There are one or two things I recall which set Nottnum apart from the rest of the UK for one reason or another. Anyone else remember these, or any other oddities?

Am I right that we used to work on Good Friday but get Easter Tuesday off instead? If I'm right, when did that change?

Am I right that we played darts from 6 foot rather than the more usual 8-9 foot that was played everywhere else and is is played today? I'm sure that's why I can't play darts today! Was this an East Midlands thing?

The darts thing was 6 foot 6 inch for women and 7 foot 9 and three quarters for blokes.

I too remember working Good Friday, and it being a bugger to get to work at Pork Farms for 6.00am as the buses ran a 'Sunday schedule' , that was in the early/mid 80s

Up until the deregulation of the licencing trade a couple of years back it was still mandatory to close at 10.30 on Good Friday.

There are one or two things I recall which set Nottnum apart from the rest of the UK for one reason or another. Anyone else remember these, or any other oddities?

Am I right that we used to work on Good Friday but get Easter Tuesday off instead? If I'm right, when did that change?

Am I right that we played darts from 6 foot rather than the more usual 8-9 foot that was played everywhere else and is is played today? I'm sure that's why I can't play darts today! Was this an East Midlands thing?

Found this via Google, I also recall playing from 6ft in the 60's, was told it was because the majority of Nott'm pub bars were so small, anyroadup I googled this earlier;

"The 6 foot league you refer to is the Notts Central Darts league - one of the oldest in the country still running. You'll find a lot of players in this league still throw from 6 foot (they refused to change when the throws were standardised), however not all the players (like myself) throw from the 6 foot marker. "

Source: http://www.thedartsforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-6962.html

Sauce: Daddies

• Upvote 1

Found this via Google, I also recall playing from 6ft in the 60's, was told it was because the majority of Nott'm pub bars were so small, anyroadup I googled this earlier;

"The 6 foot league you refer to is the Notts Central Darts league - one of the oldest in the country still running. You'll find a lot of players in this league still throw from 6 foot (they refused to change when the throws were standardised), however not all the players (like myself) throw from the 6 foot marker. "

Source: http://www.thedartsforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-6962.html

Sauce: Daddies

Thanks Paulus for reassuring my memory function! I was sure we played form 6 feet!

I don't recall whether I had Good Friday off or not now, been too many years.. For the last seven years I was working in the UK I worked most holidays as they were production shifts, BG had to keep the plasterboard plant running 24/7 most of the year... The only holidays I know I never worked were Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Up at Boulby Mine in North Yorks I was on an odd shift system and if it fell on a Gazetted public holiday, tough luck!! We had the choice there of being paid triple time or double time and a day off in lieu, most of us chose the latter, gave us an extra weeks holiday a year.. They closed down for Christmas Day and Boxing day...

• 3 years later...

RR I really like your first sentence, but I believe Good Friday isn't complete without Easter Sunday....

• Upvote 4

My spuds went in on "Tatty planting day" last week.  Here in the far north and over on the Orkney Isles there is a local one-day holiday especially for planting spuds.  It goes back to the days of subsistence living when potatoes were the staple in the diet and everyone planted some.

With family arriving on Monday I have to go out to the north coast to see if the Puffins have arrived onshore yet for the nesting season.  If they are there it will be a  Good Friday for me....taking my camera along, just in case.

• Upvote 2