announced that they and, Loony Party stalwart, Lord Toby Jug, who was the key mover behind it all, have arranged for the unveiling of a Heritage Foundation Blue Plaque to commemorate Sutch’s life to take place on Sunday, November 4 (six days before what would have been his 72nd birthday) at the world-famous Ace Café in London. Spectators will be welcome.

‘David Sutch was an irreplaceable presence at virtually every General Election and By Election from the 1960s onwards and the political scene has been the poorer and duller for his absence. We are delighted to be able to announce the unveiling of a permanent memorial to his impact on the worlds of rock and roll music and politics’ said Hill’s spokesman Graham Sharpe, who also wrote the biography, The Man Who Was Screaming Lord Sutch.

Sutch was the first political figure to campaign for Votes at 18; commercial radio stations and Pet Passports.and all day pub opening.

Another one of his was the "Hedgehog Crossing" as opposed to the "Zebra and Pelican crossings" and he wasn't too far off either. I mean how many Pelicans and Zebras do you know of that have been run over since the advent of such ? answer , none,

How many Hedgehogs does it take to die before some one makes one for them !!!

I actually don't know if he did actually advocate them , but if he didn't , he should have !!