What are they for? as a car driver i don't use buses, but for once i did, [ three times], got to the bus stop lots off people standing near it i said who's at the front they looked at me and said nothing, bus came and then it was like charge of the light brigade to get on , is there no queues anymore for buses. Is it an E.C directive that queues are now illegal for buses. lol

What are they for? as a car driver i don't use buses, but for once i did, [ three times], got to the bus stop lots off people standing near it i said who's at the front they looked at me and said nothing, bus came and then it was like charge of the light brigade to get on , is there no queues anymore for buses. Is it an E.C directive that queues are now illegal for buses. lol

Actually, I understand queueing for buses was introduced in the war, particularly for the rather early "last" buses on each route, at about 9 pm. Late workers in reserved occupations had priority passes that allowed them on first, after which the queue filed onto the bus until it was stuffed to absolute capacity.

Remember the bus stop signs that had the words "Queue here" or "Queue this side". Perhaps they need to bring back such signs in order to educate people in the community.

While they are at it, they could also get across the message of walking on the left of the footpath. Seems too many people think they have a God given right to walk wherever they like on our city streets and expect others to get out of their way. They seem quite put out when you don't!

Bus stops in Nottingham were red for motor buses & green for trollies. If both used the stop there was one of each colour. There were request stops and compulsary stops.

The protection area was set up to stop competition between the Corporation and independent companies. In Beeston for example, you could catch a Barton Bus from west of the Square to go to Nottingham centre and you could catch a Barton bus in Nottingham but could not alight until after Beeston Square. So effectively, NCC had the monopoly inside the protection zone.

This all came to an end in 1987-ish when bus services were deregulated.

PERHAPS THIS IS DUE TO ALL THE DIFFERENT ETHNIC MINORITIES IN AND AROUND OUR CITY WHO DO NOT NOW THE MEANING OF QUEING OR WALKING ON CORSYS. AND THAT IS NOT RACIST BUT AN OBSIVATION.

That was similar to the Trent services that used to operate between Mansfield and Nottingham along the A60. On the way to the city you couldn't get on after Daybrook Square. on the way out of Nottingham there was a similar exclusion zone. It made for an even faster service!

Remember the bus stop signs that had the words "Queue here" or "Queue this side". Perhaps they need to bring back such signs in order to educate people in the community.

While they are at it, they could also get across the message of walking on the left of the footpath. Seems too many people think they have a God given right to walk wherever they like on our city streets and expect others to get out of their way. They seem quite put out when you don't!

Yes, and while they are about it, ladies in supermarkets ought to be fitted with brake lights!

That was similar to the Trent services that used to operate between Mansfield and Nottingham along the A60. On the way to the city you couldn't get on after Daybrook Square. on the way out of Nottingham there was a similar exclusion zone. It made for an even faster service!

It also meant that folk travelling "out of town" weren't crowded off by others who had a perfectly good service available from NCT.

I used to travel on a bus (coach) from Bulwell (Market place) to Bestwood Village (first wfe) , can't recall the name of the Company but 'Mackemsons Coaches' rings a bell, their depot was the NCT garage on Highbury vale.........................

I used to travel on a bus (coach) from Bulwell (Market place) to Bestwood Village (first wfe) , can't recall the name of the Company but 'Mackemsons Coaches' rings a bell, their depot was the NCT garage on Highbury vale.........................

Their garage was not the NCT one

but the garage at the bottom of Piccadilly/Highbury Vale, later became ATS tyres.

That bus service was later operated by Skills.

I used a bus once caught the flu that was it for me i would rather use my bike.

Then i used the paddy bus once going home from the Palais or should i call it the puking paddy, lift you feet up going downhill

Bus stops in Nottingham were red for motor buses & green for trollies. If both used the stop there was one of each colour. There were request stops and compulsary stops.

I'd always remembered it as RED stops were compulsory and YELLOW were request.

As far as manners go I think passengers are now more polite than they were 40 years ago. Nowadays most people thank the driver as they alight, that was certainly not the case when I caught the bus to school.