Has anybody bought any compost recently, its all crap!

The bags I have bought seemed to be mostly sawdust! They say they contains some new substance,

and 'Peat Reduced'

I recycle my old compost by adding Growmore and Bonemeal.

It looks like you wil never be able to buy good compost again?

I always make my own compost I have two compost heaps down the allotment & a bin in the garden.

At least this way I can assure the quality.

And it's free....:)

• Upvote 1

Good Evening

My father in law always swore by the compost supplied by Flora lands on Cat foot lane in Arnold just off Mapperly Plains, I'm not sure where they got it from but he had one of the nicest veggie patch and borders I've ever seen.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I have three compost containers made from Euro pallets and three plastic compost bins. Using a combination of home made garden compost, horse pooh, farmyard manure, council compost, leaf mould and sand I make my own potting and growing-on compost. For growing on I add fish, blood and bone and a little bonemeal. Keeps it organic.

It is possible in some areas to buy council made compost very cheaply and it is tested for safety before sale. Council compost can be a bit 'woody' but I use it whenever I can get it.

• 5 weeks later...

I have hundreds in me compost bins. Trouble is getting to them. I have to empty the bins to find the little boggers!

• 2 years later...

I finally purchased a compost bin. Chuck most things in it but walking the dogs on the local park today, I saw loads of Osstodds.

Went back with a strong plastic recycling bag, but boy is it heavy. Three bags later there is still loads up there.

I also noticed that there was strong lush green growth on some kind of plant in the hedge rows, have grabbed a bag of that and chucked it in the compost bin along with the horse manure. I hope this is ok.

There must be lots of stuff you can find growing wild that you can compost down?

Like you Mick I reuse my old compost and make my own in two Daleks. I always buy new for seed cutting purely because its guaranteed sterile, last year I tried and liked Homebase 33ltr grow bags 70%plus peat, been and bought 4 more this year and they are still good.

Be wary of that fresh hoss muck it can scorch your plants if you use it to soon and don't forget to throw some 'browns' in the bin.

Dread to think what's in some of the commercial stuff now. They say a lot of the so called cow/Hoss manure can contain antibiotics that the animals have been treated with. Some may even contain sewage farm poop which can even be contaminated with pharmaceuticals. Gross!! Just what you need in your tomatoes.

Try to make my own as much as I can from old kitchen scraps, and plants at the end of their lives.

The plant that grows in abundance, lush and green, on local fields where I walk the dogs is Cow Parsley.

This is what I am adding to the Compost heap.

I'd test that hoss muck before I use it.

There is a selective weed killer used on grazing land that can and does pass through the digestive system of a horse, get this on your patch and you are in serious trouble. One lady gardener I know from Shardlow ended up stripping the top soil of her plot and replacing it cost a bloody fortune.

Mix some of the hoss muck with some known clean compost and plant a couple of runner beans in it if the mix is bad they will be badly deformed. If that the case bin it.

Gone are the days of following the hoss and collecting the muck for dad's roses I am afraid.

That's easy peesy AMINO PY RALID A as in A not ay So "amino pie raylid"

I was warning our plot holders back in 2005. The problem is that it's used on grass so the livestock farmer doesn't know if it's in the feed unless they're organic. It is known to stunt beans and potatoes. If you can, get spent hops instead. They're far more plentiful now and better for the soil than manure.

• 4 weeks later...

I tipped a binful of spent hops and several Kg of spent malt grains into one of my compost Daleks last weekend - I've just made another five galleons of beer.

thumbsup

• Upvote 1