70 years on, D-Day Landing Sites Then And Now

In 2005, we had a holiday in Normandy, staying in one of the villages on Juno beach, St Aubin-Sur-Mer. Battle scars are still visible on the houses on the seafront, and there is still a light gun in an emplacement on the promenade.

We also went to Pegasus Bridge, where they still have some of the gliders and there are still bullet holes to be seen on the old bridge, to Arromanches where some of the Mulberry harbour is still out at sea, the Grand Bunker in Ouistreham, and to the Juno Beach Centre.

It's also hard to believe that Caen was virtually flattened. Every building that was there before the war has been rebuilt.

Most poignant of all were the small military cemeteries we saw in many villages.

• Upvote 2

same here mick most efective

as i said i was at the national arboretum this after noon one of the most efective memorials i saw was a wonderful sculpture of pegasus only wish we had taken the camera with us but as it was a spur of the moment desision when we had started of

In '62, the family travelled around through France and the signs of warfare, destroyed buildings and shell and bullet scars on buildings was still plain to see. However, it was the many fields of gleaming white gravestones, lined up in geometrical precision and seemingly stretching forever that will stay in my mind. It was hard then as a teenager and even now that, for each cross, a person had fought and died.

I doubt whether you would be allowed these days but, back then 16 years after the war, we went up the coast around Dunkirk and actually climbed on and through the massive concrete gun emplacements in the dunes overlooking the beaches. Many of the bunkers were scattered on their side like a child's toy bricks and the force that would have been applied to cause that would have been immense.

My father was evacuated from Dunkirk and his subsequent theatre of war was Africa and up into Italy and even he said he was glad he did not have to take part in the Normandy landings.

My grandfather was killed on the Somme during WW1 aged 21 at St Emillie which is near Perrone.I to have toured that northern part of France and the many cemetries including where grandpa is buried and the many white tombstones remind you of that stupid war in the muddy filthy trenches really tragic.

On the news this morning,Bernard Jordan 90 yrs old told by his 'care home' in Hove,we cant get you on the trip for the 'D' - day celebrations.So he went AWOL AND GOT THERE BY HIMSELF, Absolutely brilliant ,what spirit!

• Upvote 9

The determination and valour of people like Bernard Jordan is what won the war. Bless him for his courage. He deserves another medal for his enduring spirit. Well Done Bernard, you make us proud.

• Upvote 4

Only trouble with those news reports about Bernard Jordan is that they're only slightly factually incorrect. He is not held prisoner by the care home, and can come and go as he pleases.

The care home had previously asked if he wanted to go on the organised Legion trip, but he said no. Then he changed his mind and made his own way.

The only issue was that he hadn't told them where he was going!

#10 well hes given the care home enough notice for next year,QUOTE, " IF I AM STILL HERE I WILL GO NEXT YEAR " bless him hope he makes it.

• Upvote 1

On a different tack, there was a programme recently on Channel 5 where the wrecks off the invasion beaches were traced. May still be available on demand in the UK... http://www.channel5.com/shows/d-days-sunken-secrets/episodes/d-days-sunken-secrets

Yes Rob, I watched that programme, it was really interesting and I learnt so much about the D Day landings that I'd never heard about before. Hope it's shown again sometime.

i live less than a mile from Hucknall Aerodrome and just been treated to a mini aeronautical display by what i presume to be a Spitfire.

Very sad to think that for many veterans, this year will be the last time they visit. Many of them were not even able to talk to their own families about the horrors they saw. As I drove to work Saturday morning, I couldn't help thinking about the fact that 70 years previously many young men both allies and enemy, were dying for our freedom. And look what we have now. I was the next generation along to these heroes. The difference was, I enjoyed my teen years, pubbing, clubbing, holidaying and chatting up girls. Men of my dads generation had to fight a war. I sometimes feel guilty.

• Upvote 5

My dad had been married to my mum for less than two years when he was called up. He left in 1940 and didn't come home again until 1945! I often wonder if we could ever manage such a monumental, collective and unselfish feat again. My hat is off to every one of them, and my heart bleeds for those who never made it home.

• Upvote 2

Re # 15 I agree with everything except that I don't feel guilty, and that is not intended to be smug. I feel mighty relieved and eternally grateful that I did not have to endure what they were subjected to. Every time I see something like this on TV, I cannot help but feel proud, thankful and relieved.

I'm certain a Nazi regime would not have tolerated my antics throughout my life. Thanks chaps !

• Upvote 4

Maybe you're right Basfordred, but perhaps you weren't such a little sh.t in your teen years. I was a rebel with a capital R and my missis reckons I still am.

• Upvote 1

My Dad was on the HMS London for most of the war. I Have a copy of the "Wellesley"Tatler from 1944 that he kept along with a lot of letters. He was 21yrs old. No one likes War but sadly it happens. In this Booklet there is an account of a battle on the French side of the channel, while they were looking for 2 E Boats. When you read this account, and see photo's of him at that age, he looks like a young kid, and yet he had to endure the horrors of war. he was injured in the battle, but soon back on deck, after treatment and a cup full of rum! I am very proud of him and so were the people who entered this item in the Tatler. If anyone wants to see it, I will get it scanned and posted.

• Upvote 1

Re # 19 Afraid I was Bilbraborn. You don't think I'd post everything on here do you? LOL

• Upvote 1

I HAVE MY Grandads discharge papers (wax finish) from the Army in 1915,he was serving in France and was 15 yrs old.On returning home he promptly joined the navy serving on HMS ROXBURGH for the remainder of the war,men and women of their generation were made of stern stuff.he passed away in 1983 and was 83 yrs old and never talked about the war,its only from his papers that were handed down to me that told me a bit of his story.He was a lovely Grandad to me and if i can be half the man he was i will be proud.

• Upvote 5

Benjamin,

My dad was the same as regards talking about the war. I think most of them couldn't talk about it. I remember asking him questions about things and he would answer in a way that skirted around the truth. I only found out about the real battle account in the Tatlers, after Mum passed away in 1997. He passed away age 57 in 1981. Doesn't seem fair when they lost their innocence and gave so much for their country so young.

• Upvote 2

COULD'NT TELL,mercury dancer,after i posted there was a lot more activity,with 4 planes flying in formation with more acrobatics,i'm not up on military planes so dont know what they were either,but enjoyed the spectacle.