• 3 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I am in the wrong forum but read a lovely note from a girl who loved Neil of the Heidelbergers..........he is my brother, Tomo on here..............I always hated him.................all the g

Hi all I've only just heard about this site and wanted to let you know about the humble beginnings of Carl's Fables as I was a founder member. Can't remember the exact date but it was around 1966 whe

carls fables I first saw carls fables at the Carlton hotel in the sixties and was hooked with the band right away. I saw them three times a week all over Notts . miners welfares, working

Posted Images

Have enjoyed wandering through this thread. Particularly te references to Carl and doug (Powdrill) if memory serves........I never did get to make his wardrobes!! A nice man as I recall who loved the Ronnie Corbett monologue.

My news is probably old and registered here already. I apologise if that is the case.

Carl sadly died about a year ago after suffering with 'Parkinsons disease'.

The other member here known as Tomo is my brother, I like him was a Heidleburger as opposed to idlebuggers as some here say.

Someone here also asserts we were from Cotmanhay, no, all from Nottingham other than Carl who was from Wallasey near Liverpool.

Carl would speak about his Fable days which he remembered with fondness. Doug the drummer would occasionally play with the Heidelbergers.

In my time, the Heidelbergers over time comprised two trumpeters, Gerald and Terry, two Sousaphone players, Alan and Graham, two drummers, Wilf and Clive two Accordion players, Neil and Alan with all sorts of guest performers, there was only ONE Carl.

lovely to read the information here, wonderful memories........as Pete the manager was oft to say.........we'll go on at 7 and work backwards..........it's like moving the dead.........sadly many including trevor now are......dead

Alan

• Upvote 2

I think I am in the wrong forum but read a lovely note from a girl who loved Neil of the Heidelbergers..........he is my brother, Tomo on here..............I always hated him.................all the girls adored him and me, home each night on the bus by myself!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Lol.............sorry Lainie...he lives on Tenerife now

.owns a restaurant and tours the world playing...............I wonder if I knew you.........I was the ugly one in the band!!!

and I couldn't afford chips it was a hard life being famous you know...........lol

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I can remember a band called Carl's Fables from the late 60's and through the 70's saw them many times around the Nottingham area, I remember he had a really good guitarist named

John Holmes, they did a very good version of the Tim Rose song Morning Dew, the last time I saw them was mid 70's I think they were the resident band at the Dancing Slipper in West Bridgeford then.

• 2 years later...
On 4/4/2008 at 3:08 PM, Peterbell said:

Hi Guys

I was the bass player in the original band.

Carl - Singer

John - Lead Guitar

Doug - Drummer

Pete - Bass

I have quite a few memories if anyone would like to know anything inparticular - Just mail.

Do you remember the "you've shit on a frog" routine?

• 3 years later...

Hi Alan,

I remember you as being lovely!!!! and my mate fancied you rotten.

So Neil sounds like he is living his dream - good luck to him. He sounds like he is enjoying every minute from his posts.

What are you up to now? Are you still involved with music? I have only just seen your posts - and was thrilled that you had replied to mine.

xxx

12 hours ago, lainie3961 said:

Hi Alan,

I remember you as being lovely!!!! and my mate fancied you rotten.   So Neil sounds like he is living his dream - good luck to him. He sounds like he is enjoying every minute from his posts.

What are you up to now? Are you still involved with music? I have only just seen your posts - and was thrilled that you had replied to mine.

lainie3961, I hope you get a reply but a lot of the people who posted in this thread only ever logged in once or twice and haven't been back for several years.

We booked Carl's Fables many times for the 360 Club, and for a period, probably around 1969/70, had them as 'resident band' on Sunday Nights.

At least this site seems to be still active and up to date:

http://www.playedinaband.com/groups a-z.htm

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

lainie3961, I hope you get a reply but a lot of the people who posted in this thread only ever logged in once or twice and haven't been back for several years.

I know - but I live in hope - you have seen it so maybe they will also lol. Thanks for your message though . . . .  Are there any threads that are current do you know?

Ian.. yes, we booked Pete and Billy Campbell and the Mighty Sparrows several times, when they were getting increasingly popular...and expensive!

I recall seeing Billy,  by then known as simply Bill Campbell on  New Faces or similar in the early 70s and he released a couple of singles.. but I don't have any more info.

• Like 1