Chritstmas Greetings

Well here, we are another year very nearly over.

Can I again thank members old and new for contributing your Nottingham memories to Nottstalgia Nottingham Forums.

Its these memories that make the site what it is today.

Also thanks to the board staff who have kept the board running on track

We hit a couple of problems this year, we lost the board for over a week when our hosts server came under attack closing it down.

Nottstalgia was moved to new hosting where we had not been but a couple of weeks when I received an email from the new host.

"Our servers have detected your website is consuming very high CPU levels... it is hitting 100% limit consistently.

Please reduce your CPU usage as soon as possible, ...Failure to respond will result in account suspension."

We can see from our stats that thousands of visitors from all over the world read these forums, hence the heavy loading on the server.

For a number of years we have come out on top on all search engine rankings. These search rankings bring the visitors and new members to our site. Suddenly we started losing our Google web ranking, Nottingham searches were not returning our pages in the results. First thought to be Google's new method of rating web sites, our visitors started to drop. drastically. This was eventually traced to the file on our site (robots.txt) that tells each search-bot including Google, what pages we want indexing. After a software update this had been replaced with a file that told the searchbots not to index any of our pages! Once rectified Google started crawling indexing our site. We now are back at the top of the rankings (see About /robots.txt)

This year, sadly we lost more members, we remember those as we have in the past, and we have lost a few good members over the years. You will see forums renamed as a tribute to those members. Members also lost their loved ones.

In recent months our visitor figures have increased drastically and our membership continues to grow. I have had the pleasure of meeting some of our members and always enjoy meeting members for the first time.

In November 1994, I sat at the computer in my late Dads apartment in Los Angeles. When I had an idea. I had been running A forum for Trent Bridge school pupils, www.tbforums.hasaw.org.uk. It had a few members, but I wanted to do more with the site. I decided to expand it to cover Notts, and had the idea for Nottstalgia... The rest you know but, what I did not know at that time was that it would become more than a chat board, in fact it has become a worldwide resource for Nottingham recent history. All down to input from members of this site.

Can I take this opportunity wish all Members, site staff and visitors to our site, A very merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

Mick

• Upvote 3

Well, it's Christmas Day (just) and Santa still hasn't come. Maybe I should go to bed and then he will...lol. I'd also like to wish everyone on Nottstalgia a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's a year and a few weeks since I joined Nottstalgia and I must say how much I've enjoyed being a member. I've not always agreed with everything other members have written but then again, I don't expect they've agreed with everything I've put either. I've stated before that I think Nottstalgia are very lucky to have such knowledgeable people as members. People will have a distant memory in the back of their minds and will put a post on Nottstalgia. Before long other members are contributing to the thread with comments and photos that brings alive that distant memory. I joined Nottstalgia in the hope of finding old school friends from Trent Bridge School but instead I've learned so much about the history of Nottingham and of the lives of the other members of Nottstalgia. I'd like to thank you all and wish you all the best for 2013.

Good on ya Mick for a fantastic job. It is a great site with a family feel, complete with the occasional bickering but above all else; a site that abounds with help, friendliness and care for each other.

Long may it remain so!

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New Year to each and every one of you.

Trevor and Helen

Happy Christmas everybody and a dry New Year!

A Merry Christmas and an even greater 2013 to all and Nottstalgia!

I was off line for a good while but, back with a sparkling new heart valve, I found the site still here and still thriving.

Gor bless us, every one!

well happy christmas to you all will be thinking of you all today and our absent friends today

Best wishes for christmas and the upcoming year to all forum members. Its my second christmas being a member of the forum and i see you all as my little 'internet family' so say iv never met any of you (Although ill have to make it to one of the get togthers soon!) i feel like i know all of you so well and id like to thank you all for being there for chats and helping me when iv needed some help (with garden stuff, fish etc) much appreciated!

Thoughts this christmas are with the family of the members who have passed on, and also the members who have lost love ones in the past year and in the past.

I hope you all have a wonderful christmas, a lovely dinner and get many of nice pressents! Im being trusted to cook the dinner today, So if you dont hear from me... you know why!

:biggrin: A Very Merry Christmas & A happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year to all Nottstalgians :biggrin:

Many thanks Mick, for all the hard work you put in to making this site such a friendly & informative place to visit, thanks too to all your Elves' for their hard work...................

There are so many knowledgeable amateur historians, who know so much about the City we all once, or still do, call home. I wish I could have met you all, but will endeavour to make it to a meet up in 2013, God willing.

:)

• Upvote 1

T'would help if the title of the thread was spelt right.

You never heard of Chritstmas?........................What a sheltered life you've led on your estate! Ask one of your below stairs people, I'm sure they'll know............ :laugh:

• Upvote 1

T'would help if the title of the thread was spelt right.

Did someone say summat about reading text on this Christmas Skin?

chritstmas.jpg

The wine didnt help neither!

I'd just like to add my thanks to Mick and the team for providing and looking after the site for another year. It is appreciated.

Thanks also to all who contribute and make the site what it is.