How accurate is your tax return?

me too mick if i had know i could have gone to advice centre id have gone months ago

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not had to fill in a tax return for about 40 years.

A very good and valid point. To make returns all on line would be divisive and discriminates against sections of the population who do not wish to use a computer. It is the same problem when on line

...but, isn't that the same as death?

• 1 month later...

well six weeks gone by still not recieved any confirmation from tax office, so decided to go down today make another appointment at tax office was lucky got one for 3pm this afternoon. well in i go wait twenty mins to be seen i was early but they 10mins late and she had no one before me., not the same lady so had to explain every thing again and show her paper work she looked at computer said yes email had been sent 15th jan i said well i still have not heard anything from them and was told i would have confirmation within six weeks . i asked if they could ring and find out what was happeningafter looking and finding out they did not have a direct number for the department she needed she had to go throughthe number at call centre but as she got a direct line for that she got through straight away now being told they had not got this email and she has to send it again and then they had to remove the p14 that is causing all the problems then updatemy records before they could do anything and they could not do this untill they had recived the info from nottingham tax office again and it has to come from someone higher up than the person who was dealing with me so she had got tosend it to her mamager to pass on to the under payment

dept could be six to eight weeks againand inbetween time i sould pay the payments that i had been payingas they would say i had defaulted on the payments and take me to court .. i told them i would not pay as they had addmited to me they were in the wrong so take me to court and if i had not heard anything in the next 28 days i would sue for stress and harrisment she look at me a bit surprized and said she would make a note of it in her letter to the relivant departments. we wait to see. keep you informed.

on the pluss side i said that because of there mistakein my assesment due to this i have been paying 20 per cent tax on my city council pention of just over 100 pounds a month she ajusted my accout for that and gave mea new tax code wich means i will no longer be paying tax as i dont earn enough to pay tax so at least a bit of a result promised i would get letter to me and city council within seven days, well we will see.

Sounds just like a script from a TV sitcom, you did well to stay calm Babs, I think I may not have done so well! I await the next episode with bated breath and the expectation that they will now get things right this time. I thnk a lot of us have had the frustration and anger of trying to deal wth our friends at HMRC!!

well concidering this problem now been going on for nearly 7 months now i think i have been pitty patientbut its no use loosing it with the person in nottingham because they not resposible for this mistake just trying to help get it sorted out. but i am going to write a letter to the relivant department today as well stated if i do dot hear from them in 28 days going to sue them and go to press send it special delivery so they carnt say they have not got it. will let you all know there reponce..

your right there mick but i have been told they have to pay you interest on tax returns now but anyway letter sent wednessday they should have had it by now .spoke to the solisiter wednessday too and she is also going to send them a letter from the law sociity so we will see what happens.

they will if i have to go to liverpool and find out who made this mistake in the first place or if they take me to court already got a letter drafted for mps and the press all that needs to be done noe is print them if nessesary.

and anybody who knows me knows i dont give in easily when i know im in the right

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you just LOVE the way these things are always in the interests of the client? :angry2: Do we expect HMRC to disagree with the action?

Have you tried to ring the HMRC now and not been slightly annoyed and angry with the "speed" of answering? I admit that if and when you do eventually get through an answer to the query is usually forthcoming, but to try and discuss anything with the slightest hint of complication, as in Babs case for instance, could be a nightmare, and with the extra number of calls that will be generated, how do they expect to cope?

Rather cynically I think that perhaps this might have more to do with making even more folk unemployed and presumably make "savings" for the benefit of the Exchequer.

I bet its an 0845 or 0871 number!

(Quick search) Yes it is! 0845 300 0627

There are alternative national numbers that can be rung from your mobile call allowance

See http://www.saynoto0870.com/

01355 359022 Taxes Helpline

This is “overseas” number. Withhold your number (using 141) when calling from UK or else the call will be blocked.

Expect to be told off for not using premium number!

• 1 month later...

well here the next episode in babs tax saga

5th march wrote my letter of complaint to tax office posted recorded delivery' giving them 28 days to reply 2 days later recieve a letter from them telling me they had reduced my debt as i was entitled to 260 pound rebate for year 2011/2012. but they had taken it off my debt went yet again 8th march to tax advice centre they said still nothing had been done to take ofdebt of my notes. also told me that letters take up to six weeks to reach the relivent department. they faxed a copy i had given them to the department concerned. wait 6 weeks still no respoce from them .so last friday i go to law centre to ask for appointment with them again also ask for contact number for local mpthey gave it to me. come home phone speak to mps secretary she asked me to explain my problem this i did said it sounded like something they could help me with would i please send a covering letter plus copies of any relivant info i had got. so as soon as i came off the phone wrote letter and copied all letters ect put in envelope and take to the office on regent st once traffic had died down.

wednessday morning i had a letter of reply saying he would be happy to take up my case and would i ask law centre advicer to contact as he would like to leiaze with themtook coppy of letter down to them thurday afternoon adviser rings to say he had spoke to them and they were both going to send letters to them .

this morning i recieved a letter from tax office saying sorry i was unhappy with the sevice i had been given and the complaint was being looked into and i should hear by 8th may .another 2 weeks at least. have just come back from taking copy of this to mp and law centre.

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR THE NEX EPISODE IN THIS LONG SAGA.

on closer insepection on re reading fridays letter noticed they had sent from them noticed they had not put my correct national insurance number on it phoned the direct line for complaints department today first time they cut me off had to phoned them again told them in no uncertain terms but kepping my temper and not swearing at them told them i thought it was compleetly unaceptable and under the circumstances of my complaint this was more than likely what they had done in the first place, promised to get in touch with the person dealing with itand get them to contact me asp told them well you will be recieving a letter soon from my mp and legal advisor very soon any way and if i do not get it sorted i will be looking to be contacting national newspapers so please be sure to pass that on too.

YES RESULT JUST A FEW MINUETS AGO RECIEVED A PHONE CALL FROM COMPLAINTS DEPARTMENT BIRMINGHAM. THEY SAY IT HAS BEEN SORTED OUT AT LAST SORRY FOR THE PROBLEMS IT HAS CAUSED MEAND I WILL BE GETTING MY MONEY ALREADY PAID TO THEM BACK AND MY TAX REBATE SHORTLY. SO EVEN THEY ADDMITTING THEY WERE WRONG AT LAST.

NOW LETS SEE HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE THEM TO RETURN THE MONEY TO ME IF IM LUCKY MIGHT GET IT IN TIME FOR ROCKERS REUNION SKEGGY IN AUGUST ALMOST A YEAR AFTER ALL THIS STARTED.

WATCH OUT FOR THE FINAL CHAPTER OF MY SAGA WHEN I EVENTUALLY GET BACK WHAT THEY OWE ME.

BABS

Well done Babs, your perseverance finally paid off. I got an 8 page form today from HMRC relating to my Dad's tax. He passed away on 6th April, the first day of the new tax year. In bold print it states that this information they require relates to the period 6th April 2013 to 6th April 2013 !!!!!