handysandy

Nightclubs from the 60's

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Parkside Club. Yes I went there a few times!

I was a regular there too, expect we could have been in the same crowd, seeing as I used to go there with a gang who mainly lived in your neck of the woods, the water-ski crowd consisting of builders, carpet-fitters and the like.  Great times but strangely I don’t have many memories of The Parkside except the ladies loos where the cubicles were like padded cells, with fabric walls!  Miss Kathy bossing the ‘girls’ about and bar upstairs listening to my favourite music ........ when I hear Marvin Gaye singing ‘I Heard it through  the Grapevine’ it takes me straight back to those days.  I had a boyfriend who was a Captain in the American Army Special Forces, he came to visit me and I took him to the Parkside, he thought it was quaint!!  Mention that because ‘American Pie’ was popular at that time so that also reminds me of the Parkside.  

Yes, Miss Kathy's girls! I wonder what their function was? I believe they were known as hostesses. I think there were private rooms upstairs. The food was good though.

I don’t think it takes a lot of imagination what the Parkside girls were up to.  I understand Miss Kathy had a mini version of a State Funeral when she passed away, the horse-drawn carriage going past the Old Market Square etc.  I was away from Nottingham by then so only know through hear-say.